SS Anakin take apart/remodel/repaint - work in progress

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren Carnall

Formerly hunky_artist
Reaction score
First let me say, this figure is great. I love it. However unlike Jedi Luke, which I never wanted to do a single thing to... with Anakin I could see things I knew I'd want to do to it, even before it arrived.

At first I thought I'd get away with a lip repaint, then I realised I'd want to do something about the chin/jaw size... then I realised I'd want to change the hairline/ shape of the hair... then ..... then...... and on it went, lol

these are a few pics so far.. I'll post more as I get then done. Oh... and this is my first 12" custom ever, so be nice (actually don't be nice... say what ya like!)

As he comes......... (actually I'd already thinned his lips/eyebrows with nail varnish remover at this point before I decided I wanted to do the whole thing)

IMG_0006%20(Small).JPG

and with his hair pulled/cut off (this took WAY longer than I thought, and I just about managed to get it off in one piece, without breaking through the hair itself with any holes.

IMG_0007%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0008%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0009%20(Small).JPG

"umm, excuse me Mr. Skywalker? It looks like you've dropped something...."

IMG_0010%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0011%20(Small).JPG

This is work started on the hair. The shape of the hairline has been altered (it looks and feels too heavy and forward on the figure when compared with Hayden. It need to be a little higher up his head, and the part needs to be further across towards his right ear.

IMG_0012%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0014%20(Small).JPG

...and this is where I'm at tonight. The bridge of the nose has been filled a little, the area under his nose has been flattened and filled in slightly (it looks too prominent and big), his chin has been taken it at the sides, and also 'lifted' underneath his chin (and a new dimple sculpted in)

The gap between the head cast and the neck stump has been filled, and work has started on the hairpiece (wig?) to fill in the old part... and then to sculpt in a few lines and details.

Oh, and since this last pic... his adam's apple has been cut off, and a new one sculpted a little higher (it just seemed a little low to me...)

IMG_0016%20(Small).JPG

And that's where I'm at tonight. After a little sanding I'm about to put my first primer on, and see what else (if anything) needs doing, before I start to paint it (man I wish I had an airbrush right now)

as although I do oil paintings for a living... painting figures like this is ALL new to me, so I guess we'll see how I'll do over the next few days.

Oh... and I painted his boots brown, lol (just mixed up some acrylic, painted it on and it dried a perfect dark brown. After a little weathering they'll look so much better than the standard black (at least I think so anyway) lol

............let the advice/comments/ridicule begin! :rotfl

Looks good so far! That shot of Anakin without the back of his head is pretty creepy looking... can't wait for more updates!

Way to go Hunky, keep it up! It's clear to me you have an Artist's eye, and a good one! Can't wait to see the finished piece.

You're a braver man than I! are you going to change anything else? The black tunic should be a dark brown, the boots as you say are brown.

There are some pics to help you make him a lot better! There are a lot of subtle details which will make or break the figure and from what I've seen you have the talent to pull it off.

Last edited:
ooh excellent resource of pics there! thanks!

I'm not sure about changing the outfit, yes.. I know it should be brown, but once it looks (hopefully) like Hayden, and I've made a few changes to the outfit (unstitching the belt from the leather thingies so the belt can be a little lower and not make his chest look so puffy.... I think it'll look good enough without having to make any new outfits from scratch.

And that's not really my idea of fun anyway.... so I'll probably leave that.

but that page will be really helpful.. aa few pics there I dont have yet, thanks!!

You're welcome! I unpicked the stitching on the "belt band" and let the 2 leather parts etc hang loose. They definately look better. I glued the large container at the side of his belt shut as it didn't look right.
I may dye the tunic though. I'm not brave enough to restyle the hair / head as you are!

Best of luck mate!

Can't say I'm brave enough to do that much to improve his look. I did repaint the lips and eyes to get rid of the gothic look.

ok it's update time.........

this is the head after some primer and a few coats of a basic flesh colour (yes i know you can see the brush strokes a bit.. I don't have an airbrush, and it still needs fine sanding.... so bear with me... this is a work in progress don't forget, lol)

This shows the different shaped chin and jaw, and the higher positioned adams apple. oh, and the filled in bridge of the nose. ...oh... and the sanded down/filled in part immediately under the nose (i can never remember what that's called)

IMG_0006a%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0007a%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0008a%20(Small).JPG

here's the hairpiece after resulpting the hairline, the new part, and some details. This is 4 different shades of brown (dark chocolate base colour.. then the same with some red, yellow and white added... then the same with some white and yellow added... then finally the same with even more white added. Making it paler each time. This was put on very dry, just flicking a flat brush across the peaks of the hair, paying attention to where the highlights and shadows would be (and yes I know most of you know how this is done.. lol, but this is all for any beginners thinking about doing anything similar)

IMG_0001%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0002%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0003%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0004%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0005%20(Small).JPG

more to come........

of course... no sooner had I finished painting my hair, that I realised I wanted to add more shape and detail to it....

IMG_0013%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0014%20(Small).JPG

and.... to the head too (it looks silly as it is... but i think (hopefully, lol) it'll look good when with the hairpiece and all painted)

IMG_0015%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0016%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0017%20(Small).JPG

and here's just a quick placement test (gives an idea of the potential for how it may (!) look)

IMG_0009%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0012%20(Small).JPG

hehe, yeah i think you're rigbt........ it is something like that isnt it, lol

ok more updates........

All the scultping and glueing is all done now, and I'm finally painting in the details... and BOY is it scary! (it's probably worth mentioning, that as with all photos it seems of these figures, any faults you can see with texture, colour, and brushmarks... don't show up to the naked eye... it has a nice smooth finish, but as soon as you take a photo... ALL the tiny little faults show up, lol)

Starting to paint the face/hair.....

IMG_0001%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0003%20(Small).JPG

nice brown boots (probably will weather these to make them a bit more lifelike... but I'm happy with the colour)

IMG_0004%20(Small).JPG

...and a quick test of the hair on the head for shape and colour (not glued on yet, just plonked on top quickly)

IMG_0007%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0009%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0011%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0005%20(Small).JPG

...now I have to do the scary stuff (like all this wasn't??) like shading around the eyes... and.. y'know... the eyes themselves!!!! *gulp* lol

wish me luck

ok well I just finished this now, and while I'm fairly happy with it for a first custom, there are things about it I would change (and may well do)

It's fair to say though that I hate painting eyes, lol (even if it WAS my first time)

anyway, I dont have time to make a proper post now so I'll just throw up these quick pics for you, and I'll make a proper analysis and some more pics tomorrow when I get some proper time :)

IMG_0005_1%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0008_1%20(Small).JPG

IMG_0007_1%20(Large).JPG

Nice work Hunky Artist! COuld you share with us the brand of paints and the type of brushed you used (esp. for the eyes you love to paint). :lol

Back