Speculation: Hot Toys "Solo" Movie Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
His response to ‘I might be the only person who knows what you really are’ really emoted Han Solo to me.

The bad news? I have no faith in this being anything but a major pander fest. TLJ may have been a stinker but at least it introduced new direction instead of exploring old plot devices and initial character motivations from the popular ($$$) original trilogy that largely need no exploring. Why do I need to watch a movie about how Han becomes a selfish smuggler? I don’t. These movies risk undermining the context of the original movies. I don’t mean for that to sound sanctimonious or anything, but we’ve already seen young Han Solo’s first really incredible galactic adventure that would go on to inform his decisions until his son broke him.

I don't have any expectations or real excitement for the Solo movie simply because I'm not really dying to learn about Han's past. TLJ I enjoyed a lot, mostly because of the Kylo/Rey/Luke stuff (though I liked Poe) also - and I felt it moved things forward and opened some stuff up.

That said, I hope it's good. Well, I hope every Star Wars movie turns out to be better than I expect but that's besides the point...

I feel bad for Alden though. I thought he was great in Hail Caesar and he seems like a nice dude. They cast him for the part, and he's doing his job. But he will inevitably get tons of **** or "ruins star warzzz" for some people because he's not a Harrison Ford clone. Hell, it's already happening and we've seen like 10 seconds of him.

Assuming the next "stand-alone" announced for 2020 will be Kenobi or something along those lines, I think the real test of how far they will go is going to be Johnson's trilogy. If it is well received, and in a completely different period, I think they'll be more likely to do stuff like Old Republic or just weird **** we've never heard of before.

As far as figures go, nothing from this so far really sticks out at me - though I thought some of the speeders looked kinda cool.

I actually liked the trailer.

"Rogue One" went far in redeeming the TFA mess. I'm hoping "Solo" does the same for the TLJ fiasco.

I'll take fan pandering over fan insulting any day.

Why do I need to watch a movie about how Han becomes a selfish smuggler?

It's way more than that. Solo is just the context.

We're finally going to visit Corellia and probably 2 more planets. We're going to see Kessel and learn why it's so important. More characters (aliens, bounty hunters, imperials), more background stories.

Some people will see it as "milking the cash cow", others will see it as "expanding the lore".

"Rogue One" went far in redeeming the TFA mess. I'm hoping "Solo" does the same for the TLJ fiasco.

:exactly:

I'm a bit more middling on the trailer, but the Hollywood Reporter reported back a month ago that because of the backlash against TLJ, fans were turning more hopeful on Solo... to "bring back SW" (i.e. people were mocking it, but then started to embrace the possibility of it more in the wake of TLJ.)

It's way more than that. Solo is just the context.

We're finally going to visit Corellia and probably 2 more planets. We're going to see Kessel and learn why it's so important. More characters (aliens, bounty hunters, imperials), more background stories.

Some people will see it as "milking the cash cow", others will see it as "expanding the lore".

Yeah that's kinda how I'm looking at it. This may not be a story we needed to see (much like the story for RO wasn't)... but that doesn't mean it can't give us some new insight and perspective on these characters, and be really fun and interesting to watch.

I hope the film is a big hit with the fans but leaves things open enough for "...the further adventures of Han and Chewie" type of films.

If they wrap it up walking into the Cantina in Tatooine, then it's a one and done.

Totally agree on this.

I don't have any expectations or real excitement for the Solo movie simply because I'm not really dying to learn about Han's past. TLJ I enjoyed a lot, mostly because of the Kylo/Rey/Luke stuff (though I liked Poe) also - and I felt it moved things forward and opened some stuff up.

Shhh, liking anything about TLJ is not permitted in here. ;)

We're going to see Kessel and learn why it's so important

I get the paracosm building, and that’s something I enjoy as well. But the Kessel run struck me as essentially a vehicle in two films to convey Han Solo’s notoriety. Done and done. With the breadth of the paracosm, and if exploring those yarns is a major point of the film, it feels like a wasted opportunity to be exploring a popular character’s pre-introductory beginnings instead of something unfamiliar, unknown, and risky. Like perhaps a film set in the Old Republic.

Come on Disney, put some of that cheddar on black and spin the wheel baby! :lol

I didn't care at all about Rogue One and love the ST, but I'm actually looking forward to this movie as a fun adventure movie that shows more of SW beyond the main conflict of Jedi and the Empire/Rebellion, First Order/Resistance.

Yes, it has gone very quiet on the TLJ front hasn't it. It's like they've decided to sub-in the A-team (read OT figures) when the fans all but rioted on TLJ.

I think the reaction to this movie has been way worse than anyone could have expected. I read that merchandise sales are way down compared to all previous Star Wars titles, despite the movie making money. That's a bad sign for collectable companies like Hot Toys, even toy companies. I would imagine that anything that was being planned for this year that had to do with TLJ has probably been scrapped.

Imagine how bad merch sales would be if it wasn't for the porgs...those seem to be the only new thing people actually liked from the movie.

Re: Speculation: Hot Toys "Solo" Movie Figures

Let the Rian Wars begin!

Solo vs TLJ... I hope Solo wins.
Alt Right bots are already primed to get the score above 90 on Rotten Tomatoes for Solo.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I wonder if the girl will die in the film

Let’s face it Disney is not shying away from killing off the females

Jyn, Paige, Holdo, ( Leia sort of but eventually )

So not sure I would get the female figure

CvGK5iNUMAEfRsR.jpg

I’d buy this in a second.

30w3v5k.jpg

What a refreshing look compared to Capri pants Rey and coveralls Rose.im really digging it.

I hope the film is a big hit with the fans but leaves things open enough for "...the further adventures of Han and Chewie" type of films.

If they wrap it up walking into the Cantina in Tatooine, then it's a one and done.
If this is remotely good and everyone nails it - I wouldn't be opposed to this idea within reason.

Back