Stallone's The Expendables

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Right on man. I'm happy you liked it. I really wanted to dig this film, but alas that was not to be. At any rate, :duff to all who liked it. No hard feelings meant.

I grew up on the 80's action films. This wanted to be one of them, but it just wasn't. If we're talking throwback action, I actually thought Predators was closer to the mark. The Expendables just felt rushed, sloppy, and by the numbers. The action was unoriginal, the close, choppy editing gave me a headache, the dialogue was awful, and 90% of the performances were stale.

Spoiler Spoiler:
moment at the end was a total Hollywood copout. That made me angry.

I love my mindless action, but aside from the car chase with Jet Lee in the bed of the truck, the action was poorly done. I can even forgive the fact that Stallone's truck sounded like the damn Tumbler from TDK.

Rourke's moment about saving his soul was nice though. Only time I connected with a character at all in this mess, and it was over all too soon.

Yeh, you'd have to be an absolute twit not to expect all this before going into the movie. It was cli'ched, the acting was pretty ordinary and the action was so over the top and predictable...just like an 80's action movie! That's why it rocked so effen hard! :rock2

Yeh, you'd have to be an absolute twit not to expect all this before going into the movie. It was cli'ched, the acting was pretty ordinary and the action was so over the top and predictable...just like an 80's action movie! That's why it rocked so effen hard! :rock2

Right. I guess we all can't be as intelligent as yourself.

Saw it. Liked it a lot. Great, fun action flick. Just the way it was meant to be. My only gripe with the movie were the action sequences. They were hard to follow at time and were a bit too quick. They also depowered Jet Li.:lol

I undersand wanting to pay homage to 80s action flicks, but I think it tried too hard to be all those things. It came off as just average to me.

I liked the movie for what it was. A mindless trip into the 80s. There's a lot of complaints about the acting....are any of the stars known for Oscar worthy performances??

I grew up on the 80's action films. This wanted to be one of them, but it just wasn't. If we're talking throwback action, I actually thought Predators was closer to the mark. The Expendables just felt rushed, sloppy, and by the numbers. The action was unoriginal, the close, choppy editing gave me a headache, the dialogue was awful, and 90% of the performances were stale.

Spoiler Spoiler:
moment at the end was a total Hollywood copout. That made me angry.

I love my mindless action, but aside from the car chase with Jet Lee in the bed of the truck, the action was poorly done. I can even forgive the fact that Stallone's truck sounded like the damn Tumbler from TDK.

Rourke's moment about saving his soul was nice though. Only time I connected with a character at all in this mess, and it was over all too soon.
:clap:clap darn tootin.

I liked the movie for what it was. A mindless trip into the 80s. There's a lot of complaints about the acting....are any of the stars known for Oscar worthy performances??

Mickey Rourke was nominated for "The Wrestler"....just sayin...

Look guys, I really don't mean to bash the film. There are some stand up folks with great opinions and respectable views here who clearly enjoyed it, and that's great.
I just personally felt it failed, even as a simple action film. Nearly every other film I've seen this year has had better action sequences, from Kick-Ass to Inception to The A-Team.

All I'm saying, is a film that relies entirely on it's action and is devoid of all other redeeming cinematic elements such as plot, character development, emotional core, charter arks, and so forth, better have really damn impressive action. And honestly, for my money, it just didn't.

Saw this over the weekend and I just found it to be a so-so film. I wasn't expecting great acting, so although almost everyone was pretty bad it didn't really annoy me. I do wish the story/plot had been better. Even action films deserve engaging storylines...this one however, was so disjointed and rushed. CGI blood in this film was oh so cheesy. And if a second film does get made I sure hope Stallone is not behind the camera (some of the worst directing I've seen...even for an action flick).

In the end, this film at least set-up for a potential better movie in the future. I just hope they utilize ALL the actors (not just Stallone and Statham) throughout the film, add in some more action stars of yesteryear, camp it up some more, and for the love of Pete...do some interesting action sequences in conjunction with at least a story that flows better.

I undersand wanting to pay homage to 80s action flicks, but I think it tried too hard to be all those things. It came off as just average to me.

I agree. They tried way too hard and it just came up short.

Saw this over the weekend and I just found it to be a so-so film. I wasn't expecting great acting, so although almost everyone was pretty bad it didn't really annoy me. I do wish the story/plot had been better. Even action films deserve engaging storylines...this one however, was so disjointed and rushed. CGI blood in this film was oh so cheesy. And if a second film does get made I sure hope Stallone is not behind the camera (some of the worst directing I've seen...even for an action flick).

In the end, this film at least set-up for a potential better movie in the future. I just hope they utilize ALL the actors (not just Stallone and Statham) throughout the film, add in some more action stars of yesteryear, camp it up some more, and for the love of Pete...do some interesting action sequences in conjunction with at least a story that flows better.

Totally agree with ya here. Its been a bit since I saw it but I still feel the same. This movie was so-so and thats it. Just not anything close to the 80's action movies that you expect.

Just listened to a Sly interview where he said Van Damme and Seagel turned down the movie. Van Damme's reason was he wanted to do romantic films and Seagal had a problem with the producer. I'm glad to see the movie be #1 two weeks in a row, think I'll go see it this weekend just for support.

Finally got a chance to see it today. I haven't been following this thread much at all, so I've no idea what the general consensus is on the boards but...I did not like this film at all.

Well, okay, that's not entirely true. I liked certain parts, but not the sum thereof. What a huge letdown.

Movie started yesterday in Germany, and all I can say that this was the best action movie I saw at least the last ten years!:clap:clap:clap

It was great to see Stallone in such a good shape, making jokes and enjoying to do that wat he`s known for: ACTION ACTION and ACTION!!!:yess:

Everybody who want`s to be entertained with great action, fantastic
actors and cool claims should look this movie! That`s wat Sly wanted to do, a pure action movie, no more, no less!

And he did a great work:clap:clap

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="https://www.youtube.com/v/nSZeXGi3b8M?fs=1&hl=nb_NO"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="https://www.youtube.com/v/nSZeXGi3b8M?fs=1&hl=nb_NO" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Back