Sphero's Star Wars BB-8 Drone

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I saw a shelf space and a price tag of $149.99 for it at my local Best Buy a week ago. Looked like as many as 20+ would be out at a time by the amount of space set aside for them. If that is any indicator of how plentiful it will be.

Everytime I see that soccer ball I just want to kick it! :lol

Just picked one up at the Apple Store. They were playing with it in store. Really cool little droid. Bit on the small side for the price but can't wait to get home after work and play.

Re: Sphero BB-8

Is this definitely 1/6 scale?

A member had a picture of it next to Star Wars 1/6 scale figures and its pretty close. Honestly I'd rather pick this up and have some cool functionality versus a static Hot Toys version with a bit more detail.

I found some reference that BB-8 in the movie is 26 inches tall.... so that's 4.3 inches in 1/6th.... and this toy is 4.4 inches, so pretty close... assuming the 26 inches to start is correct.

587C50A4-B13F-46B2-A7EA-B3585A3C49A9.png

It looked to be sixth scale in person. I'd post a pic next to some figures but by the time I get home it will have been in shops for a few hours over there so pics will likely have been posted.

A member had a picture of it next to Star Wars 1/6 scale figures and its pretty close. Honestly I'd rather pick this up and have some cool functionality versus a static Hot Toys version with a bit more detail.

And the Hot Toys one will likely cost the same or more.

I think the Hasbro is bigger so probably not 1/6 scale, plus it's not made by the company that built the real BB-8 so it's got that against it.

The toy seems like it would be great fun to the right customer, but collectors should remember that it is first and foremost a toy—a reskinned Sphero with an awesome magnetic head. If you're going to buy and play with a Sphero anyway, it might as well be this one. But I think that 1/6-scale collectors who leave this in a glass cabinet will be left wanting—it clearly wasn't designed as a collectible.

Orbotix are going to make a killing if they get a slice of every BB-8 marketed/sold by anyone else - you know, for having invented the technology that makes the droid possible (which they've patented).

Back