The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: Blu-ray wins format war

I was glad to hear this since for once, the technologically superior product won out.

I can't wait for the Back to the Future trilogy, Transformers and The Rundown on blu-ray! :monkey5

Based on the fact that the Blu Ray disc has the greater storage capacity: yes.

There was a lot of discussion over technologically superior. It's best to say that both had advantages and disadvantages that makes it impossible to say one was technologically superior to the other.

Anyways, I want Indy, LOTR, Star Wars (plus the new series). Firefly(maybe, I heard it wasn't shot in HD, but Universal played it in HD on TV so I'm not so sure).

Based on the fact that the Blu Ray disc has the greater storage capacity: yes.

That must be why they released only the theatrical version of Live Free or Die Hard on BR and both versions on the standard DVD :rolleyes:

No point in having it if you're not gonna f'n use it

And what does storage capacity have to do with anything? You get the same audio and video output on an HD disk. It's not like they're gonna start putting entire seasons of shows on one disk. People are too stupid to realize it's the same amount of material and think they're getting a better deal on a 5-6 disk season.

hd-dvd-walmart.jpg
hd-dvd-walmart.jpg

hd-dvd-walmart.jpg
hd-dvd-walmart.jpg

hd-dvd-walmart.jpg
hd-dvd-walmart.jpg

:rock:rock:rock

It's not like they're gonna start putting entire seasons of shows on one disk.

Yes they already do put entire seasons on one disc for BluRay. Dont know about HD because I never got into that side of the war :lol

That must be why they released only the theatrical version of Live Free or Die Hard on BR and both versions on the standard DVD :rolleyes:

Goodness knows they may have done that for milking purposes. Anybody crazy enough to spend that much on a normal blu-ray edition is crazy enough to maube buy it again. Besides, Fox kinda sucks like that.

No point in having it if you're not gonna f'n use it

And what does storage capacity have to do with anything? You get the same audio and video output on an HD disk. It's not like they're gonna start putting entire seasons of shows on one disk. People are too stupid to realize it's the same amount of material and think they're getting a better deal on a 5-6 disk season.

Exactly, they have been doing this with regular DVDs for years why stop now? Plus a lot of people have the idea that you can't fit all that on one DVD or a few dvds so they fell like they are not getting something if its on 2-3 dvds vs 5-6 dvds and are less likely to buy it. I know it sounds crazy but I have seen people with this mentality.

Yes they already do put entire seasons on one disc for BluRay. Dont know about HD because I never got into that side of the war :lol

Not trying to be a dick or anything but do you have any examples. Every show I've seen from Netflix or anywhere else is multiple disks for each season.

I love this news just for the fact that i know ill need only one player now, this is what i was waiting for. Now when i buy a player ill have no other format taking titles i like.

I have never seen an entire season of any show on one disk on Blu Ray...prove me wrong and I will :monkey1

Sorry I admit I did not read through this entire thread and I have not been following the format wars. But as the title of this thread states, did Blue-Ray win, no more HD, just one format now? Should I finally go out and purchase a PS3? I just want a quick update, thanks:D

Sorry I admit I did not read through this entire thread and I have not been following the format wars. But as the title of this thread states, did Blue-Ray win, no more HD, just one format now? Should I finally go out and purchase a PS3? I just want a quick update, thanks:D

Yes, Toshiba--which is the main developer of the HD-DVD format has stopped production of their HD-DVD products which kills the format. So far Universal has already announced that they are switching to Blu-Ray and no news yet on Paramount, although they can't be far behind.

Thanks, guess I'll be keeping my eyes open for a deal on a PS3, any chance a new format is going to emerge out of this to challenge Blue Ray?

I have never seen an entire season of any show on one disk on Blu Ray...prove me wrong and I will :monkey1

Weeds: Season One is presented on a single dual layer Blu-ray disc, because it only contained ten half-hour episodes.

That is by far the exception to the rule, though. Other sets like Lost and Prison Break and Smallville are all five or six disc sets.

Back