SSC Big Chap Legendary Bust vs Warrior Legendary Bust

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tchalikias

Super Freak
Reaction score
I'm guessing a lot of people here have them both. Which would you prefer if you could only have one?

I have to say I'm more fond of the original Giger design but I like the Warrior's sculpt and pose better.

So... desert island type question! Which one would you choose and why?

Thanks for helping me decide!

I prefer the big chap as a creature design but the production on the LSB was a real mess unfortunately. The Warrior didn't go completely smoothly with lots of scratches and paint chips etc. But the issues with the Big chap were pretty ridiculous. Go with the Warrior and you'll have a better chance of receiving an acceptable piece. It had better paint apps also, the big chaps was lacklustre at best.

For me personally, the big chap lsb was the biggest disappointment I can remember. I wanted it so much, and both of mine were shocking, I think the ssc rep was embarrassed by them which is a first.

Warrior. Way more accurate sculpt and better pose. The BC is nowhere near screen accurate enough to be a good looking rendition of the creature.

Big Chap - more issues, but I found the Warrior too small

Actually the Warrior is the correct size, the Big chap is oversized, but yeah there is a discrepancy there, they should be the same pretty much, if anything, the warrior should sit slightly higher to reflect its over all taller stature. Still, I think they looked good together regardless.

zH3A24K.jpg

qu1QOl2.jpg

^ The Big Chaps "eye sockets" on its skull make it look sad.

^ The Big Chaps "eye sockets" on its skull make it look sad.

All part of the creepy look, never been beaten yet imo. The problem is exactly as we all expected. Scratches on the plastic dome and crappy paint beneath that we can't get access to on order to correct it. That and most of them aren't sealed properly so dust and rubbish gets inside the dome, and the edges have large visible gaps with horrible black filler built up in places. A real mess.

There just seems to be something "off" with the big chap LSB. besides the quality issues of course.

Once I managed to forget about the QC problems and nit picky complaints...

I really like the way my big chap looks on display. Bigger, more presence. I cleaned up the paint a bit, but the clear dome really adds dimension to the piece.

I find the warrior a little plastic looking. Just my perspective.

The tendons on the warrior are a real disappointment, to the extent I had mine (and the whole bust) completely redone and repainted. It's a shame it doesn't look more like the prototype.

Sigh... Still can't decide. Obviously I want them both, however I can't afford them right now... I'm leaning towards the Warrior purely because I can find it cheaper than the BC online in Europe (~100 euros cheaper).

Indeed there's something a little off about the Big Chap but I can't put my finger on it... It gives me the same feeling I got while playing Alien: Isolation, i.e. its a pretty good approximation of the creature but not 100% screen accurate (apart from the game's choice for leg design obviously). Something about the shape of the dome at the front?

Yeah the shape of the dome at the front is not shaped right and the mouth is all wrong, to name just two things.

Should look a lot more like this.

224201162423pm.jpg

Nobody ever gets the dome shape right unfortunately (Sano aside) and the mouths are usually slightly horse like. But compared to other pieces like that ugly HCG 1:1, this lsb is actually quite a nice sculpt in general, and that's coming from me, the picky Alien guy! It is artistic, but what isn't from SSC these days? It at least looks nice. If I'd received the prototype, I'd have been over the moon. The problems were with the shocking production on it. The teeth are an embarrassment even on the better examples, they were sculpted almost as one piece so look like pieces of chewing glued together and painted silver. The tendons are just as bad, although not as bad as those on the Warrior. The paint is rubbish, it's covered in scratches and paint chips. The dome on my second one was glued on sideways (yeah, seriously) Both of mine had a broken left tendon. The domes were poorly fitted so were filled with horrible horrible black filler which also lifts it up on the lip ruining the sleek profile it should have. There were gaps all around the domes so dust and pieces of poly from the box got under the dome. My first one had a large paint spill right on the front of his skull but I couldn't get to it due to the dome being glued on (badly) Just an absolute mess of a piece and I'm getting disappointed all over again just thinking about it.

All of that said, a couple of people got very lucky and suffered almost none of the common faults, both of mine seemed to have them all... If you get a good one, the Big chap is the one I'd go for. But the odds are against you, so I can't recommend it, I'd say go for the Warrior. Yes it's smaller, too light and has double bad tendons, but it's a nice looking piece over all.

Once I managed to forget about the QC problems and nit picky complaints...

I really like the way my big chap looks on display.

I don't think it's fair to call people nit picky with regards to the Big chap LSB. It was actually well spoken of for the most part until the production pieces started turning up, we all know how that went.

Kind of showing it off better although you can see the black filler beneath the dome and some of the rubbish beneath it even here, like I said, get a good one and you're in for a treat.

LfFPf1b.jpg

lDnsM5m.jpg

I really liked this line up while it lasted...
7klaO1y.jpg

Well, that didn't take long. I went to a local store and they had one last Big Chap for sale. It was on display, had been for about three weeks, and I had a long, good look at it.

The teeth are indeed pretty bad, thankfully you need to get close to see the shabbyness of the paintjob. There are no paint chips or other anomalies that I can spot and no visible scratches or specks under the dome. The only blemishes are at the rear of the dome, two white dots (mini scratches?) that can only be seen from the back.

It's no. 49/2000 and its now mine! it being an open box item, plus the blemishes, I managed to haggle a good price out of the store owner. :)

The return home was nerve-wracking, reading all these stories of these busts being damaged during transfer, I drove as slowly as I could and tried to avoid potholes etc. Thankfully it arrived in one piece!

Photos from the store, last one shows the blemishes at the back (there were also specks of dust and insert foam pieces on it but a microfiber cloth took care of that!

DSC_1277.jpg

DSC_1279.jpg

DSC_1278.jpg

DSC_1281.jpg

P.S. Yes they'd stuck a price sticker on the dome...:slap Thankfully it left no residue. All in all, I'm very happy with this purchase. Now to start saving for the Warrior... :)

Back