SSC vs. DiD

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sideshow's is undoubtedly the better (after several years and a bucket-load of previous licences so it should be too!); costuming looks excellent, accesories ditto and the sculpt shows much promise - let's hope the factory painting doesn't let it down. Though a new coat of paint does improve the DiD figures considerably too... plus there's still the remote chance that Sideshow does a Willow on us again with Aragorn... :google

Both need better bodies too; DiD's had some loose joints and minimal head movement. Sideshow tends to suffer with the latter too and I've never liked the way SSC bodies look or pose (which can be seen in the prototype Aragorn pictures)... and, as with the SW guys, I hope that SSC are making the hands from softer plastic or the wrist pegs from something more durable or all these alternate hands could lead to some nasty breakages!

Nick

MayorOfMichelDelving said:
No offence Customikey......honest.:naughty
I mean....who would of been silly enough to have bought the DiD figures anyway.:mwaha

It hard to say... there may be people who do not want to buy things of likeness, just like some people are into abstract art, right??

No offence Customikey......honest.:naughty
I mean....who would of been silly enough to have bought the DiD figures anyway.:mwaha

i bought them, and i don't regret it one bit. sure, based on photos of sideshow's prototype aragorn, it blows the DiD version away, but as a 1/6 scale fan, and as a LOTR fan who never in my wildest dreams thought sideshow would ever get the LOTR 12 inch rights, i have no regrets about buying these figures well over a year ago.

some of you folks are sounding very snobbish in this thread. if you have seen the DiD figures in person, i think you may change your mind. the clothes for legolas and gandalf are just beautiful. sure the likeness to the actors is off, and the hobbits are way too tall, but the quality of the figures is really nice. and since all we had then was toy biz to compair them to, they looked even better.

I have them too and for the time (about a year ago) they were the best 12" LotR figures out there, bar none. I'm exstatic that SSC will blow them out the water, but they are decent in their own right. No one would choose the DiD over SSC's though.

Ill probably cannibalize my set and use the pieces on other things.
Who knows their might be a piece or two that is a little better constructed
then what SST will provide and then Ill just switch the item out.
Just glad I didnt pay full price for the set:naughty

I have no doubt the Aragorn will be superior. If it weren't for the facial likeness, it would certainly be an "A" in my book.

Now back to the comparison. Bear in mind that these are both company photos. If anyone has the DID, and you ordered the Aragorn, can you compare the two when they ship? THAT will certainly be more accurate comparison. For those that ordered the Aragorn, I'm crossing my fingers that Sideshow will deliver 80-90%--or even 100%--of what is shown in the prototype photos. The facial likeness is off, but the paint application is nevertheless very good.

captain sack said:
i bought them, and i don't regret it one bit. sure, based on photos of sideshow's prototype aragorn, it blows the DiD version away, but as a 1/6 scale fan, and as a LOTR fan who never in my wildest dreams thought sideshow would ever get the LOTR 12 inch rights, i have no regrets about buying these figures well over a year ago.

some of you folks are sounding very snobbish in this thread. if you have seen the DiD figures in person, i think you may change your mind. the clothes for legolas and gandalf are just beautiful. sure the likeness to the actors is off, and the hobbits are way too tall, but the quality of the figures is really nice. and since all we had then was toy biz to compair them to, they looked even better.

Sorry captain sack. Didn't mean to sound snobbish at all and my comment about who was silly enough to buy them i think has been taken the wrong way.
It was meant to be a joke aimed at Customikey because i knew he had bought them and hated them.
I would never dream of purposely poking fun at anybody who collects ANYTHING to do do with LOTR as i'm sure nobody else on this board would as we are all here because we have this one special thing in common....our love of all thing Rings.

Right on Mayor.

I have found it always better to take a chance and buy rather than pass it by and then have to say "I wish I had bought that". (Funds permitting, of course.) I could have bought a Newborn Uruk-hai and didn't. Do I regret it?
You bet I do.

So most of us think Sideshow far outshines DiD. There wasn't any SS 12" Strider at the time and it sounds like the DiD has good accessories. If I'd known about them, I probably would have bought them too. Not now, of course.

Right on Mayor.

I have found it always better to take a chance and buy rather than pass it by and then have to say "I wish I had bought that". (Funds permitting, of course.) I could have bought a Newborn Uruk-hai and didn't. Do I regret it?
You bet I do.

Same sort of thing happened to me Donnamira when i began my collection and i was buying my first Sideshow Weta pieces.
I could of bought an original Balrog for £330 and a Cavetroll statue for £330 both from The Forbidden Planet in London but because i didn't have any statues or busts i thought that it would be better to get my collection going by buying a large number of smaller statues and busts for the same amount of money and having them on display rather than just two big statues !!.
Boy!!!!.....What a stupid mistake. If i had known then what i know now.

Sorry captain sack. Didn't mean to sound snobbish at all and my comment about who was silly enough to buy them i think has been taken the wrong way.
It was meant to be a joke aimed at Customikey because i knew he had bought them and hated them.
I would never dream of purposely poking fun at anybody who collects ANYTHING to do do with LOTR as i'm sure nobody else on this board would as we are all here because we have this one special thing in common....our love of all thing Rings.

no apology is necessary. i completely understand the DiD version looks bad compaired to sideshow's awesome prototype. but i also think if you guys held the DiD clothing in your hands, you'd be impressed with the quality. :peace

captain sack said:
no apology is necessary. i completely understand the DiD version looks bad compaired to sideshow's awesome prototype. but i also think if you guys held the DiD clothing in your hands, you'd be impressed with the quality. :peace

I will second that. It's all incredible quality clothing. Sadly, all of Aragorn's colors are dead wrong, but Gandalf and Legolas are nearly perfect. And the accessories are magnificent.

captain sack said:

THANKS CAPTAIN :peace

Customikey said:
I will second that. It's all incredible quality clothing. Gandalf and Legolas are nearly perfect. And the accessories are magnificent.

yea, if sideshow can just release heads that look like Orlando Bloom and Ian McKellen, we'l be set!:cool:

Hey Mayor -- wonder if anyone else has one of those "I wish I had..." stories.
Might be a good thread to start.

I have not been in Forbidden Planet for years (used to go looking for Doctor Who stuff -- long before LotR).

An Original Balrog and a Cave Troll. That's much worse than my missed Newborn. That's really painful.

You dare to compare these two to each other??? I ordered the SSC exclusive version last friday, and seeing this made me order the SSC regular version too!!!! Just in case the exclusive get's abducted by aliens...

Back