Star Wars 12 inch Sideshow Exclusive Edition Sizes

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hjalmar

Freakzoid
Reaction score
Now, I'm not going to cry "foul" or "unfair."

It looks to me like the exclusive edition of Sideshow Luke sold out in under 2 hours with a one piece per person max. I imagine it's possible that some of those may come back because of folks trying to cheat the system for multiple figures, thus pushing the time to sell out a little longer if one counts the wait list.

Here's my request: On future figures, can we please make the exclusive item run bigger?

I'd like to see you at least be able to fill all requests made within the first 24 hours of pre-order for the exclusive accessory.

Thanks,

Rob

One point of clarification--

It seems like it may have taken longer to sell out, but it was within 2 hours of the time stamp of the email/newsletter notification I received, which I think may have been stamped even after the item had already sold out. I just can't tell.

I got the email stamped at 6:50 PM mountain time. I was sold out when I checked around 8:50, I believe.

A note on Exclusive Numbers

Hi Hjalmar,

Thanks for your post and your suggestion. I figured your post was as good as any to address the exclusive amount question. The Jedi Luke Skywalker 12-inch figure was the largest Sideshow Exclusive edition size we have ever run for a 12-inch figure. (* See bottom of two exceptional cases)

I did a little research of our 12-inch exclusives edition sizes so I could illustrate just how BIG of a jump it was.

We have had 64 12-inch Figure exclusives in our history, available at SideshowCollectibles.com.

The average exclusive edition size for all 64 figures is 651 (Without the two asterick pieces listed below, its 599). The largest edition up until Luke was Scarface with 800 pieces. The smallest 12-inch exclusive was P%^Tn#9 Z8&^ or The Red Baron with 300.

If you look at our average (651) and then look at what we anticpated a reasonable exclusive edition size for Jedi Luke Ex was going to be, the number is approx. double what we 'normally' offer for an exclusive.

I hope that at least gives you some idea of how big of an edition size that was for us. I can guarantee that our team will review the edition sizes again for future release. We constantly make changes and take collector input.

I have also looked at all the orders for Luke and can confirm that each individual order only has one piece. However, during processing, our team will review them all again (by hand) so someone does not cheat the system.

Thanks for your post!

(*Der Kindestod has an edition size of 2,500. This is a unique release, as we are only selling one version of this figure - there is no regular edition. Ultimate Hellboy was 2000 pieces but was Comic-Con 2005 exclusive. )

I think it's a fair number for sure.

It is an exclusive you know!

I think the exclusive edition should be TBD for 24 hours before an edition is set. That way more people can get one. I think the 1/4 scale editions aren't even close to what the 1/6 need to be because there are many people out there like me who passed on the 1/4 and are getting the 1/6. I was Lucky enough to get Luke, but I don't want to miss out on any others.

Like Gruson said, this is an exclusive after all. If you let everyone who wants one buy a figure and leave the ES TBD then SS would not sell any regular editions. So what would the point of an exclusive be?

I can definitely understand the frustration of those that waited on the newsletter and missed out, but like I said in the other thread this isn't the first time this has happened. Newsletters are notoriously late and there are way to many variables to ensure that everyone gets their NL at the exact same time. There are many more reliable options. One is this board, Dave does an excellent job at putting up the preorders banners very quickly after the items go up for sale. There are other sites that get the links up as well, like Azogscollection.com. Also, directly at SS site, I pulled up the preorder menu and the first 2 listings were for Luke both exclusive and regular edition.

My point is simply that we know way ahead of time when (at least what day) an important item is going up for sale and we know we can't rely simply on the NL. So, check the boards and check SS's site for updated info.

What is exclusive? Same as ever. It depends on the line really. With Star Wars 5000 may be considered exclusive. The difference here is Sideshow have access to Hasbro's stats, I would think. That is at least some sort of indication. No matter, I dont expect the regular edition size to change from TBD. Frankenstein is still TBD. at least last time I looked. It never was disclosed is probably more to the point.

As far as Der Kinderstod, he's one of the "abit for the states, a bit for the rest' type exclusives. That sort is my favourite cause it gives me access to them. The SDCC Ultimate Hellboy has me disillusioned though. As a SDCC exclusive it should have been available at the Con or direct, but was distributed overseas as well. If I had known that, I could have saved myself around $40, by buying it from the distributor here. Maybe there was an announcement in the Newsletter that I missed. I would have liked to know. I guess they had heaps left over and this became an after thought.

To weird, I received my original notice about the Luke exclusive yesterday
during the fantacular and just now I received a second notice of the offer
in the same newletter. I wonder if this is a glitch.

Buttmunch said:
I think the exclusive edition should be TBD for 24 hours before an edition is set. That way more people can get one. I think the 1/4 scale editions aren't even close to what the 1/6 need to be because there are many people out there like me who passed on the 1/4 and are getting the 1/6.

Well said. The demand of 1/6 will be 10 X's greater than the PEs.

Star Wars is by far the most popular liscense SS has. Knowing that fact plus knowing that there will be a greater demand for these pieces SS should increase the exclusives accordingly. It only makes sense.

People are acting like this figure is sold out. You know I expect an exclusive to be difficult to get, I expect a low ES. Sideshow is making plenty of this figure for everybody to have, but the exclusive is just that EXCLUSIVE.

wookilar8 said:
People are acting like this figure is sold out. You know I expect an exclusive to be difficult to get, I expect a low ES. Sideshow is making plenty of this figure for everybody to have, but the exclusive is just that EXCLUSIVE.

Yup, what makes it a exclusive if everyone has one?

Since I started this mess, I should clarify a little.

I'm not trying to suggest an unlimited amount of exclusives. My point is that with most items, folks have ample time to purchase the item as long as they are paying some sort of attention to what Sideshow is doing. In other words, I feel availability should be high enough that the average person who can't access the internet from work will still have a shot at an exclusive item once his or her shift ends. I think folks on the other side of the globe shouldn't have to worry about sleeping through the window of availability of an exclusive. Star Wars is much more popular than other SS lines, therefore I'd like to see a much larger number of exclusive editions available. That number should still be roughly in proportion to the exclusive/non-exclusive ratio that other items have. If the exclusive supply were TBD for the 1st 24 hours of any given pre-order period, would it REALLY make the exclusive less desireable?

Similary, call me crazy, but I think Sideshow loyalists should have some sort of advantage in getting exclusives. The newsletter mailing is good in theory, but the execution didn't quite work. Maybe a Sideshow completist should be allowed to "subscribe" to a line-- in other words, Sideshow would automatically pre-order ever 12 inch exclusive for a subscriber when it is announced.

I'll let Sideshow worry about the details; however, this item blew out faster than any other exclusive in a Sideshow line that I collect (I may not have knowledge of others), and I thought the company might consider slightly broader availability. The only faster selling items I can think of are the Comic Con thingies, and those aren't really the kind of items I have in mind.

So, in summary, I wasn't asking Sideshow to make exclusives as common as regular editions-- I just would like the SW exclusives to be reasonable to obtain.

But, hey, if other folks prefer exclusives to only have a 2 hour shelf life, then I'll happily bow to the majority.

***EDIT*** Just saw Chris's post. Don't know how I missed it the first time around. I had a gut feeling that the Luke edition size was significantly more than any other, and he's proven it. I have a similar gut feeling that the regular edition for Luke will be a lot higher than most other figures, but I don't have any numbers to back that up. Still, I don't fault Sideshow for a fast sellout-- they didn't know what the first figure would do until it did it. I would just like there to be enough exclusives to last at least a full day the next time around. Not a month, not a quarter, not a year, but a day.

And on that note, thanks for listening and replying, Chris. I hope my posts have been low on the "whining" factor, and I hope you've found them reasonably well-mannered and constructive. If not, you have my apologies. :)

Last edited:
I also think the exclusive was the right size also, plus it wasnt a exclusive were you had to have it.

Back