SSC Helmeted Cobra Commander

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Regarding the lack of futzing and the crappy pics, I've noticed a downward trend in Sideshow's graphic design, and it's more evident in the display boxes. Not that too many people care, but look at how detailed design wise the display boxes of PFs and maquettes were a few years ago to the ones released now. Interestingly, this downward turn coincided with Q leaving his position as Sideshow's graphic design manager.

Last edited:
I just asked Sideshow point blank if Destro was teased in the Cobra Commander pic. They said no, that it was just a trick of the light or something but to expect him at SDCC nonetheless. Boo ya! Its official, you heard it here first!! :yess:

No you didn't (adds Khev to the "do not sell hard to find MOTU figures to list") :lol

whats happening to SS? they are no longer the company they were 5 years ago

Really telling how Sideshow has been steadily going down. They're definitely NOT the company they used to be, that's for sure.

Yeah,I was surprised to hear this considering that Falcon did sell well last year?...they seem to be doing things different now

We don't even know if they plan on doing their daily reveals/pre-orders before the SDCC event and During (like last year)..

If they are shrinking a bit,I wish they'd hurry and get some more Joes out before things get worse.

--

They sold their creative soul to Marvel.

They sold their creative soul to Lucasfilm.

They sold their creative soul to Disney.

WAIT . . . I could have just said they sold their creative soul to Disney to cover #1, #2, & #3.

Point blank is......they've just gotten too big to really focus on great products anymore.
--

They've just gotten too big to really focus on their customers anymore.

They're keeping things simple . . . produce product regardless of quality . . . SELL all quantity produced . . . continue to produce products and sell all quantity produced . . . don't worry about customers . . . they've proven they will buy whatever we produce . . . whatever old customers we loose . . . we'll gain new customers who don't know any better . . . the cycle will continue . . . and we'll continue to make $.

It's not like this was just an overnight thing. :lol

Point blank is......they've just gotten too egotistical to really focus on great products anymore.

Fixed. :exactly: A shame though, because it puts the good people who work there in an extremely awkward position.

As 'FACE pointed out I'm kind of surprised no one caught the snagged thread in the shoulder seam. That coupled w/ the poorly-placed dome makes me think Prod. pics were extremely rushed. Here we were hot on the heels of SDCC, and there hadn't been a new 1/6 Joe preview in almost a year.

Regarding the lack of futzing and the crappy pics, I've noticed a downward trend in Sideshow's graphic design, and it's more evident in the display boxes. Not that too many people care, but look at detailed design wise the display boxes of PFs and maquettes were a few years ago to the ones released now. Interestingly, this downward turn coincided with Q leaving his position as Sideshow's graphic designer.

Agreed. :duff Shame too.

As 'FACE pointed out I'm kind of surprised no one caught the snagged thread in the shoulder seam. That coupled w/ the poorly-placed dome makes me think Prod. pics were extremely rushed. Here we were hot on the heels of SDCC, and there hadn't been a new 1/6 Joe preview in almost a year.

I commented on the tailoring. :wink1: It's not just that, the lapel's coming apart too and the light blue shirt looks sloppy as hell.

I had only seen this:

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5725947&postcount=697

Mind you, I skim. :lol

Also whatever adhesive they used to stick the lapels down on the jacket has come undone. You can see the residue.

All in all a few minutes in photoshop could've done wonders.

Still, I'm sure the figure (read: parts) will be great, and I look forward to all the "are you going to cast that helmet?" questions. :devil

I did an OCD post a page or two after making that post. :lol

Also whatever adhesive they used to stick the lapels down on the jacket has come undone. You can see the residue.

All in all a few minutes in photoshop could've done wonders.

Still, I'm sure the figure (read: parts) will be great, and I look forward to all the "are you going to cast that helmet?" questions. :devil

:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

--

They sold their creative soul to Marvel.

They sold their creative soul to Lucasfilm.

They sold their creative soul to Disney.

WAIT . . . I could have just said they sold their creative soul to Disney to cover #1, #2, & #3.

Hate Marvel
Hate Lucasfilm
Hate Disney

LOL, i could just make that easy and say Disney LOL. John Carter and Tron Uprising are all Disney is good for and they screwed both those up as well. Im still dreading the day Disney gets Hasbro, at that stage i will have to grow up or fully sell my life to DC and Warner Brothers.

I did an OCD post a page or two after making that post. :lol

:panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic: :panic:

Honestly this is the first figure I've anticipated as much since Stormy. Although I'm still wondering the Baroness is. And just like Storm Shadow there's so much good here.

My only real nit is the Ex. pistol. Too weak for this figure. Even though the '87 movie is crap they should've gone with a snakeman head or even just a giant tan/gold snake. People would've flipped! Especially in the Joe community notstalgia owns whatever you think is cool.

Honestly this is the first figure I've anticipated as much since Stormy. Although I'm still wondering the Baroness is. And just like Storm Shadow there's so much good here.

My only real nit is the Ex. pistol. Too weak for this figure. Even though the '87 movie is crap they should've gone with a snakeman head or even just a giant tan/gold snake. People would've flipped! Especially in the Joe community notstalgia owns whatever you think is cool.

I would've gladly traded the pistol for stirrups. :(

Really telling how Sideshow has been steadily going down. They're definitely NOT the company they used to be, that's for sure.

Regarding the lack of futzing and the crappy pics, I've noticed a downward trend in Sideshow's graphic design, and it's more evident in the display boxes. Not that too many people care, but look at detailed design wise the display boxes of PFs and maquettes were a few years ago to the ones released now. Interestingly, this downward turn coincided with Q leaving his position as Sideshow's graphic designer.

FYI, not to stoke the fires any, and I'm sure I'll get heat for this, but at least 20 people have left Sideshow since I left, most at the management level with many decades of experience. I still have friends there and wish them the best, but it is most definitely not the same company that I started with.

That's unfortunate. They've only been around for what 25 years or so? But they do seem to be gravitating more toward distribution versus "In house" production. On some level that has to dampen the artistic side of the company as a whole, at least from within.

FYI, not to stoke the fires any, and I'm sure I'll get heat for this, but at least 20 people have left Sideshow since I left, most at the management level with many decades of experience. I still have friends there and wish them the best, but it is most definitely not the same company that I started with.

Wow. Seems that SSC's lost a lot. I hope they'd pick themselves up again or they might lose more people, employees and fans alike. Like most on this thread I find the latest protos lackluster (on both CC and Vader). Yes they're protos, but it's the first step of the best foot forward. I'd feel like gambling if I put my money on a figure that I'm not sure I'd be happy in-hand if I wan't with the promotional material. Some of the latest purchases I've made that I'm most satisfied with are unlicensed figures that cost half of HT and SSC prices but looked as good as if not better than their protos.

--

OH DEAR GOD . . .

The of end of "in house" designs?

What's next? Contracting out designs to other 1:6 start ups and artists/customizers to refresh the talent pool? Especially when possible 1:6 start ups, artists, & customers may be those without solid credibility artistically, creatively, and without business savvy?

God help us.

Bummer. :(

Back