SSC Flint

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, thanks. I'm not new to G.I. Joe - I'm a regular over at Hisstank.com's file card thread.

Flint and Stalker are both Ranger qualified, but the black berets (in the 80's) were only for soldiers actually serving in the Ranger Regiment. Stalker's time as a LRRP would indicate that he did serve in the 75th Ranger Regiment in 'Nam, so he should have the Black Beret.

Flint, though certainly Ranger qualified, is also Special Forces qualified. Which is an MOS, and entitles him to wear a Green Beret. "Ranger" is not a Military Occupational Specialty; Stalker is still in Infantryman (11B). In short, Stalker and Flint should have switched berets - Flint should wear green, and Stalker should wear black (in the 80's. These days, Stalker would wear khaki/sand).

Given that their jump wings are opposed as well, I don't think they're adhering to sticking to strict military protocol. :lol

Given that their jump wings are opposed as well, I don't think they're adhering to sticking to strict military protocol. :lol

That's a very fair point. Obviously G.I. Joe has never been all that concerned with getting all the details right. My hope for the Sideshow line of figures - because they stated that they wanted to update these characters in a realistic way - was that some of those issues woudl be addressed. It's no big deal, really. I'll just display my Flint with a fabric Green Beret, and I'll get a fabric tan beret for Beach-Head. I don't like the plastic ones anyway, and I it's an easy enough fix.

That's a very fair point. Obviously G.I. Joe has never been all that concerned with getting all the details right. My hope for the Sideshow line of figures - because they stated that they wanted to update these characters in a realistic way - was that some of those issues woudl be addressed. It's no big deal, really. I'll just display my Flint with a fabric Green Beret, and I'll get a fabric tan beret for Beach-Head. I don't like the plastic ones anyway, and I it's an easy enough fix.

They meant realistic equipment and gear and clothing they would wear or use now, but keeping it GI JOE (with the exception of Firefly). The average Joe collector couldnt care less about the correct color of beret. The average Joe fan knows Flint has a black beret.

They meant realistic equipment and gear and clothing they would wear or use now, but keeping it GI JOE (with the exception of Firefly). The average Joe collector couldnt care less about the correct color of beret. The average Joe fan knows Flint has a black beret.

That's certainly true, however, if someone is willing to pay what Sideshow is chargeing for these figures, they're probably not an "Average Joe Fan". Like I said, it's an easy fix, but if I'm paying for realism and deluxe figures, asking for proper beret colors doesn't seem like too much to ask.

It does if the color of the beret has nothing whatsoever to do with the character. And that's what these are: figures of characters; not figures of military designations. If you want those, Hot Toys has them. So does Soldier Story. DiD. Etc.

i'm excited about Flint's tactical shotty

So am I. The sawed-Off is cool for nostalgia, but the tactical makes much more sense in terms of "real-world" plausibility. And if it's OK for Sideshow to change the shotgun, it doesn't seem like such a problem to give him the proper beret color - green.

It does if the color of the beret has nothing whatsoever to do with the character.

It has a lot to do with the character. Flint's always been a Special Forces Warrant Officer - a "Green Beret". The only reason his original figure had a black beret was because it was cheaper to paint it that color... and so that became "tradition", but that doesn't make it correct.

It has a lot to do with the character. Flint's always been a Special Forces Warrant Officer - a "Green Beret". The only reason his original figure had a black beret was because it was cheaper to paint it that color... and so that became "tradition", but that doesn't make it correct.

Yes it does.

Yes it does.

Sorry, I was interested in having a discussion. If that's your opinion, that's fine. It's not right, but if you want a classic ARAH looking Flint, I'm sure you'll enjoy this figure. I'll switch it out for a green, fabric beret and it'll look much more correct for a Special Forces operator.

Back