The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, reading it now...

But why do I NOT believe this when it comes to Disney:

For Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi, all of the original camera neg, the VistaVision effects footage, and SE film-outs was scanned in 16-bit 4K by Reliance MediaWorks (formerly Lowry Digital). Lucas once again took the opportunity to tweak the editing, digital VFX, and color timing. In addition to the new 4K DIs, new film-out protection master interpositives were created. New cut negatives were created as well, combining the original camera negative with film-out internegative of the new VFX. (This is why it’s often said that the original theatrical versions technically no longer exist—the OCN has been conformed to the new versions. However, I’ve confirmed with individuals directly responsible that everything—including all theatrical film trims—is well preserved and protected by Disney.) The studio’s new Ultra HD releases (and the recent Disney+ versions) were mastered from these 4K DIs, complete with color grading for high dynamic range (only HDR10 is available on the discs, but Dolby Vision is available on the Digital version).

Well you could say that about anything. I guess it’s up to everyone individually to trust or mistrust information. I trust this guy he’s been in the industry a long time.

Its definitely reassuring as the other review I saw said they are a waste of money. I'm just trying to get to the bottom of it to decide if I really want to get yet another set of OT discs.

Yeah, reading it now...

But why do I NOT believe this when it comes to Disney:

For Star Wars, Empire, and Jedi, all of the original camera neg, the VistaVision effects footage, and SE film-outs was scanned in 16-bit 4K by Reliance MediaWorks (formerly Lowry Digital). Lucas once again took the opportunity to tweak the editing, digital VFX, and color timing. In addition to the new 4K DIs, new film-out protection master interpositives were created. New cut negatives were created as well, combining the original camera negative with film-out internegative of the new VFX. (This is why it’s often said that the original theatrical versions technically no longer exist—the OCN has been conformed to the new versions. However, I’ve confirmed with individuals directly responsible that everything—including all theatrical film trims—is well preserved and protected by Disney.) The studio’s new Ultra HD releases (and the recent Disney+ versions) were mastered from these 4K DIs, complete with color grading for high dynamic range (only HDR10 is available on the discs, but Dolby Vision is available on the Digital version).
Well contact him on Twitter. He’s a stand up guy, really open and highly critical of Disney when they stuff something up. He has contacts everywhere but I would suggest he gets the technical information from Lowery and not from Disney.
A couple of his favorite Disney peeves are piss poor Atmos tracks or no Atmos tracks at all, the reduction of the special features over the years or unique special features spread over multiple formats and titles that are just MIA.

Last edited:
I know the 4K Star Wars movies are not true 4K, but is there any reason to get ANH or ESB in 4K?

Any great 4K movies out there right now?
1637954966155.gif

Bill Hunt: only HDR10 is available on the discs, Dolby Vision is available on the Digital version

So the discs do not have Dolby Vision but the streaming from Disney+ does?

Bill Hunt: only HDR10 is available on the discs, Dolby Vision is available on the Digital version

So the discs do not have Dolby Vision but the streaming from Disney+ does?
Yes true. I don’t know a lot about the newer specs and just go with my eyeballs ultimately. I know DV is considered better but the discs have a higher bandwidth. I guess neither is optimal you just have to weigh the pros and cons. There is a guy on YouTube i will find his name that can be highly critical on some 4K titles and he goes into extreme detail on the data. I will find his name. If memory serves he thought Rogue One was the best SW 4K and i have to say that’s one spectacular disc.

I have the Rogue One 3D version... maybe I have to get RO 4K as well? :slap
This is the guy I was talking about he praises RO but from memory had issues with the OT on both Disney and disc.

He comes from a highly technical point of view and his opinion is probably closer to what you called faux 4K.

oh and while from memory he didn’t like the Blade Runners to my old eyes they are spectacular. Can’t believe I forget to mention them!

Man, he's dry. :lol But I like his little sound effects.

I really have no idea what he's talking about but I'll take his word for it. I don't think he's taking about 4K though but HDR levels.

Last edited:
He's full of crap. His rants are nothing but anti-Disney BS. Pay him no mind for honest technical reviews on anything they release.

OK. I wondered. He sounded like he was enjoying bashing too much.

If they have the 4Ks at Best Buy I'll be getting them today. ANH and ESB at least. Maybe ROTJ if I have to. RO another time. And that will be it. :)

If they have the 4Ks at Best Buy I'll be getting them today. ANH and ESB at least. Maybe ROTJ if I have to. RO another time. And that will be it. :)
But they are special edition....

Someone a couple of weeks ago posted a link to this:
https://www.etsy.com/au/listing/105...with-dnr-return-of-the?ref=shop_home_active_9
If you're familiar with the Star Wars 4K77 project, it's essentially ANH and ROTJ (ESB in the near future) original theatrical versions restored in 4K. Two versions with Digital Noise Reduction and without. Great if you dislike the changes made.

Back