SSC QC - A quantitative look

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What Percentage of QC issues have you had with SSC

• 0-5%

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • 5-15%

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • 15-35%

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • 35-65%

Votes: 6 14.6%
  • >65%

Votes: 2 4.9%

• Total voters
Actually, rethinking the original question, most of the problems my stuff has had probably occurred due to fedex or ups, not Sideshow. Should I still blame Sideshow for damage that occurred during shipping?

I don't think you should be allowed to vote in this poll unless you have over 200 SSC items. That's the only way that it would show anything.

I have no idea how many items I have, but I'm sure it's well over 300, and I've had 2 problems. That's .0067%.
Just curious how you came up with 200 items as a baseline...I know the more items you have the more realistic the percentage will be to actual problems. Like I mentioned in another thread I have two gentle giant figures and one of them had bad QC making it 50%. I'm just curious if there was a reason for 200.

I do agree that the poll doesn't really show anything empirically but unless someone one here is using priniciples of statistics to analyze the data none of the polls here do. The biggest problem with this poll I think is two things, the different levels some people accept as not being a problem and I would count the bad paint job on Anakin as poor QC. Overall though I think it will be interesting to see how this poll turns out. I count 6 of my 39 figures has having some flaw (two slightly lazy eyes, my Thunderball Connery's tank thingy was broken in a couple places when I got it, Vader's cape is a little messed up, and the hair on Obi-Wan being too dark, and the overall bad paint job on Anakin) equaling about 15%. Taking Ani out of the equation is 12%. Anakin's is the only one that really bothers me, Obi's is just a bit behind that, the others I don't really notice or think about.

You know - even if everyone taking the pole has bought more than 20 figures, this still should be pretty accurate. 1 in 20 is 5%. Its the <20 figures in a collection folks that will be hitting 50% because 1 out of 2 were damaged.

I only have about 30 SS pieces. Out of those 30 I've only had to send back one item for an exchange. But I guess my 30 isn't enough to count. :monkey2:monkey2

It largely depends on what you collect. For those collecting 12" figs, there is precious little that can go wrong; aside from a damaged box --- of course not taking into account the paintwork.

If however you look close enough on almost any give polystone piece there are imperfections; either a factory touch-up, or paint mishaps, etc. I have yet to have any issues with the PF, but I did have some issues with the Weta line; and in some cases had multiples of pieces allowing me to keep the wheat and spread out the chaff.

Oh, and I have well over 200 Sideshow items. :monkey3 <----- see that, I included the monkey. :wave

I'd say no on this - or everyone is going to post 65% + :monkey1

i think packaging is a big qc issue, no matter who is shipping. i have received alot of stuff from bbts and all has arrived in perfect condition, because of the care they take in packaging. shouldn't all companies, no matter what or how much they sell, care that the item gets to you undamaged? that would include item and collector box. you can never use too much bubble and peanuts.

Last edited:
i think packaging is a big qc issue, no matter who is shipping. i have received alot of stuff from bbts and all has arrived in perfect condition, because of the care they take in packaging. shouldn't all companies, no matter what or how much they sell, care that the item gets to you undamaged? that would include item and collector box. you can never use too much bubble and peanuts.

They should care, but you know what? The shipping companies should really be the ones who care! It is really amazing how little respect they have for peoples packages that they are receiving money to handle. Just how much should companies like Sideshow be expected to spend on packaging, when most of the damage is avoidable with just a little more care in handling.

They should care, but you know what? The shipping companies should really be the ones who care! It is really amazing how little respect they have for peoples packages that they are receiving money to handle. Just how much should companies like Sideshow be expected to spend on packaging, when most of the damage is avoidable with just a little more care in handling.
The image of Jim Carrey delivering a package marked "GLASS - FRAGILE" suddenly popped into my head. I wonder why? ;)

But as right as you are, the ultimate blame still lies with the company that shipped the package. UPS and FedEx are known quantities, and Sideshow should pack their products accordingly.

Be that as it may, I guess that, even by Dave's empirical guidelines, I am completely eligible to vote, having purchased over 200 Sideshow products. I may not still own all of them, but I did order and receive them. And, sadly, I have had a "failure rate" of one kind or another of close to 20%. Some were things I didn't notice until it was too late to do anything, and a few I chose not to return (either I knew that I would not be able to get anything better, or that I might not get anything at all due to sell-outs, and I reasoned that less-than-perfection is sometimes better than nothing).

In all honesty, I've never had anything from SS come in busted or mis-painted or anything. Than again, I've only had 5 items ever come in from SS. Any other SS stuff I owned was pre-owned, but still in fine condition.

I have approximately 35 SSC items and I needed to send one back because of a broken hip. I've never had clothes falling apart, paint rubs or missing pieces.
For that matter I've only had one dented box.

I don't think you should be allowed to vote in this poll unless you have over 200 SSC items. That's the only way that it would show anything.

:rotfl That's pretty funny! Completed absurd, but funny nonetheless. I've only bought 150+ item's but I'm going to go out on a limb and vote anyway. I hope my voting doesn't prejudice this poll too much.
Last couple of years 25-30% :confused:
Years previous to that 5-10% :D

Approximately 5% (over 200 pieces) and I'm on the east coast. That means 7 days in a UPS/FedEx truck.

Back