1/6 SSC Gambit Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I hope so. But they really do need to deliver on Gambit. Having no ab articulation is unacceptable at this price point.

You want them to out a ugly cut in the armor so you can get a ab crunch. No. Just no. You want your figure with a ugly cut in the armor then cut it yourself. At this price point the figures shouldn't look like cheap action figures you get on the pegs in stores.

You want them to out a ugly cut in the armor so you can get a ab crunch. No. Just no. You want your figure with a ugly cut in the armor then cut it yourself. At this price point the figures shouldn't look like cheap action figures you get on the pegs in stores.

:lecture:

Every sixth scale Iron Man figure ever made uses overlapping articulated armour plates to solve this problem and I dont see any reason Gambit's armour couldn't be designed the same way.

Sent from my SM-G973W using Tapatalk

Every sixth scale Iron Man figure ever made uses overlapping articulated armour plates to solve this problem and I dont see any reason Gambit's armour couldn't be designed the same way.

1)The Iron Man armor was designed to articulate in just such a fashion, because it had to work in "reality" for the films, whereas Gambit's armor uses comic book physics that don't work in real life

2)Because Iron Man figures are specially built and can be re-used so it makes sense to to design the body in such a way, as opposed to Gambit which is built on a standard human body, and such articulating plates wouldn't be able to work with a solid plastic body underneath the plates.

1)The Iron Man armor was designed to articulate in just such a fashion, because it had to work in "reality" for the films, whereas Gambit's armor uses comic book physics that don't work in real life

2)Because Iron Man figures are specially built and can be re-used so it makes sense to to design the body in such a way, as opposed to Gambit which is built on a standard human body, and such articulating plates wouldn't be able to work with a solid plastic body underneath the plates.
I don't deny any particular point, I just think you could design a reasonable compromise that maintains the comic book look while achieving some level of articulation--and ultimately this is a subjective style choice so I don't think there's a right answer there.

I agree that this might necessitate the engineering of a new torso, and that there is associated expense (and expertise) required that make it unlikely Sideshow would do this--but it's sort of a moot point because we can already see that they haven't done this. I'm only describing what could have been done to achieve articulation while maintaining the general aesthetic; judgements beyond that aren't really part of my position.

Of course you are being ridiculous. Go back to my original statement. I never even brought up the topic of how expensive it is for Sideshow to produce. I merely said I do not agree with Sideshow's pricing strategy and you went on a tangent about China. Consumers do not care nor think about how much it costs companies to produce something. They only care about how much they have to pay themselves and what alternatives there are in the market.

Read what you just wrote and think a little. Companies can only do that when they have something else going for them such as brand loyalty, etc. and the fact that they can produce other items is not relevant to the decision making. It is about opportunity cost and profitability, not revenues. You just proved my point for me. Exactly, ThreeZero priced the Rambo figure less because they know that is how they can compete with Hot Toys, even when the Rambo figure is quite comparable to Hot Toys quality. On the other hand, you have Sideshow doing the opposite to ThreeZero. What do you mean the 1/6 market does not dictate pricing? Of course the customers dictate pricing. Hot Toys can continue raising prices because they know customers are willing to pay out of our butts to buy the products. You continue to confuse my point on pricing strategy vs. this other tangent about manufacturing costs and buyer's decisions, etc. I am not arguing about the latter points, I agree with you on them actually.

Think a little? How can you suggest that cost of production doesn't impact pricing strategy? That's the reason I brought it up. Whether customers understand it or not, it's cost of production that dictates profitability. Quite frankly, cost of production impacts pricing strategy much more than the 1/6 market dictates. Having different revenue streams means they don't have to lower prices to capture audience. Every so often Sideshow produces NO 1/6 figures for months at a time. They can afford to not make any, because they have other ways of making money, and yes, they do actually have Brand Loyalty, etc.. Which is why for Sideshow, the 1/6 market and 1/6 collector community is less important than for other companies where 1/6 is mostly what they make and do.
Sorry to everyone for continuing this debate, I'll stop. I get it if you don't like Sideshow products, I don't work for them or favour them in particular.

I don't deny any particular point, I just think you could design a reasonable compromise that maintains the comic book look while achieving some level of articulation--and ultimately this is a subjective style choice so I don't think there's a right answer there.

I agree that this might necessitate the engineering of a new torso, and that there is associated expense (and expertise) required that make it unlikely Sideshow would do this--but it's sort of a moot point because we can already see that they haven't done this. I'm only describing what could have been done to achieve articulation while maintaining the general aesthetic; judgements beyond that aren't really part of my position.

Your compromise will ruin the look of the figure. Its much better you buy the figure and butcher it if ab articulation is the important to you.

It's not armor, it's more like a cloth with gel running in it or something. It just has a fluorescent coating to it iirc, closest thing would be something like those pearlescent color changing cloths they use on some old beanie babies. The tech in the chest might not be real, but it's certainly something that'd be IRL.

They can't re-use ironman bucks, it doesn't work that way, they might repaint armor several times, but most sculpts are unique, it's not like a marvel legends where you can slip on some modifications or retool the mold. It's mostly just because Iron-Man always sells, they charge a premium either way.

It's incredibly simple to segment the armor, while mostly preserving the sculpt. I mentioned how you could do this a page or two ago, just sit the chest piece over another piece that sheathes underneath the chest. The chest piece would simply go on like a football chest piece, or like a storm trooper. And if you're going to argue for accuracy, I want to point out those two giant grey lines on the chest aren't accurate at all and are a much weirder choice than simply segmenting the armor.

The advantage to this hobby is that unlike statues that are stuck in one pose forever, you can change yours around whenever, I don't know why you'd argue for less articulation.

The thing is, how does anyone know that the torso armor is made of HARD STIFF plastic? No one does. Y'all are assuming it's hard plastic b/c it LOOKS hard plastic. It could very well be a softer vinyl type material that would allow some torso articulation. No one will know until it's released and someone does a review, simple as that. So what's really the point of even arguing over it :huh: but also, this is SFF where that's what ppl like to do so :dunno :lol

with all that said, unless you're going to have this guy in the superhero landing pose, what does it really even matter? I'm not sure I've ever even used an ab crunch in all my years of actually collecting. I see this all the time in transformer forums where the guys won't buy stuff b/c of no ab-crunch and I'm wondering "Are you guys actually playing (i.e. pew pew pow pow) with these high priced Masterpiece figures that cost $200+ these days?"

Last edited:
The thing is, how does anyone know that the torso armor is made of HARD STIFF plastic? No one does. Y'all are assuming it's hard plastic b/c it LOOKS hard plastic. It could very well be a softer vinyl type material that would allow some torso articulation. No one will know until it's released and someone does a review, simple as that. So what's really the point of even arguing over it :huh: but also, this is SFF where that's what ppl like to do so :dunno :lol
We're all being critical because we're all excited for our boy Gambit, have you SEEN his coat? Terrific stuff! That said, it's more than likely unbending hard plastic given sideshow's previous works.

with all that said, unless you're going to have this guy in the superhero landing pose, what does it really even matter? I'm not sure I've ever even used an ab crunch in all my years of actually collecting. I see this all the time in transformer forums where the guys won't buy stuff b/c of no ab-crunch and I'm wondering "Are you guys actually playing (i.e. pew pew pow pow) with these high priced Masterpiece figures that cost $200+ these days?"

I **** around with my figures all the time and have my Spider-man and other figures in dynamic poses, even though a lot of collectors are unimaginative, or simply don't have them in anything more than a standing pose, I would like the ability to have a fully posable statue. Yeah, jointing can be ugly sometimes, but generally this scale is great for hiding that sort of thing or making it look good.

We're all being critical because we're all excited for our boy Gambit, have you SEEN his coat? Terrific stuff! That said, it's more than likely unbending hard plastic given sideshow's previous works.

I **** around with my figures all the time and have my Spider-man and other figures in dynamic poses, even though a lot of collectors are unimaginative, or simply don't have them in anything more than a standing pose, I would like the ability to have a fully posable statue. Yeah, jointing can be ugly sometimes, but generally this scale is great for hiding that sort of thing or making it look good.

I have SEEN the coat. It was in my first post when this was revealed. Check page one :lecture

Have you had any of the recent SS 1/6 figures? Or even some of the older SS GI Joes? B/c just about all the ones that have high boots are made out of two pieces with the leg sleeve part being made out of a very pliable soft plastic/vinyl material to allow ankle articulation. Not to mention their Captain America figure which also has a " hard plastic" looking chest piece but it's actually softer, pliable plastic. The chest piece for this Gambit could very well be made out of that same material.

Lastly, it's not about being boring for most collectors--though I agree some folks are just unimaginative where even a static pose looks awful--it's about longevity. Anyone who has been in this hobby long enough knows that if you keep your figures in a dynamic pose for long periods of time, you're sure to cause lasting damage. Most ppl learn the hard way when the permanently damage a figure's suit before they realize maybe dynamic poses aren't the way to go if you want your $200+ dolly to last longer than a few months. Too many examples to even list. A spandex suit will stretch with a good chance of it not going back to its normal state. Pleather material will crack and peel. Just the nature of the hobby. But if you know how to pose and futz, a simple museum pose can be epic and character driven while keeping your figure safe from damage.

I have SEEN the coat. It was in my first post when this was revealed. Check page one :lecture

Have you had any of the recent SS 1/6 figures? Or even some of the older SS GI Joes? B/c just about all the ones that have high boots are made out of two pieces with the leg sleeve part being made out of a very pliable soft plastic/vinyl material to allow ankle articulation. Not to mention their Captain America figure which also has a " hard plastic" looking chest piece but it's actually softer, pliable plastic. The chest piece for this Gambit could very well be made out of that same material.
I was thinking more of the old sheet chest piece of the old boba and how restrictive it is, along with how awkward their ankles tend to be on their older figures, I don't know if they finally swapped out the feet and ankles to be more movable. If it is more pliable that'd be great, but pliable plastic tends to deform easier. I would've preferred a semi segmented armor piece over a pliable vinyl with those weird stripes, better articulation, better concealment, better looks.

Lastly, it's not about being boring for most collectors--though I agree some folks are just unimaginative where even a static pose looks awful--it's about longevity. Anyone who has been in this hobby long enough knows that if you keep your figures in a dynamic pose for long periods of time, you're sure to cause lasting damage. Most ppl learn the hard way when the permanently damage a figure's suit before they realize maybe dynamic poses aren't the way to go if you want your $200+ dolly to last longer than a few months. Too many examples to even list. A spandex suit will stretch with a good chance of it not going back to its normal state. Pleather material will crack and peel. Just the nature of the hobby. But if you know how to pose and futz, a simple museum pose can be epic and character driven while keeping your figure safe from damage.

Well, that's the thing, I tend to not like the pleather clad figures and figures without pleather tend to be just better more durable figures, it's one of the reasons I love that they made his coat cloth like half of Gambit's appearances tend to be. I'm not a huge fan of pleather gear on 1/6th as most of it tends to be more or less of a trap, I feel the best figures are ones that use none, or very minimal applications of said pleather.

It's one of the reasons I like this figure so much as well as the brown Wolverine costume, little to no pleather or spandex. So in this instance, I would say there's not much of a disadvantage to posing him around dynamically, the clothes are built for it, much like more military oriented figures.

I do wish I could find non pleather replacements of clothes for the few pleather figures I do own.

It's not armor, it's more like a cloth with gel running in it or something. It just has a fluorescent coating to it iirc, closest thing would be something like those pearlescent color changing cloths they use on some old beanie babies. The tech in the chest might not be real, but it's certainly something that'd be IRL.

They can't re-use ironman bucks, it doesn't work that way, they might repaint armor several times, but most sculpts are unique, it's not like a marvel legends where you can slip on some modifications or retool the mold. It's mostly just because Iron-Man always sells, they charge a premium either way.

It's incredibly simple to segment the armor, while mostly preserving the sculpt. I mentioned how you could do this a page or two ago, just sit the chest piece over another piece that sheathes underneath the chest. The chest piece would simply go on like a football chest piece, or like a storm trooper. And if you're going to argue for accuracy, I want to point out those two giant grey lines on the chest aren't accurate at all and are a much weirder choice than simply segmenting the armor.

The advantage to this hobby is that unlike statues that are stuck in one pose forever, you can change yours around whenever, I don't know why you'd argue for less articulation.

You want articulation over looks. Well not everyone would accept that compromise. Not at $200+.

I do agree somewhat on wanting articulation on my figs... otherwise I would collect statues. None of my figures are in a standard museum pose, but I only use the articulation when the shelf has the space, or it won't cause undo stress on the figure.
But that said, articulation/posing is all about the character. For me, Gambit is not Spidey, or Beast, Wolverine, or Nightcrawler. Like Colossus, I think it suits Gambit's character to have him standing up... sure twisting, or throwing cards, or whatever, but still standing up as opposed to being crouched over. I think that's also why so many Gambit statues have him standing up as well.
I think that segmenting the "armor" would mean extra thickness, and might throw off the proportions. For me, as long as he can twist at the waist, I'll be fine with it....

Longer hair shown in the Wolverine production gallery.

Attachments

• wolverine_marvel_gallery_5fad80b306fd2.jpg
    wolverine_marvel_gallery_5fad80b306fd2.jpg
    272.3 KB · Views: 140
Back