SSC vs. DiD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Okay, DiD's Aragorn compared to Sideshow's Aragorn, Sideshow's looks much better even if the SSC head sculpt doesn't look any more like Vigo then DID's head sculpt imho. :rolleyes:

But Take a few things into consideration:
DID's LOTR figures are not licensed! I think that means they didn't get any cooperation from Weta like SSC did.
The LOTR DID figures were made early on in the company's existence, They have improved greatly since then.

But the question here is SSC vs. DID. Compare DID's newest Napoleonic figures such as Angus and Bruce to Sideshow's Revolutionary War figures (approximately the same era) and there is no comparison, Sideshow sucks and DID RULES!
DID vs. SSC;
1) DID has real Embroidery! SSC just has pictures of the Embroidery silk screened on the jackets.
2) Did's pouches work, they have real pockets and are made of cloth and synthetic leather. Sideshow's are a plastic molded cartridge box with the cartridges sculpted in place.
3) Some of DID's accessories are made from real metal including real metal buckles, Sideshow's stuff is always plastic.
4) DID's bodies have stiffer joints that hold their pose and are better proportioned, SSC's bodies are incredibly lose (my Revolution figures are) and aren't proportioned well.
5) DID's figures come with a ton of well designed accessories, Sideshow's stuff is meager.
6) DID has nicely detailed historically accurate buttons, Sideshow's buttons are generic nondescript and aren't historically accurate.
7) DID actually made an authentic hollow Canteen out of Metal, plastic, and cardboard. Sideshow would never go that far in authenticity.
8). All of DID's costumes are finished, not so with the half gaiters on Sideshow's Redcoat, which are un hemmed and fray.
9) DID's shoes and boots are made out of faux leather and cloth, Sideshow cheapens out with plastic molded ones.
10) DID makes hats out of real material, Sideshow's hats are almost always molded plastic.
11) lastly, you get all of what DID is offering for just a little bit more (about $10 more) then what Sideshow is charging.

Sure their LOTR figures could be vastly improved upon, but the rest of DID's current stuff is top notch and far ahead of what Sideshow is current doing.
Sideshow is playing catch up. :D
Here's some examples:

wookilar8 said:
To think these are the same guys that put out that great Napoleonic series.

As you can see I praise them on their Napoleonic series but this is a direct comparison of Aragorn. I love DiD's work but not their LOTR line.

Hey screaming... does DID do costumes only or do you have to buy the whole thing? Their face sculpts are very squishy looking. I thought the Legolas and Sam wasn't too bad, but sideshow will hopefully do better. By the way, thanks for posting the detailed costuming for the Napoleanic soldier.

kierbaudy said:
Hey screaming... does DID do costumes only or do you have to buy the whole thing? Their face sculpts are very squishy looking. I thought the Legolas and Sam wasn't too bad, but sideshow will hopefully do better. By the way, thanks for posting the detailed costuming for the Napoleanic soldier.
You usually have to buy the whole thing, but you can buy the equipment parted out at some select online retailers. There are also a few pieces of Modern equipment you can buy separately, just a pare of boots and a back pack. I've found that The Battle Rhino parts out the stuff regularly and the Monkey Depot occasionally.
Right now, Battle Rhino has some parted out Napoleonic equipment available, I'm not sure if they have any costumes available at the moment. Monkey Depot only has WWII stuff available right now.
Here's some links:
https://www.thebattlerhino.com/
Look on the left side of the screen, there should be a blue triangle-ish sign, that's the link to their DID stuff.
https://www.monkeydepot.com/merchant/indexmain.htm
Here, it's on the left side of the screen under "Other Cool Stuff"

Here's DID's site with a lot of great pictures and Info:
https://www.onlinedid.com/

I should add that the pictures are of DID's upcoming French Infantry Sapper which should be coming out very soon. The other two, Angus and Bruce are currently available. Also, if you don't like their head sculpts you could always find a body with a head sculpt you like from Dragon or Sideshow parted out and just switch the bodies.

Last edited:
DonnamiraTook said:
Hey Mayor -- wonder if anyone else has one of those "I wish I had..." stories.
Might be a good thread to start.

I have not been in Forbidden Planet for years (used to go looking for Doctor Who stuff -- long before LotR).

An Original Balrog and a Cave Troll. That's much worse than my missed Newborn. That's really painful.

Great idea Donnamira !. The board is probably full of them !.

The Cave Troll and Balrog still bring tears to my eyes when i think of them !.:crying

You should go and explore the Forbidden Planet Store again Donnamira.
Don't know if you know or not but they moved from their small store in New Oxford Street a couple of years back to a fantastic big new superstore in Shaftesbury Avenue which has two floors.

Back