Star Wars: The Last Jedi (Dec 15th, 2017)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Star Wars: The Last Jedi SPOILER DISCUSSION THREAD

So true. Sadly it seem like some PC/SJW/inclusivity has taken over and makes a lot of things feel forced.

This ideology permeates much of modern Hollywood, so it's not really surprising. It's a big reason why outside of SW, the DCEU and some MCU, I steer clear of Hollywood these days. Unfortunately, while the sentiment is admirable, it usually ends up being a zero sum. In order for someone to "win" with regards to what they perceive inclusivity to be, someone else has to lose. A zero sum.

I didn't know anyone was losing by not being constantly represented.

This ideology permeates much of modern Hollywood, so it's not really surprising. It's a big reason why outside of SW, the DCEU and some MCU, I steer clear of Hollywood these days. Unfortunately, while the sentiment is admirable, it usually ends up being a zero sum. In order for someone to "win" with regards to what they perceive inclusivity to be, someone else has to lose. A zero sum.

Man i hear ya, i got no problem with casting an Asian actor, just make her believable. She was horrible, didn't look like she belonged there. Out of ALL the Asian actors in the world they picked the one that looks like a girl you see overseeing people at the self checkout at Target.

At some point to be able to compare things you have to introduce data. If you look at reviews lists and total gross dollars of GOAT movies where people paying money (adjusted for inflation) is intersecting with popular ratings that will correlate the original OT IS the final word for all things star wars. En mass especially if you are from this generation of 1977 and a true fan of the franchise, for many people it can be taken as a art form for visual film as the worst thing they have seen comparing it to the original trilogy which according to data is one of the top if not the most popular and highest grossing trilogy franchises.

The critics are going to love anything Disney puts out because they and Warner Bros own practically everything for distribution now. If a critic trashes their product they get blackballed. So of course to save your means to eat and survive and have access to releases, a favorable review will unfortunately be drawn regardless. I do not give any credence to critic reviews because there is always agenda or some influence for ALMOST all reviewers. Its their job, watching movies for most of us is a hobby and there is no ramifications if I say The Last Jedi sucks donkey ****. At the end of the day, I only care about one person's thumb's up or thumb's down.

When I say it is the worst movie ever, I mean it. I am going beyond the content of the movie as well, it is the social ramifications and sensitivity taken into the movie by Disney and the Lucasfilm team that delivered such a big fat turd from what I saw with my own eyes last night. I could see it 100 times and the opinion will not change. Its poorly written, poorly executed in its style of inclusion for all creed, color and sizes. I am for diversity, I am in a mix race marriage but that poor writing and execution of the inclusion "just because we can" cannot be over looked.

Most of all, in my opinion, this movie was done the way it is to make the 1977 generation to go the **** home. As they sincerely meant in the movie, "let the past die" dialog was malicious with intent for Disney's ultra liberal agenda and it was front and center stage in this flick. Its too hard to please the lightning in a bottle crowd and they do not want to have the high expectations to deliver on another Star Wars or Empire Strikes Back movie. So the profitable decision long term is to shove off the aging population and introduce younger, newer ethnic characters and story to the franchise.

Disney spent way to much money on the license, theme parks merch and 10 more movies in the next xxx years for this to not set up to succeed.

Sadly my best days as a fan are gone but I will rest easy knowing I can pop in a blu-ray or de-specialized edition and get my fill any time I want to have my Star Wars fix.

Hilarious.

I didn't know anyone was losing by not being constantly represented.

If you pass on someone who's more than qualified for a position simply so you can wait for someone else that more fits your mold or perception of being more "inclusive", the person you passed on loses.

I loved this movie.

I guess I don't have to worry about the figures selling out though.

If you pass on someone who's more than qualified for a position simply so you can wait for someone else that more fits your mold or perception of being more "inclusive", the person you passed on loses.

I agree completely. In this case I don't think Rose good character regardless of who she was played by. This feels more like creating a non-needed position from scratch and tacking her on just to check a box.

So if Luke killed him as long as he was awake, it would have been fine?

It seemed like your initial premise was it was out of character for Luke to kill his nephew at all, another family member, being that he tried to find the good in his father rather than kill him, when even his mentor (Obi-Wan) said there's no good left in him. Then when it was pointed out that he was on the verge of killing him, it moved to basically, well at least they were fighting and he wasn't asleep.

While I hold to the opinion that the carthasis Luke gained in ultimately not taking the opportunity to kill his defenceless father after disarming him and throwing away his own weapon goes against what we see in TLJ making your point that he was on the verge of killing Vader moot anyway, I do think there is quite a big difference if you’re looking at confronting someone while they are conscious instead of assisanating them when they are defenceless in their sleep. That would have been more digestible for me at least, if they must take the character in this direction.

Luke, a sneaky murderous worm assassin? Nope.

This thread is officially a dumpster fire.

So hear we go. I’ve been reading all of your thoughts on the movie since I got back from seeing it. Here are mine:

The moment Luke tossed the saber Rey brought to him through all of the struggles and drama of TFA and through all of the history of that hilt over his shoulder, I should have stood up and walked straight out of the theater.

Contemplate to irony of waiting 34 years to see Luke back in action, and the first thing he does is try to murder a Youngling. I’m done...

I cannot believe the hate this movie is getting.

Ryz9iJi.gif

I agree completely. In this case I don't think Rose good character regardless of who she was played by. This feels more like creating a non-needed position from scratch and tacking her on just to check a box.

Exactly it!

So hear we go. I’ve been reading all of your thoughts on the movie since I got back from seeing it. Here are mine:

The moment Luke tossed the saber Rey brought to him through all of the struggles and drama of TFA and through all of the history of that hilt over his shoulder, I should have stood up and walked straight out of the theater.

Contemplate to irony of waiting 34 years to see Luke back in action, and the first thing he does is try to murder a Youngling. I’m done...

I can't argue with this.

I would agree on that as well. I haven't seen the film yet, but you should indeed like or dislike a character simply based on the role that character plays in the film and what kind of impression they leave on you, not based on any outside attributes about the actor or actress.

My comment was merely echoing Autumn Thunder's in the sense that a SJW/inclusivity mentality has taken over much of modern Hollywood, and added that often this mentality results in a zero sum and has the opposite effect of what they're attempting to do, in the way I described.

TfmU5gw.png

THERE IS A scene in Star Wars: The Last Jedi—I won’t say too much, but you'll see it yourself—where a young Asian woman does a brave, selfless thing to help the Resistance. It’s a very sweet, very Star Wars Hero Moment, but it's also an important one. Los Angeles Times film writer Jen Yamato called out its significance for fans of color on Twitter, noting “films like these leave their mark on entire generations—representation matters.” She woke up the next morning to a stream of mentions telling her to “stop making everything about race.” Her reply? “I hope you all enjoy the new Star Wars.” The implication was obvious: They won't. The Last Jedi isn’t here to appease the old guard.

And that goes for both categories of reactionaries—the Star Wars fan upset that the franchise’s heroes now include :):clutches pearls::) women and people of color, and the misogynist, racist, classist, dark side of the populace that’s always been present, wielding power in one form or another. In themes and plot, The Last Jedi asserts again and again that monolithic dominance isn't good for anyone. The movie isn't here to Make the Galaxy Great Again. It's to tell the stories of the people who want to actually fix it.

there’s Kylo Ren (Adam Driver), the offspring of Han Solo and Leia Organa, who got neither his father’s charm nor his mother’s compassion. If it weren't for his willingness to go outside, he'd be every entitled troll on the internet—and the stench of his toxic masculinity only intensifies in The Last Jedi, with his surrogate dad Supreme Leader Snoke calling him "just a child in a mask" while harassing him for being bested by a girl (aka Rey).

This isn't the first time that this phenomenon has occurred, and it won't be the last. The so-called alt-right took on Rogue One for its female hero and diverse cast. There was, prior to its release, blowback against The Force Awakens for its “black stormtrooper”—the character who turned out to be Finn. (Boyega’s response to the backlash at the time? “Get used to it”—a sentiment that seems all the more prescient now.) Every Star Wars movie from here on out will probably be considered in the context of the period and political climate surrounding its release.

There may always be people who don’t want more broad representation in cinema, who would rather things stayed the same, or even reverted. This isn’t going to happen with Star Wars, so perhaps it’s time that those people take a piece of advice from Kylo himself—and let the past die.

https://www.wired.com/story/star-wars-last-jedi-inclusion/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back