Star Wars: The Old Republic MMORPG by Bioware

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Allow me to explain then. The man who said that is the lead developer on the project. His overall tone and manner in which he presents his viewpoint is more than a little pig-headed. He seems to be very much "this is mine and if you don't like it, f-you. "

Additionally, the space mechanic in swg was one of the biggest draws to the game. People loved x-wing. It was a popular game, because people like flit simulators. On my world of Warcraft server, there are close to 100 people in my guild who were waiting for them to "fix" space combat, and we're planning to drop eve online for old republic when that happened. Yes, that's not a lot of people, but when you consider it's a small sample...

Short version; he's being bull headed about it, and it's going to hurt them long term.

That doesn't sound like the case from his statement.

I never tried the space stuff in SWG so I don't know what it's like, but if it was going out to mine stuff then that does indeed sound boring.

But I would say the space combat in SWTOR doesn't follow his statement really anyways. Since it's on-rails and has no multiplayer component, it's nothing more than a minigame.

I think the issue with the game is that while it does excellent quests, the game has nothing else besides them and the entire game is geared toward that. Everything you do is about the quests whereas in SWG and other MMO's you were able to have a sort of 'real world' role in the game. You can't have that if everyone is geared toward combat.

Like how they have the Cantina's and they made them to be like a meeting place, but no one ever goes to them unless their quest requires them to. But in SWG you could go into a Cantina and there'd be tons of people hanging out, and entertainers getting XP.

I'm confused as to why they decided to make this an MMO when it should have just been (and pretty much already is) a single player game.

I mean, that comment is just..so ignorant and narrow-minded. The complete opposite attitude one should have when creating an MMORPG.

And ESPECIALLY a Star Wars MMORPG ffs...

And I'm not liking DC Universe at all. :lol

That comment is arrogant, but i think it was an early comment. And i think they said they had plans for space combat. They need to make it like SWG. Actually they need to make this game like SWG except in the old republic. AND IT WOULD TAKE THE ____ OFF! Keep the awesome bioware story telling, but add in some of the things that worked well in SWG and had people subbing for YEARS! I mean i want to play an MMO and feel like i'm LIVING in the SW universe. I at least felt that in galaxies despite it's problems. I don't feel that here AT ALL. (I'm still having fun don't get me wrong. But i'm not at 50 yet. and by the sound of it i should take my time) I don't PVP, i want to explore, LIVE, trade, hunting missions, commune. Not just go for LEET gear!

You really should try LOTRO^ (lar'ja) (even when just leveling up god damn place is beautiful)

Last edited:
That comment is arrogant, but i think it was an early comment. And i think they said they had plans for space combat. They need to make it like SWG. Actually they need to make this game like SWG except in the old republic. AND IT WOULD TAKE THE ____ OFF! Keep the awesome bioware story telling, but add in some of the things that worked well in SWG and had people subbing for YEARS! I mean i want to play an MMO and feel like i'm LIVING in the SW universe. I at least felt that in galaxies despite it's problems. I don't feel that here AT ALL. (I'm still having fun don't get me wrong. But i'm not at 50 yet. and by the sound of it i should take my time) I don't PVP, i want to explore, LIVE, trade, hunting missions, commune. Not just go for LEET gear!

I fully agree with this. I'm still trucking with this game and enjoying it but I do wish it had more to offer. Who are they to judge what Han and Chewie would do in their ship? Also, I'm not Han and Chewie so they need to get the idea out of their head that I want to do what established characters would or would not want to do.

If they want to have a successful game, they need to start looking at what makes other MMO's popular. They need to look at what kept people playing Star Wars Galaxies until it closed. Stop this nonsense of telling us what they want us to do and let us do what we want to do. They can give us freedom to live in the galaxy while keeping the game mainly story driven, it'll just take some tweaking.

I have hope for the future. It's star wars and SW = $. So they will make the right decisions i think. (i hope)

I have hope for the future. It's star wars and SW = $. So they will make the right decisions i think. (i hope)

you don't know ea very well do you?

EA = MOST amount of money for LEAST amount of effort. If you want to see how this will likely go, go do some digging into how they handled warhammer online.

Well, this is the most expensive MMO ever with like 5 years of work, not lack of effort.

Just lack of thought, they needed to think beyond WoW with cinematic quests.

oh I''m not talking about pre-release development. they poured their hearts and souls into it.

BUT NOW, bioware must answer to their new financial masters at EA.
they are the ones of whom i was speaking.

As for thinking beyond WoW, i think that's what they are doing. they're trying too hard to reinvent the wheel, but at the same time, not trying hard enough.

At the end of the day, what they have made is probably the most amazing single player game I've ever seen, that has a multiplayer feature tacked on to it.
And that's what's partly wrong with it.

Trust me, if the game is not starting to turn around significantly by the next quarter as far as subscription numbers go, heads will start rolling.

Amusingly, Total development and launce cost of TOR was $200 Mil

WoW was $100 mil.

I'd like to know how much of that 200 Million went into the voiceovers for EVERY conversation.

What i want to know is how SOE built such a great and innovative MMO 9 YEARS AGO. (Before they ruined it when they tried to be like WOW) Bioware is making this WOW in space and not trying enough new things. Immersion was given a backseat to storytelling.(no day or night cycles, exploration for datacrons is not EXPLORATION) They are doing some things right, but they need to take more chances. People want new ____. You got the SW brand use it!

Like people have said it's a single player(damn good one) game with an online component.

That space combat comment reeks of damage control.

I dunno, maybe i like sandbox more than themepark i dunno.

Like i said i'm still having fun but im not 50 yet.

To me Bioware is trying to do what they think is cool. I mean c'mon black core sabers?????

I just don't feel like i'm living in the old republic, like i felt like i did and was living in ESB ROTJ times in SWG.

Sorry to bring up SWG, but man they did some excellent shyyt. (bad as well)

Last edited:
My biggest complaint with this game is the fact that all the classes essentially feel the same. Space combat is practically identical for all classes. They also reuse dungeon and spaceport layouts. Inquisitor feels like Consular, Agent feels like Smuggler... Not enough variation.

Bioware keeps wanting us to be like classic characters rather than our own characters and it's kinda sucky.

Biggest thing for me, as I've said before, is lack of a realistic, sandbox environment.

I just started playing Skyrim a few days ago, and DAMN..Bioware needs to take a look at the environment in that game.

This is definitely a WoW clone in many ways, but the game is WORSE than WoW. It took me three years to get bored with WoW...

I'm sure that won't take long. My entire guild of 48 members left.

I've been coming on once or twice a day to see if any of them come on for about a week and a half...nothing.

Server is completely dead.

Re-rolled on fatman about a week ago, it's like night and day compared to my old server. I mainly pvp and I like that the queue times are short.

I'm now completely over the game. I'm in the middle of FF XIII, rushing through Modern Warfare 3, getting Diablo 3 tonight so it's screwed time for MMO.

The next MMO I play will be either LotRO or Guild Wars if I like it when I can try it.

Back