Media Star Wars Battlefront 2

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The menu screens, character holographic animations and server searching SW sounds are all just phenomenal in this game.

The ingame effects are insanely cool.

DICE truly are kings of game development.

I would’ve loved to see an ability where while you reload you can call in suppressing fire from ground or air to continue your attack.

Last edited:
I gave this a shot on PC, I need to revisit it a bit more still. The presentation is great, but I still feel like the controls are a bit clunky. On M+KB it plays, but something feels off. I'm really disappointed on how hard it is to use a flight stick with Starfighter Assault. I would like to see the "look" being able to be mapped independently from the movement. With a mouse it's fine - I just like the immersion a flight stick offers. Theed is really hard if you're playing as the Republic because the droids blend in with the color palate so well. That'll probably improve with play though.

I'm gonna try the XBone version just to compare for kicks.

DiFabio was so right, running around as an annoying battle droid killing Rey never gets old lol.

Shame Disney/SW are kids properties because it would be so cool if Maul decapitated Rey or if Maul got cut in half.

If you are a die hard SW fan you will easily forgive any shortcomings with the shooting mechanics or progression system that’s how much fun this game is.

It blows away the first one especially with the flying stuff, so much more engaging this time around!

Hands down the best Battlefront game and SW FPS game ever made.

Then there are the graphics, Maul’s lightsaber reflecting off the shining Theed palace floors is drop dead gorgeous, the lighting system in place in this game is spectacular.

jr73Y.gif

Does this have 3rd person view as an option? If not I'm gonna have to cancel my preorder, either that or puke all over the place every time I play it.

DiFabio was so right, running around as an annoying battle droid killing Rey never gets old lol.

Shame Disney/SW are kids properties because it would be so cool if Maul decapitated Rey or if Maul got cut in half.

If you are a die hard SW fan you will easily forgive any shortcomings with the shooting mechanics or progression system that’s how much fun this game is.

It blows away the first one especially with the flying stuff, so much more engaging this time around!

Then there are the graphics, Maul’s lightsaber reflecting off the shining Theed palace floors is drop dead gorgeous, the lighting system in place in this game is spectacular.

Sounds like I'll be picking up a PlayStation for this game alone after the 1st of the year. Is it a good single player experience? Can you re-enact movie battles like Hoth, both DS attacks and Scarif? Can't wait till BF3 so I can mow down scores of Jedi and Clones with my Porg bounty hunter. :yess:

Does this have 3rd person view as an option? If not I'm gonna have to cancel my preorder, either that or puke all over the place every time I play it.

It does.

Sounds like I'll be picking up a PlayStation for this game alone after the 1st of the year. Is it a good single player experience? Can you re-enact movie battles like Hoth, both DS attacks and Scarif? Can't wait till BF3 so I can mow down scores of Jedi and Clones with my Porg bounty hunter. :yess:

Well i’m prematurely calling it the best just based off the Beta that’s how much fun and cool it is.

You ready for this one Khev, one of the Empire victory cut scenes involves........

I’m not going to tell you but they pay homage to RO in this. :thud:

:rock :rock

(And lol at the new sig :lol)

I can’t put this game down!

The space battle is sooo much fun it makes the one from BF1 so obsolete.

I’m hearing that the DSII assault is in this.

If that’s the case Rogue Suadron from the Gamecube era will no longer be king of SW console space fighting games.

OPINION: STAR WARS: BATTLEFRONT 2 BETA RAISES PAY-TO-WIN FEARS

Cosmetics and upgrades in the same loot box could be frustrating.

BY TOM MARKS

I’ve been playing the Star Wars: Battlefront 2 beta for the last couple of days, and while I’m enjoying shooting blasters and dogfighting in TIE Fighters, its progression and upgrade card system seriously rub me the wrong way.

Like so many other games nowadays, Battlefront 2 has loot boxes called ‘crates’ that contain digital goodies like new weapons, ability upgrades, weapon mods, and passive stat bonuses that give you an edge, along with a range of cosmetic options like hero skins and victory poses. You get crates either by earning in-game credits to buy them, or by spending real money to purchase them outright.

So this begs the obvious question: Is Star Wars: Battlefront 2 pay-to-win?

Well, it’s a plain and simple fact that spending money in this game can give you an immediate advantage in actual matches, especially in the early days before people who aren’t spending have had time to earn in-game currency. It’s true that you might luck into good items in your first earned crates, but buying more chances means your odds of striking gold go up.

So if I spend $200 on crates, open or craft all the best cards I can, then face an equally skilled opponent at the same level as me who didn’t spend money, I will likely win because I have better tools available. That’s indisputable, which means Battlefront 2 at least has pay-to-win elements. Frankly, that sucks, and would potentially be the kiss of death for any competitive shooter that wasn’t wielding the Star Wars license.

To be fair, you can’t buy your way to maximum capacity, at least: Leveling up a class through playing matches will unlock more card slots for it, so investing time can also give you a leg up. But those level ups seem to be coming much faster than the crates, at least in the beta.

[Update]: It's been pointed out to me that leveling classes is actually tied to how many cards you have for that class, not matches played, which makes this even worse. This means that buying large amounts of cards right off the bat will allow you to immediately equip more cards per class than those who don't, so you actually can buy your way to maximum capacity.

Also, the new weapons and ability replacements you unlock aren’t strictly “better” than the default stuff in pure power, often giving you varied options instead of straight power. The issue is that if I prefer to play a certain style, such as sniping with a high-powered, low rate-of-fire rifle, and I don’t have the option but my opponent has a gun that suits his style, I’m at a disadvantage because I’m out of my element. That’s a question of player skill, though, but the buff cards are objectively purchased power, granting passive skills like healing after kills or lowering ability cooldowns.

Even worse, those buffs have four levels of quality, which increase in power and rarity as they improve. There’s a TIE Fighter/X-wing card that just flat-out makes your primary fire stronger, and while its base level is only a 2% increase, the fourth is a much more significant 10%. One of Boba Fett’s cards makes him totally immune to damage while firing his rockets midair, but only at fourth level. Effects like this aren’t uncommon, with other passive stat increases prevalent throughout the cards EA has shown so far.

And you can spend a crafting resource (also found in crates) to upgrade weaker versions of those cards, the crafting cost going up as the quality does. This means that players who purchase crates not only have more chances to find the rarer (and objectively stronger) cards, they also get more resources to upgrade the weaker cards they find into the powerful versions.

What makes this even stranger to me is that this is the only major competitive game I can think of that has mixed cosmetic and stat-boosting items in the same crate to this extent. Unless there are systems behind the scenes that guarantee you’ll get a certain amount of upgrade cards, you could potentially feel cheated out of the good stuff by a slew of uninteresting cosmetics like victory poses.

The truth of the matter is that we don’t know what the balance of all these things will look like yet. The beta is very clear to say the current drop rates aren’t representative of what they will look like at launch, and there is a world where crates and high-quality cards come so easily that spending money really isn’t necessary.

But that’ll be difficult to pull off. Put frankly, this is a PvP game where power is locked behind a randomized progression system that can be sped up by spending real money. That’s not going to be balanced under almost any circumstance - and if it’s done poorly in the final game, it could be disastrous.

Last edited:
yeah it sucks, but on the other hand we get new maps, heroes, soldiers, game types, ships, etc. for free now. i think as casually as i play now (not as much free time) in fine with that. i would rather hop on and see new maps for free then be locked out of them because i didn't pay.

and there's no exclusive star cards, so the more you play, the better your chance of unlocking things will be. EA/Dice have been this way for years, it's funny how people still act surprised.

Yup same here it doesn’t bug me at all especially since DLC will be free.

Just play and have fun.

Totally agreed. There's nothing we can do with these gaming companies thinking of new ways to be slick and get additional money but this is one scenario where I think it works semi-decent for both sides. More-so them, but still...

If only NYCC wasn't this past weekend, I would've played so much more but whatever, I'm completely sold on this game.

Totally agreed. There's nothing we can do with these gaming companies thinking of new ways to be slick and get additional money but this is one scenario where I think it works semi-decent for both sides. More-so them, but still...

If only NYCC wasn't this past weekend, I would've played so much more but whatever, I'm completely sold on this game.

Yeah i’m not going to stress.

I’m not playing it for competitive reasons.

No way will I be spending hundreds of dollars on upgrades just so that I can show off an impressive KD ratio, I don’t care about those stats.

I want to lose myself playing in the SW sandbox regardless if I keep getting fragged by some person who bought all the upgrades up front, don’t care.

As long as i’m flying a SW ship, wielding a lightsaber or blaster or enjoying the single player story and set pieces i’m good to go!

Bring it!

More PTW crap.

Pass. Maybe when on sale for $15

___

Just get the actual SWBFII for $4 on Steam or GOG. Great game. Better game.

Back