Star Wars: The Force Awakens (12/18/15)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
just got back from a screening. loved the film. it has a fair share of flaws and things it could've done without but by and large jj abrams (with lots of help from lawrence kasdan) has pulled off the herculean feat of making star wars matter once again to both longtime fans and casual moviegoers alike.

the filmmakers actually make you CARE about the characters, something the prequels failed to do. there are some absolutely beautiful moments in this film that have nothing to do with lightsabers or shootouts or spaceships. they are just scenes between two characters, talking. this may not sound terribly interesting at face value but trust me, it's powerful stuff. there is weight in the interactions, and that comes not just from our long history with well-loved characters, but also from the meaning that abrams and kasdan imbue them with, plus the strength of the performances.

i dare say the acting here is the best i've seen out of all the star wars films. there were moments where i was close to tears, and i'm not one for crying at the movies. and let me just qualify this by saying it has nothing to do with rose-tinted fanboy nostalgia. it's purely and simply to do with good filmmaking.

kylo ren is a great villain, far more complex than anyone expected, and so fascinating because of this. rey and fin are also great dual protagonists, and (without going into spoilers) i'll say that i cannot wait for how all these characters continue to be developed over the course of the trilogy.

the other thing i really appreciated was the way the force was treated. it regained its mystical, mysterious spiritual status, and i like the naturalistic way certain characters discover/tap into it.

the haters on this forum can have their hate and cynicism, but i dare anyone who is willing to go into this film with an open mind to not feel the same sense of magic that we first felt when we watched the OT. it is by no means a perfect film. it relies a little too heavily on past elements for ideas, and there are a few instances of dead space in the storytelling. but make no mistake, after so many years and so much disappointment, this is the one true return to that galaxy far, far away.

i am watching it again tonight! :lol

Okay, but...

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

the filmmakers actually make you CARE about the characters, something the prequels failed to do. there are some absolutely beautiful moments in this film that have nothing to do with lightsabers or shootouts or spaceships. they are just scenes between two characters, talking. this may not sound terribly interesting at face value but trust me, it's powerful stuff. there is weight in the interactions, and that comes not just from our long history with well-loved characters, but also from the meaning that abrams and kasdan imbue them with, plus the strength of the performances.

i dare say the acting here is the best i've seen out of all the star wars films. there were moments where i was close to tears, and i'm not one for crying at the movies. and let me just qualify this by saying it has nothing to do with rose-tinted fanboy nostalgia. it's purely and simply to do with good filmmaking.

the other thing i really appreciated was the way the force was treated. it regained its mystical, mysterious spiritual status, and i like the naturalistic way certain characters discover/tap into it.

this is the one true return to that galaxy far, far away.
I agree about making you care about the characters. It's the small things, like when:
Spoiler Spoiler:
that sells the world as real to me.

The acting was really good.

I also liked the treatment of the force. More mystical, less midi-chlorians.

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Spoiler Spoiler:

I agree about making you care about the characters. It's the small things, like when:
Spoiler Spoiler:
that sells the world as real to me.

that was a cute moment indeed. i also loved the scenes between:
Spoiler Spoiler:

that was a cute moment indeed. i also loved the scenes between:
Spoiler Spoiler:

Both Fisher and Ford did really great in their scenes together. Not much talk but conveyed alot of emotions.

Also: stormtroopers that can actually hit things!:)

The Spoilerboard has this scene:

Spoiler Spoiler:

However,

Spoiler Spoiler:

But ultimately,

Spoiler Spoiler:
Spoiler Spoiler:
Spoiler Spoiler:

[/FONT]
[/FONT]

Yu actually see nothing of this.
Its implied.
Spoiler Spoiler:

just got back from a screening. loved the film. it has a fair share of flaws and things it could've done without but by and large jj abrams (with lots of help from lawrence kasdan) has pulled off the herculean feat of making star wars matter once again to both longtime fans and casual moviegoers alike.

kylo ren is a great villain, far more complex than anyone expected, and so fascinating because of this. rey and fin are also great dual protagonists, and (without going into spoilers) i'll say that i cannot wait for how all these characters continue to be developed over the course of the trilogy.

the haters on this forum can have their hate and cynicism, but i dare anyone who is willing to go into this film with an open mind to not feel the same sense of magic that we first felt when we watched the OT. it is by no means a perfect film. it relies a little too heavily on past elements for ideas, and there are a few instances of dead space in the storytelling. but make no mistake, after so many years and so much disappointment, this is the one true return to that galaxy far, far away.

i am watching it again tonight! :lol

Man yu gotta be honest a second there.
Yes the interaction were quite cool, and sometimes moving.
Finn and Rey were really cool to watch, yu can feel the friendship, the respect, the love (at least from Finn) growing troughout the movie.
han and leia Were writing 101. It goes exactly how it should goes like it does in many movies where yu have these kind of Old flame reunion.
Yu were moved mostly because it was these two characters.
Its a very good things but dont make it sound like if yu never knew who they were you would have been THAT moved.
COME ON ;)
As for when somebody dies yur not annoyed that its a reprise of something yu already seen?
Yeah its moving because of who but wouldnt you have liked the setting and action to be original and not just a rehash oh wait an hommage to the most famous scene in ESB?
Rethorical question ;)
Cool yu enjoyed it.
I liked it more than i could admit.
Second screening Will probably be much better for me.
Im already rager to see Rey and Finn again :)

Just like JURRASIC PARK is back, now Star wars is back.
They played it safe, storywise, visually wise too.
But its a beautiful, well made come back, its like listening to a good cover of yur favorite song.
All is set to have a really original follow up, now hope they are not going to **** this up.

Last edited:
Some of the missing scenes...

Spoiler Spoiler:

are apparently addressed in the Visual Dictionary:

Spoiler Spoiler:

Man yu gotta be honest a second there.
Yes the interaction were quite cool, and sometimes moving.
han and leia Were writing 101. It goes exactly how it should goes like it does in many movies where yu have these kind of Old flame reunion.
Yu were moved mostly because it was these two characters.
Its a very good things but dont make it sound like if yu never knew who they were you would have been THAT moved.
COME ON ;)
As for when somebody dies yur not annoyed that its a reprise of something yu already seen?
Yeah its moving because of who but wouldnt you have liked the setting and action to be original and not just a rehash oh wait an hommage to the most famous scene in ESB?
Rethorical question ;)

u mad, bro?

i AM being honest, so you shouldn't presume to tell me otherwise. and it's not "just" because i know those characters. solid writing and direction were also what really sold the emotion of those scenes. it doesn't mean that because you didn't see things the way i did --- or CHOSE not to --- doesn't make your point of view more valid than mine, or anyone else's for that matter.

and please put what you wrote in spoiler tags for the sake of those who haven't seen the film. it's common courtesy.

Yeah i mad cant yu see lol.
Im a cynical hater grrrrrr my mouth is foaming when i see good stuff about this movie.
Rouaaraggagvdhhrjjfkfjfnnfjfjjfjfjfjfjfj!!!!!!!!
Whatever... Ah fanboys...

DON'T OPEN TAPATALK or whatever the app is called, the pic of the thread is a big spoiler. Maybe this is pointless or maybe it was already spoiled, maybe a bug is ignoring pics posted as spoilers, idk. I don't care cause I already know what happens, just letting you know.

Tapatalk, whatever it is, opens links automatically?

I put the link into the spoiler now. Posting spoilers from that site is problematic, as they seem to come with their own built-in spoiler tags that make a mess of things.

It's an app to browse from your phone. It takes pics that are in the thread and uses them as thumbnails for it.

Btw, spoiler is still there. I think it's ignoring the spoiler tags for pics and using the pics as thumbnails anyway, tiny bug, I reckon.

It's an app to browse from your phone. It takes pics that are in the thread and uses them as thumbnails for it.

Btw, spoiler is still there. I think it's ignoring the spoiler tags for pics and using the pics as thumbnails anyway, tiny bug, I reckon.

The link's been posted before, so I guess it must be a new bug.

I've deleted it inside the spoiler tags.

Back