1/6 Speculation: Star Wars Episode IX Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I rewatched TLJ last night. I enjoyed it. Even Canto sequence felt shorter. I still don't get the hate for TLJ.
For me, saga was about Vader. Unlike Luke, Vader is not present in ST, yet I still like it.

I rewatched TLJ last night. I enjoyed it. Even Canto sequence felt shorter. I still don't get the hate for TLJ.
For me, saga was about Vader. Unlike Luke, Vader is not present in ST, yet I still like it.

Down to the individual, there’s no right or wrong. I personally despised the film but then again I hated TFA as well.

Episode VII was a complete rehash of episode IV.. but it was done with love and at the end there was good story opportunities presented but not set in stone and excitement for the follow up. I enjoyed it a lot more then say episodes I and II.

Episode VIII had so much wrong with it, half of it hard to put the finger on, that the bright moments it had - cause there were both story wise and in other ways - got completely nulled out. I can live with what Rian/Disney did with Luke's character, had it been handled better. It was just lazy and forced.

Granted at the end he returns to the force like his mentor Yoda, the best end a jedi can hope for in the star wars universe but wow was it rushed.
Imagine if the movie had ended with Luke staring into the dual sunset and not died - that's a way to set the stage for the next film and his story onward, cause there was surely one to be told.
That's a way to have people leave the cinema excited for whats next, in the end as Lucas himself said it's about making people feel good, so their day gets a little better. I'm sure his billions of dollars earned didnt hurt either. Just look at Disney's treatment of star wars vs Marvel's line of movies. One is right and one is wrong.

I know there are people who dont mind episode VIII, even applaud it but I've honestly not talked to anyone, kids or adults so far who liked the movie on par with any previous installment in the saga. I feel no excitement at all for episode IX, and I know im not alone. That's not a good sign for the biggest movie franchise in the world.

They dropped the ball hard on TLJ, very hard too. Hopefully real life remakes of Aladdin and the lion king, maybe a couple more jungle book rehashes etc. will keep the creative powerhouse that is Mickey afloat :monkey3

But there's also a part of me that feels like the difference between the OT and the ST is like the difference between "Grease" and "Grease 2". Same world/visuals, same vibe, same old sidekicks and cool vehicles but... something fundamental missing. Yet... the cast is okay and it's fun enough to watch.

I always think of the Kevin Smith fan-j*zz moment when he got to walk into the Falcon set. Maybe that's what the ST is for everyone. A walk back into that world, a serviceable recreation of what was - and that's enough.

Yeah I do feel that a little bit. I've really enjoyed the movies, but they do lack the bold originality of the OT and the real sense of danger that you felt from Vader and the Empire. The First Order just doesn't inspire nearly that kind of dread, which I think undercuts the story and makes it harder to feel the stakes in the same way we felt it with the OT.

For me it's really Rey and Kylo and those actors' terrific performances that make this trilogy worth watching and give it the weight and power that it has.

I think Disney had more freedom with Marvel series. That's a new IP moviewise, it had no unwritten rules.
Consider Star Wars. Imagine the backlash if they put postcredits scene in the movies. Do you think they can put a flashback scene in any movie? Marvel is using postcredits to increase the curiosity for next film. Star Wars can't do that. Other than that, I may agree with Rayegnor on not the idea but the execution was flawed in TLJ.

BTW, a Padme announcement would have been good for Valentine's day.

Episode VII was a complete rehash of episode IV.. but it was done with love and at the end there was good story opportunities presented but not set in stone and excitement for the follow up. I enjoyed it a lot more then say episodes I and II.

Episode VIII had so much wrong with it, half of it hard to put the finger on, that the bright moments it had - cause there were both story wise and in other ways - got completely nulled out. I can live with what Rian/Disney did with Luke's character, had it been handled better. It was just lazy and forced.

Granted at the end he returns to the force like his mentor Yoda, the best end a jedi can hope for in the star wars universe but wow was it rushed.
Imagine if the movie had ended with Luke staring into the dual sunset and not died - that's a way to set the stage for the next film and his story onward, cause there was surely one to be told.
That's a way to have people leave the cinema excited for whats next, in the end as Lucas himself said it's about making people feel good, so their day gets a little better. I'm sure his billions of dollars earned didnt hurt either. Just look at Disney's treatment of star wars vs Marvel's line of movies. One is right and one is wrong.

I know there are people who dont mind episode VIII, even applaud it but I've honestly not talked to anyone, kids or adults so far who liked the movie on par with any previous installment in the saga. I feel no excitement at all for episode IX, and I know im not alone. That's not a good sign for the biggest movie franchise in the world.

They dropped the ball hard on TLJ, very hard too. Hopefully real life remakes of Aladdin and the lion king, maybe a couple more jungle book rehashes etc. will keep the creative powerhouse that is Mickey afloat :monkey3

:goodpost: I completely agree. Episode 9 is the first Star Wars movie I'm not excited to see. Don't get me wrong, I'll still go opening night but maybe it will make the experience that much better by not having high expectations like I did for Episodes 7 & 8.

Trust me, it's way safer to be on that side of the fence than over here with the racist and misogynist man-babies.:lol

I mean it seems pretty telling to me when even the actor doesn't agree with the portrayal.

I like a lot of and agree with many of your insights on topics, but this is one that I don’t agree with, when people say that just because Mark Hamill disagreed with Luke’s portrayal in the ST, then it means Luke’s portrayal was inherently wrong.

I get these actors often times bring life to these characters and they are the personification of them, but the fact still remains that it’s an argument from authority and doesn’t actually make a cogent point. It’s akin to when a commercial advertises that 9/10 dentists recommend a product, and leaves it at that as to why you should buy it. That doesn’t necessarily prove a point.

To put it simply: one can disagree with Mark Hamill.

I like a lot of and agree with many of your insights on topics, but this is one that I don’t agree with, when people say that just because Mark Hamill disagreed with Luke’s portrayal in the ST, then it means Luke’s portrayal was inherently wrong.

I get these actors often times bring life to these characters and they are the personification of them, but the fact still remains that it’s an argument from authority and doesn’t actually make a cogent point. It’s akin to when a commercial advertises that 9/10 dentists recommend a product, and leaves it at that as to why you should buy it. That doesn’t necessarily prove a point.

I agree that just because an actor disagrees with changes to his longtime character that it means the portrayal is inherently wrong.

It does however follow that just because Disney buys the property and hires a writer/director that his take on Luke is inherently right, and I would argue that due to Hamill being intimately involved with the creative forces behind the OT (far beyond GL obviously) all those years it perhaps gives him more weight to "know" what made the OT work so well.

I say creative forceS obviously because even GL himself couldn't make the PT work in the way the OT did, making clear that it was a unique synergy of creative forces, most of which Hamill worked with for years or at least frequently spoke with.

True. Alec Guinness thought his character was ridiculous, but he played him damn well all the same. For three films no less. He needed the money.

It's clear that Guinness didn't "get it" - it's also clear that Hamill did though. You could say he passionately believed it in long before the first movie was even released, but I'm guessing most young actors feel that way about a big new project they are involved in.

But it is what made Hamill unique amongst the leads in SW - he clearly "got it" and loved it from start to finish. Very unlike HF, CF and Guinness.

The thing is though that I agree with him that the character is all wrong. Like TaliBane mentioned Hamill gets what fans wanted from him as Luke, and like I mentioned earlier I think he’s as much of a fan of the Star Wars universe as anyone and didn’t feel like the direction his character went in The Last Jedi was a natural progression of the character and didn’t even feel like the same person in a lot of ways.

Also to Wor-Gar’s point about Guinness, again like TaliBane mentioned he didn’t really seem to get the popularity of Star Wars and was in a lot of other classic films that he wasn’t recognized for and I think it irritated him as he probably felt Star Wars was below his other work or something. Ford is much the same way. He really hasn’t wanted much to do with Star Wars since 1980 and originally didn’t want to come back for Return of the Jedi.

Where Hamill is different in my view is I get the sense that he would play Luke as long as he could if given the opportunity. Part of that is probably because he didn’t have a major acting career, but I also get the feeling that he wants to give back to the fans in any way he can, and again I think he’s got a lot of personal attachment to the character and franchise.

It's clear that Guinness didn't "get it" - it's also clear that Hamill did though. You could say he passionately believed it in long before the first movie was even released, but I'm guessing most young actors feel that way about a big new project they are involved in.

But it is what made Hamill unique amongst the leads in SW - he clearly "got it" and loved it from start to finish. Very unlike HF, CF and Guinness.
Exactly. I think that’s why it’s so damn disappointing. I not only don’t like what Rian Johnson did with the character, but I also feel bad for Hamill as I think he wanted something better. He still acted the hell out of the part, but I bet if you really got him to be honest he’d tell you that he was disappointed with how Luke was brought back, which is unfortunate as it along with IX are almost positively the last times he’s going to play the part. Considering his fate in VIII there’s not a lot of directions to really go with him aside from if there are flashbacks.

Well, there are all kinds of influences and context you need to account for in making a judgement on Hamill and TLJ.

Like if Indy was sold to a different studio a decade or so ago but HF had major issues with the direction of the character - but that's different because HF can just walk away because he's a star (Hamill really couldn't for career and financial reasons.) But would we have given more weight to HF's issues with Indy?

If Hugh Jackman had major issues with the direction of Wolverine a new writer/director was taking it, would we put more weight in it? Despite playing the role for so long, I'd argue that Jackman is more a "gun for hire" actor - what many seem to categorize Hamill as - vs Hamill seeming to be a genuinely passionate fan of SW from 1976 to present. Yet it's likely people would lend more weight to Jackman's disapproval, possibly because again, he's a major star.

It's a complex question about Hamill and how much weight his views on TLJ should be given.

There's definitely something to be said for an actor having a connection with and understanding his character... but this is also a situation where he's returning to a character 35 years later, after Luke has clearly been through many more struggles and tragedies that Hamill never had to portray or experience on screen. And I'm just not sure if he would still have that same connection, or be as prepared to play a Luke who had really been changed by those experiences.

Plus I'm also reminded of William Shatner in ST:V basically just playing himself the whole way through, despite being Kirk for years and supposedly knowing the character so well. Or Patrick Stewart insisting on making Picard an action hero in every TNG movie just because he thought it would be more fun. So I don't know if I'm willing to completely trust an actor's judgment when it comes to their characters. ;)

If I had to guess what he expected I think the obvious answer is he probably expected something more along the lines of him playing the new Obi-Wan. You can argue to an extent that he did that, but it was basically the polar opposite version. He didn’t really want to help Rey and had totally given up all of his ideals even knowing that the Resistance is in trouble. He pretty much did the equivalent of sticking his q in his ears saying: I’m not listening to you. I don’t feel like Luke should have acted that way.

Someone like Shatner has always had an ego. I didn’t realize that about Stewart and always assumed that the studio wanted him doing more action to sell the films more as Trek films don’t have as much mainstream appeal/

I admit it does seem like an overreaction at first, and Hamill was probably right to question if Luke would really shut himself off from the galaxy for so long. But I can also see how the isolation and being cut off from his friends and the Force could have changed Luke and allowed the guilt to consume him in a more lasting way, much like a prisoner who's been cut off from society for 20 years and who has trouble readjusting to the outside world afterwards.

True. Alec Guinness thought his character was ridiculous, but he played him damn well all the same. For three films no less. He needed the money.

How things turn in a circle eh?
Circle of life.

Some folks give Hamill too much credit, and I get that he is the boyhood hero to many.

Hamill MAY feel connected to the character, He MAY have good insight to the character after all these years, he MAY feel he owes something to the fans......but he took the job because of the money. Simple as that. He got screwed on the OT deal so this was a way for him to make money off the role that he was known for.

I doubt he would have done it for free, and he didn’t feel strongly enough about the changes to walk off the project.

So its about the Money , and who can blame him. If Mark Hamill the PERSON made tons of cash off the role finally, then I am not too concerned about Luke Skywalker the CHARACTER and what happened to him.

Sent from the inside of a giant slug in outer space.....

Just give me the Knights of Ren dudes and I'll be happy. I don't care about any of the Sequel Trilogy characters. Except Poe in X-Wing outfit.

Problem is I can't really see HT making more than one or two of them, which would make for a pretty odd and incomplete looking display.

Unless certain Knights have a more prominent role in the movie than others.

Problem is I can't really see HT making more than one or two of them, which would make for a pretty odd and incomplete looking display.

Unless certain Knights have a more prominent role in the movie than others.

Honestly, I can live with Grenade Face being the only release:lol

He's too awesome, yet simple of a design to not be immortalized in toy form. And he'll look perfect next to the leaked Kylo Ren costume update or can be kept next to his TFA version, as well.

8wf3ftd-png.892618

I love the look of the whole group! Because they all have unique designs I would absolutely pick every one of them up!

8e1df4e72e65ba6b97cc068f49c2cf56.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back