Speculation: Hot Toys "Solo" Movie Figures

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hot Toys would be smart to ignore off-shoot films like Solo, and double down on OT releases. Sequel trilogy figure sales are stagnant and most collectors like myself have or intend to sell off their EP7 figures after seeing The Last Jedi. The future of Star Wars collecting is OT (and PT to a certain extent).

I just saw Solo and i enjoyed it. Would get Han, Chewie and Lando for sure, but things aren’t looking good. I see this as a vote of no confidence from HT
Spoiler Spoiler:

I don't see anything other but the ones you mentioned ...

Spoiler Spoiler:

I don't see anything other but the ones you mentioned ...

That didn’t stop them with Rogue One. I think HT May have learned their lesson. Still I’d like to see some of the stormtroopers, the ones with the black cloaks looked pretty nice.

Came out of the midnight screening here in Aus.

I'd put the first act at the same bar the OT set but everything after that falls flat.

Hot Toys would be smart to ignore off-shoot films like Solo, and double down on OT releases. Sequel trilogy figure sales are stagnant and most collectors like myself have or intend to sell off their EP7 figures after seeing The Last Jedi. The future of Star Wars collecting is OT (and PT to a certain extent).
I wouldn't definitively say it's "the future of Star Wars collecting", they've already done most of what they can with OT. Except for a few figures people have been asking for i.e. Lando, Dagobah Luke, Slave Leia, Scout Trooper, and a few others, how much more OT do you really see HT doing?

There's still tons of figures that could potentially come out of the PT, and seems like there's decent buzz for the two they've shown already.

Also, just because you and others are done with ST collecting, doesn't mean everyone is. They obviously overproduced TFA figures, but the Rogue One figures weren't exactly shelf warmers and we have yet to see how TLJ figures will move since we've only seen one released, and it was just a repaint of a previous shelf warmer. I doubt HT will overproduce this time, and still have yet for any of TLJ main cast figs to release.

they've already done most of what they can with OT. Except for a few figures people have been asking for i.e. Lando, Dagobah Luke, Slave Leia, Scout Trooper, and a few others, how much more OT do you really see HT doing?

There's still tons of figures that could potentially come out of the PT, and seems like there's decent buzz for the two they've shown already.

The two biggest draws from the PT are done. No one else in that trilogy has the draw power other than Maul, Qui-Gon, Palpatine, maybe Yoda and a half-nude Padme for those type.

But the OT is far from finished -- beyond the handful you mentioned, we still don't have OT R2 nor a 3PO. That's pretty major. Then there's Endor Luke, Endor Leia, Hoth Han, Hoth Luke, Pilot Luke, and Ewok ( as much as I hate to admit it), and of course Jabba the Hutt and his main man Bib Fortuna.

They should either combine Han and Lando into a double pack to limit the number of SKUs on the shelf and walk away or skip it entirely.

Thats what they should've done for Lone Ranger and maybe even Prometheus. Put it all in one box and be done with it. If fans want one or the other, they gotta buy both of them.

I can see HT toys backing out of this. They never declared they were making products from this film. They were very vague, basically "Hey guys, this film exists!" And it wouldn't be the first time they axed something. X men first class, Tomorrow Land, Green lantern.

The two biggest draws from the PT are done. No one else in that trilogy has the draw power other than Maul, Qui-Gon, Palpatine, maybe Yoda and a half-nude Padme for those type.

But the OT is far from finished -- beyond the handful you mentioned, we still don't have OT R2 nor a 3PO. That's pretty major. Then there's Endor Luke, Endor Leia, Hoth Han, Hoth Luke, Pilot Luke, and Ewok ( as much as I hate to admit it), and of course Jabba the Hutt and his main man Bib Fortuna.
I get what you're saying, but respectfully disagree. Most of what you mentioned that could still come from OT are just different versions of characters they've done already. I have no doubt they'll make those, and that they'll sell, but I think the PT has more demand than you're giving it credit for.

Apart from the ones you said, there's still Jango, Dooku, Grievous, a plethora of Clones, Mace Windu, padawan Obi-Wan, etc., and I really do think there's strong demand for prequel figures out there.

Also, the others you mentioned (Ewoks, Jabba, Bib Fortuna) HT is usually reluctant with side characters like that, I've noticed they only like doing main heroes, villains, and troopers.

True, clones is where HT can make some real profit off the PT.

But I feel like after just a handful of characters from the PT, you're already down to "Tarkin" level with Dooku. With the OT, you had tons of figures before they got to that point. I think there's demand, but the PT is only 20 years old... whereas the OT had near 40 years by the time dolls hit $200+ a pop.

Well, I just don’t see the problem. I don’t see anything that should be a problem for anyone. But that’s my opinion. And it’s not Lucas who decides anymore.
Let’s stop this discussion, we’re not going to agree.

I was honestly wondering why you responded to my post in the first place, lol, I think we all know no one is ever going to agree here. Say your piece and let others do the same and move on. I only responded to hen88 because he directly quoted my post and took it so far out of context to make a strawman argument to try and devalue it, in his usual belligerent style.

And it’s fine if you don’t see anything wrong with it, I don’t care lol. And you shouldn’t care what I or others think either.

—-

Back to the topic, I think there’d be a large audience for PT era figures like Grievous, Dooku, Padme, Qui-Gonn, crimson Palpatine, Yoda, Windu, and maybe even Jango Fett? I’m not so sure on him though. Some of the more prevalent clones like Captain Rex or a Commander Cody would be nice too, along with stock ones.

I’m glad my OT collection is almost complete though... I’m almost out of that game at least.

A personal want of mine, though I think it’ll never happen, is Padme’s ‘empress’ look from TPM. I’ve always found that quite a work of art.

And who doesn’t want a little Anakin figure?! Right?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think you forgot Mace Windu and Count Dooku from the PT. I'd be willing to bet those two have just as much draw power/interest as Qui-Gon and Darth Maul.

I agree with you that the OT is far from finished. Aside from the Han/Luke/Leia variants, there's plenty of Rebels and Imperials that people would want. I'm sure I'm not alone in wanting some generic Rebels as well, like a Tantive trooper or Hoth soldier.

Definitely lots of Star Wars left for Hot Toys to tackle from the PT and OT if the ST and spin offs aren't going to be well received.

I wouldn't definitively say it's "the future of Star Wars collecting", they've already done most of what they can with OT. Except for a few figures people have been asking for i.e. Lando, Dagobah Luke, Slave Leia, Scout Trooper, and a few others, how much more OT do you really see HT doing?

Death Star Trooper (already previewed)
Gonk droid (already previewed)
Sandtrooper Seargent (already previewed)
Snow trooper Commander (already previewed)
Stormtrooper ROTJ (already previewed)
C3PO
R2D2
Jawas
Tusken Raider
Rebel trooper (Tantive IV)
Greedo
Tie Fighter Pilot
Hoth/Bespin Han Solo
Bespin Leia
Luke (Snowspeeder)
ATAT Driver
Lando
Chewbacca (with C3PO on back)
Darth Vader (ROTJ)
Jabba the Hutt
Leia (Boushh)
Slave Leia
Wickett
Scout Trooper
Speeder Bike
Rebel trooper (Endor)

This is just what comes to mind. I’m sure there are many possible figures I’m forgetting. The future for OT is bright.

They should either combine Han and Lando into a double pack to limit the number of SKUs on the shelf and walk away or skip it entirely.

Thats what they should've done for Lone Ranger and maybe even Prometheus. Put it all in one box and be done with it. If fans want one or the other, they gotta buy both of them.

I can see HT toys backing out of this. They never declared they were making products from this film. They were very vague, basically "Hey guys, this film exists!" And it wouldn't be the first time they axed something. X men first class, Tomorrow Land, Green lantern.

On April 8. HTs shared the Solo trailer on their FB page and said "See you in May". Of course, that doesn't mean anything though.

So if May ends without an announcement we can come to the conclusion that there won’t be any Solo figures? :lol

Back