SSC Voltron: Defender of the Universe Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Re: SSC Voltron: Defenders of the Universe Maquette

For $1250 I would've wanted Voltron's head at least 27".

comps_zpscthykjaf.jpg

Voltron has way more detail that those other comparisons...especially Apocolypse.

Yeah. That's what I said.

Well then let's look at the details on the Sentinel and Galactus maquettes. Both very detailed and about 30" tall. They were $900 and $800 respectively. So now the price tag is raised AND the statue is smaller?

Well then let's look at the details on the Sentinel and Galactus maquettes. Both very detailed and about 30" tall. They were $900 and $800 respectively. So now the price tag is raised AND the statue is smaller?

Priced years ago

Galactus preorder in 2013. Sentinel preorder in 2014. $100 price difference.

And now Voltron preorder 2 years later for $300+ more? And smaller?

If you're going to raise the price, then keep the size as impressive as the other two.

If you're going to make it smaller, then keep the price at least the same as the previous.

Clearly the argument between those who think it's overpriced or priced right is never going to be coming to an end anytime soon.

The statue in very intricate with detail galore inside the lions shells and all over the statue. Comparing it with the height of others is not a good way to prove anything to someone looking at it from a detail point of view. The difficulty of producing different pieces is unknown to most people. Some statues that are taller are not near the detail and small pieces that get painted in high detail. In this thought process a Yugo and Mercedes should cost the same if the are the same size.

I can also say that the price reflects features we don't even know yet.

So when you see the price you have to consider there are more features than they said plus inflation plus you really don't know the process it undergoes to get completed. On top of that we also don't know the cost to get that license.

In the end the 2 camps of too much and just right I guess have a point but I personally think the price is not that bad and paying $140 a month is peanuts for this work of fraking art. Every time I see those up close pix I'm like dang how can the even make and paint that thing, it must take a long time.

Additionally I don't plan on using the light up features all the time but it is a nice touch when someone comes over a flips out when they see it.

I have to say I wanted this but I have to pass because of the price. I am not however going to say that SS shouldn't price this as such. Everyone has their opinions I get it but at the end of the day its speculation. Can I afford it yes but I just have a ceiling for collectibles. I won't condemn SS as a business for making a calculated business decision in pricing this. A decision on Sideshows part that has likely gone through more thought & calculations than anyone one this forum can contribute especially since they aren't actually working at SS.

Clearly the argument between those who think it's overpriced or priced right is never going to be coming to an end anytime soon.

The statue in very intricate with detail galore inside the lions shells and all over the statue. Comparing it with the height of others is not a good way to prove anything to someone looking at it from a detail point of view. The difficulty of producing different pieces is unknown to most people. Some statues that are taller are not near the detail and small pieces that get painted in high detail. In this thought process a Yugo and Mercedes should cost the same if the are the same size.

I can also say that the price reflects features we don't even know yet.

So when you see the price you have to consider there are more features than they said
plus inflation plus you really don't know the process it undergoes to get completed. On top of that we also don't know the cost to get that license.

In the end the 2 camps of too much and just right I guess have a point but I personally think the price is not that bad and paying $140 a month is peanuts for this work of fraking art. Every time I see those up close pix I'm like dang how can the even make and paint that thing, it must take a long time.

Additionally I don't plan on using the light up features all the time but it is a nice touch when someone comes over a flips out when they see it.

Just wondering where youre getting that bit from...

Wanting to pre-order this more and more as I watch the show. Just finished episode 5. I hope Netflix revives some other classic animated shows.

Would be nice if the red lines from the sword light up, and the eyes of all lions would light up too..maybe 2 little lights blinking on the wings...but thats just me lol

Just wondering where youre getting that bit from...

It is mostly speculation but one that is with good reason. When I ordered the Vader it was sold as only having a light up saber but SS revealed the belt, chest and base now light up. I had already assumed they would not regress from the previous Vader but they actually progressed with the light up base and the statue itself appears nicer top to bottom.

When I ordered the Kylo Ren the first thing that popped into my head was although not mentioned the base is primed to light up. The red circles that somewhat resemble a saber hilt will undoubtedly light up by the time it ships. Looking at the statue I cannot think of anything else suitable for extra features unless they decide to light the whole underside under him with a red glow. Not likely but possible. I didn't recall seeing a video for it but there is one now.

I again see the same trend with the First Order Trooper I ordered. Once again look at that base. Red parts surely will light up and possibly the larger white ones too. The figure itself has no features unless their guns have counters on them. I thought the gun has tiny lights on it though.

I don't work for SS although I wish I did in the promotions/graphics department which is why this is all speculation as I said but with a good base that I feel SS is stepping up and is trying to be on that next level.

As far as Voltron like the others the Roman Numerals with most likely light up and if you scan the statue there are a few possibilities but Voltron has no lights I've ever seen but again this isn't our mamas Voltron. It's hips have little nodules, as someone said the wing or wing tips and with how it's made I can't see all the lions lighting up but it's possible. That would be a lot to ask and it true could be another reason for extra costs. I did in previous post mention even the orange area of the sword looks suspiciously designed for lighting and being that it's one piece alone it could happen although the battery would be super tiny.

Reminds me of when I built a house. I wanted a tray ceiling and while 10 minutes on the commuter they wanted a lot for engineering.

Basing your preorder on the expectation that SS will add a light-up function (or anything really) to a statue isn't a smart move. Vader was a fluke situation in which collectors ended up getting what should have been included from the initial announcement. Sideshow hasn't made it a habit to put a piece up for preorder then add value to it after the fact. If you're happy spending $1250 on Voltron as-is then more power to you, but don't order because you hope they'll add more lights or features.

Wanting to pre-order this more and more as I watch the show. Just finished episode 5. I hope Netflix revives some other classic animated shows.
I'm with you, watching this series really has me itching to pull the trigger. I'm trying to wait until I see the displays at SDCC and upcoming Wonderfest before I decide whether or not to jump on. It does look incredible. Would love if the art print was included. Looks awesome too.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Basing your preorder on the expectation that SS will add a light-up function (or anything really) to a statue isn't a smart move. Vader was a fluke situation in which collectors ended up getting what should have been included from the initial announcement. Sideshow hasn't made it a habit to put a piece up for preorder then add value to it after the fact. If you're happy spending $1250 on Voltron as-is then more power to you, but don't order because you hope they'll add more lights or features.

?? I myself did not do that but I think Sideshow is going to add those light up features to these statues. The past designs were not suspicious like these new ones. If I'm wrong I don't care but I think I'll be right.

I do agree not to order hoping for extra features but I don't think anyone is doing that. I ordered Voltron because the statue is badarse period.

?? I myself did not do that but I think Sideshow is going to add those light up features to these statues. The past designs were not suspicious like these new ones. If I'm wrong I don't care but I think I'll be right.

I do agree not to order hoping for extra features but I don't think anyone is doing that. I ordered Voltron because the statue is badarse period.

Doesnt make sense to me that Sideshow would hide features that could be used to get more sales. If Voltron also did your laundry and cooked your meals, he'd be a steal at $1250 (extreme example). Why hide the features when youre trying to get people to pay all that money? Im sure they would rather people think him a steal than a ripoff.

I wouldnt mind you being right tho lol

:exactly:

Back