The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is best you take a valium before reading this.

Posted by Josh Zyber
- January 13, 2016

When 4k Is Not 4k

Thanks jye, repped you. I've been debating getting the new JVC RS400 with my tax return money as an upgrade from my recently purchased Benq W1070. Mainly I'm wanting better blacks. JVC added HDR compatibility to the 2016 model, but I'm not sure now is a good time to upgrade. :dunno

The Good Dinosaur from Best Buy has Lenticular packaging (No 3D) and from Target there is extra content plus if you pre-order, you get a $5 gift card.

I wanted to pre-order the Snow White Digibook from Target but the site isn't letting me for some reason. Blu-ray.com is calling this a digibook but I'm not real sure. Looks like a separate book to me.

I already own Snow White from it when was a super limited time release from the Disney Vault...the first time. :rolleyes:

The Good Dinosaur from Best Buy has Lenticular packaging (No 3D) and from Target there is extra content plus if you pre-order, you get a $5 gift card.

I wanted to pre-order the Snow White Digibook from Target but the site isn't letting me for some reason. Blu-ray.com is calling this a digibook but I'm not real sure. Looks like a separate book to me.

Best Buy's giving 250 Reward Points ($5 Rewards certificate) for pre-ordering the Good Dinosaur as well, in addition to these titles:

pre-order-movies-and-get-rewarded-150629 - Best Buy

So do you get the rewards points after the movie ships, or right away?

Last edited:
Okay, so...there's a bluray I want that is also available in 4K for around $10 more. Should I pass on it?

If it says HDR then go for it.

We're all doomed anyways, I will need to repurchase at the very least 100 movies in 4K/HDR.

Might as well start future proofing now. :lol

Screw it, some splurge on cigarettes cocaine and hookers.

I splurge on movies.

Last edited:
If it says HDR then go for it.

We're all doomed anyways, I will need to repurchase at the very least 100 movies in 4K/HDR.

Might as well start future proofing now. :lol

Screw it, some splurge on cigarettes cocaine and hookers.

i splurge on movies.
I noticed many of the online sellers don't mention if the movie is in HDR, which is strange, since for me it was the biggest selling point.

If the movie is The Martian, the answer is yes, it is in HDR.

Well well well, school isn't out yet fellas (and Ween).

Still waiting on final data to show that the 1080p version of the movie on these 4K discs are actually a full blown 4:4:4 version.

If so, then they will not be your grandfathers 4:2:0 1080p.

Because that combined with the 10-bit depth, wider color gamut and HDR can still make for the 'upscaled' UHD Blu-ray's to look noticeably better than a standard 1080p HD Blu-ray.

But to take advantage of that you will need a 2016 4K TV.

Your crappy 2015 4K TV's and your existing 1080p TV's won't cut it. :lol

Last edited:
Back