Speculation: Hot Toys "Solo" Movie Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They probably build prototypes to get real-world estimates for production costs. A physical thing is better to show the factory team. And then some protos are dropped simply because it won't fit into HT's price requirements, others because the film performs poorly.

Makes sense. Another reason is Howard probably wants them for his private collection :lol

They had two amazing prototypes for that movie. I really liked the design of the spacesuits. Never saw the movie though. :lol

Movie was so so. Visuals and concept were great, just the story pretty average. Don't think many went to see it, so that's probably the reason they didn't follow up on the prototypes. Which actually looked pretty cool imo.

They probably build prototypes to get real-world estimates for production costs. A physical thing is better to show the factory team. And then some protos are dropped simply because it won't fit into HT's price requirements, others because the film performs poorly.

I always wondered as to whether that is why we did not get Baze.

Lots of unique sculpted bits for a bulky, and at the time of the films release, high risk figure. I still hold out hope he will come out but it could be a while off yet. Hopefully Rogue One's momentum as the best modern SW film will continue to grow.

I bet they don’t revisit Rogue One. That’s the bad part about having a film per year now, once they finish up it’s pretty much case closed and onto the next project. The exceptions are the Original and Prequel Trilogies because they didn’t get to make figures for those initially.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Given that Rogue One is Disney's 2nd biggest grossing Star Wars film, I have hope for more figures.

TLJ is second, RO is third:

1. TFA - $936 million
2. TLJ - $620 million
3. RO - $532 million
4. Solo - $194 million

Solo has yet to earn as much as TFA and TLJ did on their *opening weekends.*

1. TFA - $936 million
2. TLJ - $620 million
3. RO - $532 million
4. Solo - $194 million

That’s a shame. Personally, I enjoyed Solo a lot more than The Last Jedi. I was hoping Hot Toys would at least make a Lando and a Range Trooper.

You must look on those numbers in context. TFA, first SW movie after 30 years, insane hype and expectations. TLJ next in the new trilogy, again huge expectations. And even bigger fail. Yes, it made money, everybody went to see it, but oh that aftermath. Poor Solo went right into the anger and frustration TLJ left in, i dare to say, half of fandom.

1. TFA - $936 million
2. TLJ - $620 million
3. RO - $532 million
4. Solo - $194 million

Wait -- something's amiss. Is that domestic or international or overall BO?

I could have sworn we were just discussing this a few days back in the movie thread and there was (is) a chart and everything showing that each consecutive SW Disney movie has done worse than its predecessor?

Certainly money-making has nothing to do with quality.... but then quality can be subjective.

But I distinctly remember a 'chart' that someone posted (maybe they made it up) about earnings of the Disney Wars movies in some form that went:
TFA
RO
TLJ
Solo

It was regarding a discussion on the steady decline of each Star Wars film under Kathleen Kennedy. I looked but can't find it now -- have no idea what buzz word to search with. But I check BOmojo and there's no breakdown where RO beats TLJ... so now I'm really curious where that post is.

Anyway, I would have expected TLJ to best RO (unfortunately) that's why the chart impressed me.

Maybe Khev can find it, he's good at that.

Last edited:
That's interesting. I know it's easy to look back at TFA and say it made alot because it was 10 years in the making but had TLJ not disappointed half the fan-base, I really think it could've easily matched TFA.

Going back to the SE theatrical releases in the 90s, I've seen each movie 3-4 times in theaters. Compared to only twice for TLJ.

Going back to the SE theatrical releases in the 90s, I've seen each movie 3-4 times in theaters. Compared to only twice for TLJ.

All the movies in the $2 billion club got there on multiple viewings. I recall watching the news while Titanic was in theaters interviewing teenage girls bragging that they've seen the movie in theaters like 15X. Same goes for Avatar and TFA. I watched TFA 3X and enjoyed it. Once was more than enough for The Last Jedi and Solo. My crystal ball tells me Episode 9 box office returns are going to be even worse than TLJ.

I wonder how much of this info Hot Toys marketing takes into account when they release figs for pre-order. I am sure they make prototypes of everything, but what is the criteria to actually put one into production?

All the movies in the $2 billion club got there on multiple viewings. I recall watching the news while Titanic was in theaters interviewing teenage girls bragging that they've seen the movie in theaters like 15X. Same goes for Avatar and TFA. I watched TFA 3X and enjoyed it. Once was more than enough for The Last Jedi and Solo. My crystal ball tells me Episode 9 box office returns are going to be even worse than TLJ.

I wonder how much of this info Hot Toys marketing takes into account when they release figs for pre-order. I am sure they make prototypes of everything, but what is the criteria to actually put one into production?

I doubt they make prototypes of "everything" or even many at all. My guess would be they stick to the main characters obviously, and decide based on movie hype, actual movie outcome/box-office, complexity/cost of costume, info received from Studio/trailer, use of existing designs/parts from previous movies (same character), and in the end if the business case makes sense. Cause in the end that's what counts most. However all that factors into a business case anyway.

I guess on top of that there is also Howards personal interest.

I doubt they make prototypes of "everything" or even many at all. My guess would be they stick to the main characters obviously, and decide based on movie hype, actual movie outcome/box-office, complexity/cost of costume, info received from Studio/trailer, use of existing designs/parts from previous movies (same character), and in the end if the business case makes sense. Cause in the end that's what counts most. However all that factors into a business case anyway.

I guess on top of that there is also Howards personal interest.

Ya, but if they went on movie hype/box office outcome they never would have released an Alden Solo figure, nevermind 2 of them. And I bet you there is a Rose Tico and Jar Jar prototype sitting on Howard's desk as we speak. :)

Back