SSC drops ES on 2 Marvel PFs...more to come?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

filip629

Super Freak
Reaction score
Well, it looks like SSC is dropping the overall ES on their Dr Doom PFs. The EX went from 1500 to 1000 pieces and supposedly the REG dropped from a run of 3000 to 2000. Not long before this announcement, SSC dropped the ES on the EX modern Thor PF from 1000 to 750. Do peeps think they are done? I think they may even drop the ES on the EX Daredevil PF next. That piece doesn't seem to be moving very well for them either.

I'm curious as to why SSC has decided to cut the ES of these 2 pieces. In the case of Doom...it was a drastic cut. It's hard to believe they overestimated the ES so badly. With a TBD ES put up at the time of PO (so they can gauge demand) and the long length of time to set an ES (usually a few months at least), you'd think SSC wouldn't have to go back and shorten the ES on their merch. That's 2 Marvel PFs in a short amount of time that have had their edition sizes shortened. More to come? Have we finally hit the wall with the bloated edition sizes SSC seems to putting out or is this something else? Is it simply a matter of the lack of effort SSC puts into it's Marvel line finally coming back to bite them on the rear? IMO, their Marvel offerings have been nothing but hit or miss for a long time now. Not to mention, SSC finally has a legit competitor in the 1/4 game who is setting a high standard with their releases. What do you peeps think is going on?

This makes perfect sense to me. They have been cutting a lot of corners and it shows. Their business is growing, sure, but at $400 a pop, this was easy to predict. Spend a couple months on these forums and you will see the truth a lot faster. I think this is a good thing...hopefully it will keep them honest going forward...

This makes perfect sense to me. They have been cutting a lot of corners and it shows. Their business is growing, sure, but at $400 a pop, this was easy to predict. Spend a couple months on these forums and you will see the truth a lot faster. I think this is a good thing...hopefully it will keep them honest going forward...

What I find interesting is that they openly cut the ES on those pieces. They could have done the Obi Wan thing where they just made enough to cover their orders and have the option to make more if demand for the piece rises. In the case of Obi, they went back and finished the run when demand in the aftermarket spiked on the piece. The point is, no one knew that Obi's run wasn't completed and SSC was able to finish it later. They openly let us know that Thor and Doom have been cut. That means no going back to finish a run if demand increases in the aftermarket for these pieces. I personally think that XM is having a HUGE impact on SSC's Marvel line. Maybe more than we know. XM is building its business off low collectible edition sizes (along with full casts and great paint apps). Is it really a coincidence that SSC is now reducing its ES on their merch? It's starting to look like a business decision to me.

:goodpost::exactly:

Oops. My bad on mentioning the DD PF as the possible next cut. There is no EX on the DD PF. I'm not sure that isn't even worse. The first ever 1/4 scale DD on the market with an ES of only 1000 and it still isn't sold out? That's sending a clear message to SSC.

I'm guessing pre-orders have dropped off with SS, I think a lot of people are taking the wait and see approach now.... People are tired of Eating NRD's and getting statues that don't always come close to the prototypes. It's best to wait and see in hand pictures before buying. just my opinion....

Last edited:
I'm guessing pre-orders have dropped off with SS, I think a lot of people are taking the wait and see approach now.... People are tired of Eating NRD's and getting statues that don't always come close to the prototypes. It's best to wait and see in hand pictures before buying. just my opinion....

exactly....and with the astronomical ESs, nothing sells out so why buy until you see in hand what ur gonna get? if this is truly the case and studios such as XM along with customers not pulling the trigger is having an effect on SSC, then that is A GOOD THING. It will mean SSC has to start getting their **** back together which is great for all us collectors.

I understand the move completely. Why produce the pieces and sell them cheaper? Dropping the ES is doing a good thing for those customers who have ordered the piece. I'm fine with it... ES never effects my purchasing decisions.

I haven't been excited for any sideshow piece in over a year...there was another thread started about this, and the consensus seems the same. I've sold off about 9 premium format's in the last year-I'm buying stuff from other companies at this point (pre-ordered Robocop from Pop Culture Shock and may pull the trigger on the Chronicle ED 209)-I really think that the their current PF price of $400+ is not justified with the quality and the recent open ES editions.

I understand the move completely. Why produce the pieces and sell them cheaper? Dropping the ES is doing a good thing for those customers who have ordered the piece. I'm fine with it... ES never effects my purchasing decisions.

ES may not effect my purchasing decision but it effects WHEN i decide to purchase. This was never the case in the past...I POed stuff day 1 if I wanted it. Now, there's not reason to do that cuz the ESs are so large, you can always wait and see first. And with all the issues SSC pieces have been having QC wise, it's just safer to wait and not waste money on the NRD.

ES may not effect my purchasing decision but it effects WHEN i decide to purchase. This was never the case in the past...I POed stuff day 1 if I wanted it. Now, there's not reason to do that cuz the ESs are so large, you can always wait and see first. And with all the issues SSC pieces have been having QC wise, it's just safer to wait and not waste money on the NRD.

I see your point. That should be how it is though. It would probably be safer to wait and see the product before POing anyways, no matter the quality of the piece. Because there can always be mishaps. I'm new to collecting, so this is the norm for me.

I'm guessing XM have chewed up some collectors funds and collecting focus on the Marvel side of things. If collectors on here are cancelling and selling SS to get XM others are too.
A lot of their releases lately have been contentious with design choice lately too, coupled with woeful continuity across the marvel line with bases and poses and poor QC and higher price... It doesn't really need to be spelled out to them but they just don't get it lol

I think it's a combination of a lot of things including high es and the uninspired art work that does not sell these pieces like it should. Theres so much potential they can produce with these characters, but they choose the lazy way out and seems like theyre looking for a quick buck on some of these pieces. Look at Daredevil. I would love to have a pf of Daredevil. He's supposed to be an acrobat. They couldnt have had him in an acrobatic pose without compromising too much space on the base? Rather they have him in a running/striking pose. And if I had an inkling suspicion, they would reuse that sculpt and pose for another statue; The Flash anyone?

flash_zpsb5af0aff.jpg

Sideshow-Daredevil-Premium-Format-Figure-Statue-e1399428150457.jpg

I think it's a combination of a lot of things including high es and the uninspired art work that does not sell these pieces like it should. Theres so much potential they can produce with these characters, but they choose the lazy way out and seems like theyre looking for a quick buck on some of these pieces. Look at Daredevil. I would love to have a pf of Daredevil. He's supposed to be an acrobat. They couldnt have had him in an acrobatic pose without compromising too much space on the base? Rather they have him in a running/striking pose. And if I had an inkling suspicion, they would reuse that sculpt and pose for another statue; The Flash anyone?

flash_zpsb5af0aff.jpg

Sideshow-Daredevil-Premium-Format-Figure-Statue-e1399428150457.jpg

hah, that flash mockup is awesome!

Daredevil is a good example off poor final design, you can tell he was posed to have switch out hands so he was dual weilding his billy clubs. Like the Green Lantern PF was designed to have him holding the Lantern...
My mind boggles that Sideshow can release something amazing likethe Uruk Hai Berserker PF and then release something like the Vision PF with a straight face...

The fact that they dropped the ES significantly also means they aren't even selling anywhere close to the newer ES numbers. I am glad they are feeling a hit cuz their recent lack of creativity and execution is just appalling. Outside of a few examples, everything new has just been extremely mediocre with crazy pricetags, insane ESs, and questionable QC.

Back