The Blu-Ray Upcoming, News & Info Thread

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I never saw the movie, so it's a blind buy. I was on the fence about the 4k vs 3D, as I can't watch either right now, but I'm hoping that will change very soon.

I wasnt terribly impressed with the 3D in Prometheus, which is what im basing my decision on.

It's all with an eye towards the future at this point.

I never saw the movie, so it's a blind buy. I was on the fence about the 4k vs 3D, as I can't watch either right now, but I'm hoping that will change very soon.

I wasnt terribly impressed with the 3D in Prometheus, which is what im basing my decision on.

It's all with an eye towards the future at this point.

I've had The Martian 3D Blu for a couple of weeks now and I really enjoyed the 3D in it. Not many popout effects but the depth is great.

I think it is just their way of getting more films that they want a win. If you look at the comedy category the last few years, you'll see what I mean.

One of these days the Golden Globes are really going to offend someone with those whacked out film categories. "And the Best Comedy Award goes to...The Diary of Anne Frank!"

How did The Martian win best comedy?

Because the GG wanted it to win something so it qualified to be a comedy because there was 4 or 5 chuckle moments in it. There was less competition in that category. In other words, it shouldn't have.

I liked it when Ricky Gervais said "I can't believe some of you celebrities don't like coming to this award presentation. It's not like there's any pressure, the studios have already paid for your wins...."

A lot of nervous laughter on that one. :lol

For anyone who doesn't have it (and has Prime), Amazon has the "Limited Edition" Blu-Ray box-set of the '66 Batman TV Series for $91.99 for Prime Members (66% off; probably for the 50th anniversary).

The ability to display 4K is insignificant next to the power of HDR.

So the new American Cinematographer says that The Force Awakens' 35mm and 65mm negatives were scanned at 4K, but the actual DI work was done at 2K, the DCP is 2K, but it was mastered in HDR. My first thought was that they're already setting themselves up to reprocess the film at 4K down the road but honestly, after witnessing how gorgeous it looked on a 70mm IMAX screen (projected digitally in 3D) why would it ever need to be 4K for our piddly little 50 inch screens? Is that just the power of HDR jye?

I also read that due to the speed with which Disney is cranking out MCU films (and soon SW as well) that they process all of them with 2K to speed up the workflow. But like TFA, the Civil War trailer in full IMAX was also stunningly clear. Is 4K totally irrelevant and DOA?

Here I thought I was a home theater enthusiast...and I don't even know what HDR is. :huh Off to google.

So the new American Cinematographer says that The Force Awakens' 35mm and 65mm negatives were scanned at 4K, but the actual DI work was done at 2K, the DCP is 2K, but it was mastered in HDR. My first thought was that they're already setting themselves up to reprocess the film at 4K down the road but honestly, after witnessing how gorgeous it looked on a 70mm IMAX screen (projected digitally in 3D) why would it ever need to be 4K for our piddly little 50 inch screens? Is that just the power of HDR jye?

I also read that due to the speed with which Disney is cranking out MCU films (and soon SW as well) that they process all of them with 2K to speed up the workflow. But like TFA, the Civil War trailer in full IMAX was also stunningly clear. Is 4K totally irrelevant and DOA?

Ok, here goes, come back in 5.

Me waiting for jye's response:

post-33777-Matt-Damon-growing-old-gif-Sav-HZVr.gif

:monkey3

:lol :lol :lol

4K is absolutely relevant.......but only above 80", some even say 90". I play it safe and always say 80" but 90" is about right, split the difference and make it 85". :lol

8K is just obnoxious now. :lol

Word is that 8K with 8K material looks like 3D without the need for glasses! :google

Anyways, lets get back down to earth here shall we.

Onto scanning masters. Always go big, 4K/8K, whatever....spend the money and future proof that **** yo!

Onto the really important (good) stuff now, HDR! Yeah baby, now we're talking!

The HDR that we're getting will work alongside Wide Color Gamut and 10 bit color depth, technology living together for mutual advantage.

HDR are your absolutes khev.

Absolute contrast, absolute blacks, absolute whites, absolute colors, absolute depth!

While the new 4K/HDR standards coming out very soon for home media will not output the super max Rec 2020 12 bit standard, they are still damn impressive nonetheless!

What we have now in our homes (even with 1st gen 4K) with non HDR content is 8 bit 16.7 million colors (XVYCC "Deep Color" (never utilized) Rec 709, you know...the ole green256xblue256xred256 formula. HDR was non existent within these specs, light output was just not powerful enough ontop of other limitations.

We will now be in the middle at 10 bit color depth aka DCI P3 standard.

The great thing is that DCI P3 color is what we see in the theater now!

We are a ways off from 12 bit content (Rec 2020), sure the studios have it now but they first need to milk 10 bit content just like they did with bluray 8 bit, greedy ass ****s that they are! :lol

People will NOW truly notice a difference with HDR at home that wasn't noticeable when they did the jump to just 4K with no HDR.

Bottom line:

I would absolutely take a 1080p video with proper 10 bit HDR/WCG applied over a 4K video with no HDR/WCG.

Better Pixels > More Pixels.

But that's what so great about it, we won't have to settle for 1080p HDR because we're getting 4K HDR!

Bring on the Quantum Dot LED and OLED HDR displays boys, we're going deep!

This is what blew you away khev, the HDR, not the 2K or 4K!

Bravo!

image.jpeg

Whew...... :lol

Last edited:
Back