1/6 Speculation: Star Wars Episode IX Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Critical failure vs box office failure are two different things. It was coming off a weak sequel. Cost 275 mill to make which the general rule of thumb is double that for marketing and it made 500 mill on top of that. Every single studio would have taken a "failure" that made a billion dollars. Comparing it to Endgame is ridiculous. That was the summation of 21 preceeding movies. Star Wars has 9 mainline and 2 spinoff films. Regardless this is off topic; we can discuss this elsewhere. Your opinion is clear, so is mine. I disagree with your assertion.

No, comparing it to Endgame is not ridiculous. TROS was the “summation” of 40+ years of stories... 40+ years in the making for the saga to end.... the most popular influential pop culture franchise of all time... and it fell flat.

I used to get annoyed at those slagging off the prequels in PT threads, but I'm then posting in ST figures threads saying how awful it was and not surprised they'll release any more figures.
ae7d7cf9bd45f50d450d9b0f222d0233.gif

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

It was beaten by Lion King, Frozen 2, and Joker in the same year.

It didn't get beat by Joker. The boxoffice sites just froze their numbers as soon as some theaters started closing due to the virus but TROS was still in second run theaters in the US and however many screens overseas. At the time of the stat freezing it was literally only $100,000 behind Joker *worldwide*, which was supposedly a cultural phenomenon and the "most talked about movie of the year." Okay so TROS made a huge profit (though not as big as Joker due to the difference in their budgets, that's for sure, lol) and equaled the financial success of a worldwide phenomenon (though TROS absolutely crushed Joker in the States.)

It's only a "failure" if a made up narrative says that it had to somehow equal EG (utterly ridiculous) or TFA (when neither ESB nor ROTJ made anywhere close to ANH.) But making over a billion after TLJ drove away half the fanbase and Solo tanked? An amazing come from behind win.

It didn't get beat by Joker. The boxoffice sites just froze their numbers as soon as some theaters started closing due to the virus but TROS was still in second run theaters in the US and however many screens overseas. At the time of the stat freezing it was literally only $100,000 behind Joker *worldwide*, which was supposedly a cultural phenomenon and the "most talked about movie of the year." Okay so TROS made a huge profit (though not as big as Joker due to the difference in their budgets, that's for sure, lol) and equaled the financial success of a worldwide phenomenon (though TROS absolutely crushed Joker in the States.)

It's only a "failure" if a made up narrative says that it had to somehow equal EG (utterly ridiculous) or TFA (when neither ESB nor ROTJ made anywhere close to ANH.) But making over a billion after TLJ drove away half the fanbase and Solo tanked? An amazing come from behind win.

You are also delusional if you think a trilogy ending Christmas release isn't going to do $1 billion at the box. That was a given and this was a complete failure.

You are also delusional if you think a trilogy ending Christmas release isn't going to do $1 billion at the box. That was a given and this was a complete failure.

Nonsense. Battle of the Five Armies couldn't even hit a billion and that was NOT after the second entry in the trilogy drove away half the fanbase and then a follow up movie bombed.

Apathy for Star Wars was at an all time high prior to TROS and yet it still delivered the goods well enough to become a financial success.

*Nothing* is a given. If it was then Justice League would have made a billion instead of bombing. Nothing makes a billion "just because."

No, comparing it to Endgame is not ridiculous. TROS was the “summation” of 40+ years of stories... 40+ years in the making for the saga to end.... the most popular influential pop culture franchise of all time... and it fell flat.

Do you just search sequel trilogy topics to pick fights? This is off topic. Your stance is clear. Thank you move along. It's not the most popular pop culture franchise ever by box office gross. That would be the MCCU with almost double the gross. Harry Potter is also in lock step with Star Wars with about the same number of films. It's not even the highest grossing media series (Pok?mon at 95 billion). By what metric is it the most influential? Age? Winnie the Pooh is close to 100 years old and has grossed more. Total gross? Again Pok?mon has it beat. Total number of movies? MCCU has it beat.

Also the Joker had the huge disadvantage of being an R rated movie. And also probably not a movie that a lot of people went to see more than once. It's good, but it's also depressing.

Also the Joker had the huge disadvantage of being an R rated movie. And also probably not a movie that a lot of people went to see more than once. It's good, but it's also depressing.

You are cherry picking items you like to bolster your arguments and ignoring the ones you don't like. You can't have it both ways. Again, this is off topic. Also your statement about it being unchallenged is factually incorrect, Jumanji was on week 2 and grossed 750 mill coming off a close to a billion dollar initial gross from Jumangi (1? 2 the first rock one whatever). Anyway, please take your ST discussion to a thread where it's relevant. Khev is already with Ducky in the movies area.

You are cherry picking items you like to bolster your arguments and ignoring the ones you don't like. You can't have it both ways. Again, this is off topic. Also your statement about it being unchallenged is factually incorrect, Jumanji was on week 2 and grossed 750 mill coming off a close to a billion dollar initial gross. Anyway, please take your ST discussion to a thread where it's relevant. Khev is already with Ducky in the movies area.

You are the one ignoring facts on the previous page. I'll post here if I want noob.

You are cherry picking items you like to bolster your arguments and ignoring the ones you don't like. You can't have it both ways. Again, this is off topic. Also your statement about it being unchallenged is factually incorrect, Jumanji was on week 2 and grossed 750 mill coming off a close to a billion dollar initial gross. Anyway, please take your ST discussion to a thread where it's relevant. Khev is already with Ducky in the movies area.

Okay I don't think it's really fair to spend half your post continuing the debate while also stating that it's off topic and to take the discussion elsewhere. What are you new or something? ;)

Okay I don't think it's really fair to spend half your post continuing the debate while also stating that it's off topic and to take the discussion elsewhere. What are you new or something? ;)
I feel like I'm being chased from the thread by mall security...
2b9e4f84b87b846f30733aeec5c3fd71.jpg

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Do you just search sequel trilogy topics to pick fights?

No, but it seems like you created your account for that reason.

This is off topic.

So are half of your posts debating the ST in this thread. Seems kind of odd. Everyone is just having a discussion.

Your stance is clear. Thank you move along.

No, I don't think I will.

It's not the most popular pop culture franchise ever by box office gross. That would be the MCCU with almost double the gross. Harry Potter is also in lock step with Star Wars with about the same number of films. It's not even the highest grossing media series (Pok?mon at 95 billion). By what metric is it the most influential? Age? Winnie the Pooh is close to 100 years old and has grossed more. Total gross? Again Pok?mon has it beat. Total number of movies? MCCU has it beat.

Cultural impact and relevance. You should see just how much Star Wars has impacted people and changed the genre, film making, toys, etc... far more than anything else.

Surprised that we haven't seen any sign of Zombie Palpatine nor Ben Solo across the medium.

Howard will only want to do the bare minimum for TROS to meet any obligations Hot Toys has. We can guess he knows where the actual money-maker lies: The Mandalorian.

Compared to that the Sequel Trilogy is a virus that needs isolating from anything that could be termed 'classic Star Wars'.

Since Star Wars movies (and series) are primarily commercials for merchandise, which became evident in the 1980s with the multiple iterations of Stormtrooper types (a trend paralleled in Superhero movies by the continual changing of costumes), the Sequels have not served their purpose. They don't appear to have captured the popular imagination the way The Mandalorian has.

Surprised that we haven't seen any sign of Zombie Palpatine nor Ben Solo across the medium.

These two and dark Rey would?ve been purchased for me. As it stands, I?ve not preordered anything from this film despite really enjoying . I?ve got three Reys and two Kylo?s and they?re TROS representations aren?t different enough to spend $$$ on a new figure. Redeemed Ben and Dark Rey WOULD be different enough

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

These two and dark Rey would?ve been purchased for me. As it stands, I?ve not preordered anything from this film despite really enjoying . I?ve got three Reys and two Kylo?s and they?re TROS representations aren?t different enough to spend $$$ on a new figure. Redeemed Ben and Dark Rey WOULD be different enough

Ps. Since we always end up talking box office and film comparisons, I found Joker to be a nearly unwatchable movie and it?s box office success largely manufactured by the talk of it being dangerous and people being afraid to go to the theater. No better way to get a bunch of people to HAVE to go see it! Not here to start a debate just my perspective.

Why still no C-3PO from HT? From OT,PT or NT. IT’s weird...

Ps. Since we always end up talking box office and film comparisons, I found Joker to be a nearly unwatchable movie and it?s box office success largely manufactured by the talk of it being dangerous and people being afraid to go to the theater. No better way to get a bunch of people to HAVE to go see it! Not here to start a debate just my perspective.

Thank you! Finally someone else see’s how awful Joker was. Just boring and depressing. I think people think it’s great because they feel like they have too.

Ben Solo, and zombie Palps should show up eventually.

Back