Star Wars 1:6 scale builds.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow! Izzy, that was some Getting Started. Thank you man!

Let's see:

0) Well that's some impressive, expensive FDM printer right there... What made you decide to go for the Raise3D? There are so many FDM printers out there, it is difficult to be sure you are not missing any important one....

1) How smooth are prints using your Raise3D? 10 microns z-res does sound sweet indeed!
I don't think FDM is never going to be anywhere near as smooth as SLA is, but for many instances, its roughness might do the job (normally not for Star Wars modelling, though). So, what are your usual applications for pieces printed with that not-so-perfect finish, besides cheaper prototyping?

2) "$25 to $80"... per what? Per liter/gallon of resin? How much can be printed with that? How cheaper is FDM filament in comparison?

3) The FEP film deteriorates with each print? Then, is it another supply material, like filament or resin, that needs constant renewal?

4) Considering the nature of the printing process (be it SLA or FDM), the existence of moving parts would make necessary for some sort of calibration to be part of routine maintenance. Maybe even tightening the nuts and screws from time to time(!). This would be only necessary along the Z axes for SLA (which I guess gets covered by that "bed levelling" you mentioned, right?), but in all 3 dimensions for FDM. That could be some chore... does your Raise3D need a lot of care in that respect? How often does the bed on your Photon need levelling?

5) Does "cleaning out the resin vat" include filtering any unused resin?

6) What does it actually mean, that a certain resin causes a print to fail? Why would it cause the failure? Does the preprocessing software not guarantee success with whatever resin you use? Are resins mechanically so different?

7) You are scaring me now: are the printed units so toxic before curing them? How do you go about waste disposal, if those materials are so toxic?? I feel that we collectors are destroying the planet with so much plastic consumption...

Thanks again for your insight buddy!
m.

Let me try answer these one by one.

0) Well that's some impressive, expensive FDM printer right there... What made you decide to go for the Raise3D? There are so many FDM printers out there, it is difficult to be sure you are not missing any important one....

0) I went with the Raise3D because of the reliability factor and I knew a few of my friends had it. The TAZ was also nice but for the price the Raise offered features at the time that most printers didn't have such as if you had a power outage the printer would remember where it left off and would continue at that spot.

1) How smooth are prints using your Raise3D? It was smooth enough for what I am doing. Not quite as smooth as an SLA printer though. 10 microns z-res does sound sweet indeed!

I don't think FDM is never going to be anywhere near as smooth as SLA is, but for many instances, its roughness might do the job (normally not for Star Wars modelling, though). So, what are your usual applications for pieces printed with that not-so-perfect finish, besides cheaper prototyping? I have used it for Droid Parts, Ships and other models. I used primer filler to help get rid of the lines in the print. Two to three coats with sanding inbetween.

2) "$25 to $80"... per what? $60 per liter on average. Per liter/gallon of resin? How much can be printed with that? Honestly I haven't kept track of how many items I can print with. I mostly use it for small detail items that I cant quite get with the FDM printers. How cheaper is FDM filament in comparison? FDM is way cheaper, that is for staright PLA. But you will find the more exotic Filaments can get very pricey as well. ( Carbon fiber, Brass, wood, etc.. also name brand tend to be pricier)

3) The FEP film deteriorates with each print? The FEP film slowly gets fogged up or you may accidentally punture the film due to a bad adhesion to the platform.
Then, is it another supply material, like filament or resin, that needs constant renewal? You can buy a pack of 5 for $30. I have to replace the film once so far and I have had it for about 6 months.

4) Considering the nature of the printing process (be it SLA or FDM), the existence of moving parts would make necessary for some sort of calibration to be part of routine maintenance. Maybe even tightening the nuts and screws from time to time(!). This would be only necessary along the Z axes for SLA (which I guess gets covered by that "bed levelling" you mentioned, right?), but in all 3 dimensions for FDM. That could be some chore... does your Raise3D need a lot of care in that respect? How often does the bed on your Photon need levelling? I have had my Raise3d for Two years. I had to adjust it once but that was due to replacing the buildtak. Thats not to say other people didnt have issues. I guess I was one of the fortunate ones.

5) Does "cleaning out the resin vat" include filtering any unused resin? Yes, it does. the filters are not that expensive. I bought a 100 pack and still have a ton left.

6) What does it actually mean, that a certain resin causes a print to fail? This was user error. My settings were not set correctly. different resins have different settings. Its not one size fits all. My mistake. Why would it cause the failure? Does the preprocessing software not guarantee success with whatever resin you use? The software only gives its best go. I always check for hanging spots that it forgets to add a support. Are resins mechanically so different? Chemically different. (curing time, etc..)

7) You are scaring me now: are the printed units so toxic before curing them? it is like any resin. It is toxic to handle. Always wear gloves, mask and eye protection and in a well ventilated area. How do you go about waste disposal, if those materials are so toxic?? I pour it into a bottle and let it cure. Once it's cured for the most part is safe to handle. I feel that we collectors are destroying the planet with so much plastic consumption... FDM PLA would be your best bet than bio degradable.

Hope this helps out. And if anyone else has any information please let us know. Thanks

Izzy

Great video! Awesome dedication to this project IM. It just keeps getting better and better each time I check it out.

vJgLCLD.jpg

9SRKgO4.jpg

474N9NN.jpg

TBKd7vA.jpg

8msSPDj.jpg

glP1V2N.jpg

mulWe44.jpg

ZdklS41.jpg

Back