1/6 SSC Dengar Sixth Scale Figure

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I own the figure. I love the figure. I wish the eye work was up to Hot Toys level. I’ve purchased bootleg Head sculpts with more realistic eyes.

It really is a frustrating mystery as to how a company like Sideshow in 2018 can't deliver HT-level paint apps - or DID-level paint apps for that matter. Johannes the generic 1/6 Nazi has better apps than Luke Skywalker thanks to Sideshow.

Their paint has certainly improved in the past couple of years, but wouldn't a manager at Sideshow have held up a fig like SSC Luke Hoth (very nice sculpt almost ruined by badly misjudged/mediocre paint) and said "because we plan to have pricepoints closer to $250 in the coming years, we need to get our apps to HT level"?

At this late stage, there is no excuse for it - it just shows laziness and lack of ability on Sideshow's part. Because as bmarz says, there are vendors and factories that can produce better quality apps for BOOTLEGS, so this really just comes down to poor management at Sideshow.

It would be really interesting to hear Sideshow try to explain it (especially in the context of $230-270 pricepoints,) but maybe that's why they have no presence on these boards anymore.

Great thank you!

Anytime........!

It really is a frustrating mystery as to how a company like Sideshow in 2018 can't deliver HT-level paint apps - or DID-level paint apps for that matter. Johannes the generic 1/6 Nazi has better apps than Luke Skywalker thanks to Sideshow.

Their paint has certainly improved in the past couple of years, but wouldn't a manager at Sideshow have held up a fig like SSC Luke Hoth (very nice sculpt almost ruined by badly misjudged/mediocre paint) and said "because we plan to have pricepoints closer to $250 in the coming years, we need to get our apps to HT level"?

At this late stage, there is no excuse for it - it just shows laziness and lack of ability on Sideshow's part. Because as bmarz says, there are vendors and factories that can produce better quality apps for BOOTLEGS, so this really just comes down to poor management at Sideshow.

It would be really interesting to hear Sideshow try to explain it (especially in the context of $230-270 pricepoints,) but maybe that's why they have no presence on these boards anymore.

Honestly, I am not aware of another company that can truly match what Hot toys is able to do...I see some decent bootlegs, but not on HT's level

And I think the hostility toward Sideshow from certain board members is what scared them off

Last edited:
No hostility here. I still love SS.

Honestly every bootleg figure I’ve ever bought off onesixthkit.com has had better paint apps and eye decals. Just a fact and it makes me wonder.

No hostility here. I still love SS.

Honestly every bootleg figure I’ve ever bought off onesixthkit.com has had better paint apps and eye decals. Just a fact and it makes me wonder.

Yeah, the "Space Trucker" bootleg sculpt I would argue has slightly better apps than the HT Han, same with the Treasure Hunter/Indy bootleg sculpt. They are simply stunning in-hand.

Anytime........!

Honestly, I am not aware of another company that can truly match what Hot toys is able to do...I see some decent bootlegs, but not on HT's level

And I think the hostility toward Sideshow from certain board members is what scared them off

DID, Asmus, Big Chief to name a few - many companies consistently deliver very-close-to-HT or as-good-as-HT quality apps. Sideshow is the only major 1/6 company unable to do it year after year. The generic DID soldier heads I use for my Imperial soldier/officer customs are indistinguishable in quality from HT heads such as those shown on the upcoming HT DS trooper.

Here's a DID special forces soldier (a very ambitious sculpt to pull off with the unusual moustache and sideburns) - check out the paint detail on the eyes and compare it to the cloudy orbs on the SSC Luke Red Five figure, and this is an ebay production-fig pic, not a proto:

s-l1600.jpg

15psxs8.png

Anytime........!

Yes, companies abandon contact with their customers due to hostility all the time. :dunno

Yeah, that is a huge difference.......and that luke is awful.....I think the Dengar has a better paint job, but clearly not like that first one. Ok, I stand corrected - thanks. And to be clear (directed to no one in particular), I meant general negativity toward Sideshow, not anything in this thread.

One more outdoor pic of my Dengar. Adjusted the pose. Started to weather the nozzle, but need more colors lol

DSCN0030.JPG

Stuck a little fabric between the upper chest & abdominal armor pieces.

Great pose but get that damn figure off the trash bin.:lol

I know Kenner flopped the image, but is anyone going to use the classic "swagger" Dengar pose seen on the vintage card with the rifle on the ground?

lrg-packaged-front.jpg

This pic also shows that in every pic of him, Dengar's left shoulder armor piece has slid all the way down to almost his elbow.

Yeah, that is a huge difference.......and that luke is awful.....I think the Dengar has a better paint job, but clearly not like that first one. Ok, I stand corrected - thanks. And to be clear (directed to no one in particular), I meant general negativity toward Sideshow, not anything in this thread.

One more outdoor pic of my Dengar. Adjusted the pose. Started to weather the nozzle, but need more colors lol

View attachment 392844

Stuck a little fabric between the upper chest & abdominal armor pieces.

I like the lighting-looks good.

Great pose but get that damn figure off the trash bin.:lol

I know Kenner flopped the image, but is anyone going to use the classic "swagger" Dengar pose seen on the vintage card with the rifle on the ground?

lrg-packaged-front.jpg

This pic also shows that in every pic of him, Dengar's left shoulder armor piece has slid all the way down to almost his elbow.

Wow! I never saw that card back before (or just don't remember it)! I got my Dengar in the Sear Cloud City Playset! Still have it too!

Didn't even pay attention to that...the figure looked so good! :)

Another shot from me...

DENGAR-010.jpg

Last edited:
And on the mg42 bass guitar........Dengar!!20180211_143013.jpg

And the rest of the band.......
20180211_144421.jpg

:woo looks like a motley bunch

I know Chakaman is planning on redoing the head bandage, anyone else? What would be good material to use, Bandage wrap, shoe lace?

Last edited:
And on the mg42 bass guitar........Dengar!!View attachment 392998

View attachment 392999

Great setup my friend. Your Hasbro repaints look fantastic. Very nice.

:woo looks like a motley bunch

I know Chackman is planning on redoing the head bandage, anyone else? What would be good material to use, Bandage wrap, shoe lace?

I plan on using an old T-shirt. I will cut it into small strips and apply it in layers. I did this on my custom Dengar a few years back.

My collection is currently in storage, this is the only decent picture I could find of my Dengar on my phone. I know, but you get the idea. :)

attachment.jpg

Wow, that looks really good, I love that Yak Face!

Will you be painting the bandages or RIT dying?

And on the mg42 bass guitar........Dengar!!

View attachment 392999

That's a Hasbro Zuckuss repaint?:horror

Wow. I thought it was a SSC tweak when I looked at it quickly.:clap

Great line-up though - love seeing the gang together.

Great setup my friend. Your Hasbro repaints look fantastic. Very nice.

I plan on using an old T-shirt. I will cut it into small strips and apply it in layers. I did this on my custom Dengar a few years back.

My collection is currently in storage, this is the only decent picture I could find of my Dengar on my phone. I know, but you get the idea. :)

View attachment 393014

I have a whole set of pics of your Dengar - it was one of the primary motivators for me doing my Dengar custom! I can put them up on my imgur account if you don't have access to your pics.

Great setup my friend. Your Hasbro repaints look fantastic. Very nice
Thanks chris.............still hate the character but had to have him......:lol
That's a Hasbro Zuckuss repaint?:horror

Wow. I thought it was a SSC tweak when I looked at it quickly.:clap

Great line-up though - love seeing the gang together

Thanks tali..........zuckuss is a bit more than a straight repaint, new shorter body, padding underneath, cloth added to hoses and bits but yea the hasbro version pretty much had everything there for a nice figure with some work.

One of Sideshow's best!

I did remove the riffle stock and did one other mod to the shin armor, as his lower legs looked a little to scrawny...

Quick rundown of the shin armor mod.
-Removed gray straps (came off very easy and left no glue residue.)
-Pop the shin armor pieces in hot water and shaped them wider.
-Reglued the straps based on the movie ref

Wow, that looks really good, I love that Yak Face!

Will you be painting the bandages or RIT dying?

Thanks. I will paint them with watered down acrylics.

I have a whole set of pics of your Dengar - it was one of the primary motivators for me doing my Dengar custom! I can put them up on my imgur account if you don't have access to your pics.

Thanks, I appreciate that. :)

One of Sideshow's best!

I did remove the riffle stock and did one other mod to the shin armor, as his lower legs looked a little to scrawny...

Quick rundown of the shin armor mod.
-Removed gray straps (came off very easy and left no glue residue.)
-Pop the shin armor pieces in hot water and shaped them wider.
-Reglued the straps based on the movie ref

The modifications you did really look good. They really improved the look of the figure overall. Very nice.

Thanks. I will paint them with water down acrylics.

Thanks, I appreciate that. :)

The modifications you did really look good. They really improved the look of the figure overall. Very nice.

Thank you, I really appreciate it. Was a super easy mod to do.

Back