So, MAUL bust a disapointement ?????

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Judging by that one picture (posted by Shai), the eyes look pretty dead on this otherwise fantastic piece. Me too, I really miss the gloss on the eyes. I can understand that some people might be upset by this, since the eyes take up a lot of attention. It's hard to tell if there is gloss on the eyes, but glossy eyes and smaller pupils would have looked more realistic. Looking forward to see some more pictures, that might give a better idea.

I don't think I missed any posts over there but it seems like all the people who are complaining about the eyes are just going off the pictures that are posted. And those pics have a lot of flash in them to really tell about the eyes.

Viking28 said:
I don't think I missed any posts over there but it seems like all the people who are complaining about the eyes are just going off the pictures that are posted. And those pics have a lot of flash in them to really tell about the eyes.
I agree, we need to see more/better pics first.

Viking28 said:

I agree in theory, but the flash should reveal the almost "sun ray" lines coming from his eyes, SS's piece appears to be missing those.

I've just seen so many of these pieces ruined by flash photos taking away all detail before everyone else gets their piece.
I won't know till next week so I'll be able to let you know then.

I unfortunately will be one of the last to let you know but it is still going to be the center piece of my collection for a long, long time.

Dave, where did you get that pic from?

you can pick up a small bottle of a gloss clear-coat at your local hobby store to paint on to give what its applied to a "wet look".

very simple to do.

i think it looks awesome.

Why don't we all just wait a few more days to see a few pics of one in hand taken in natural light. Doesn't really pay to speculate.

I am pretty sure there are some people on this board who can paint the eyes the way they like it. As for everyone else, you can either return it or live with it. No need to keep complaining about something that will in all likely-hood not going to change.

pjam said:
Why don't we all just wait a few more days to see a few pics of one in hand taken in natural light. Doesn't really pay to speculate.

There's *some* detail, but it isn't what you see in the movie. This is one of my pics:

Eye Detail

You can see the detail in the corner of the eye, but the iris is pretty much a straight gradiant. There is some gloss to it however, that gets a little lost in the photos.

I love the bust, and think it looks great, but I'm not going to tell other people how or when to spend their money.
I think in the context of the face, the eyes are just fine:
Face Detail

Mister Gosh said:
There's *some* detail, but it isn't what you see in the movie. This is one of my pics:

Eye Detail

You can see the detail in the corner of the eye, but the iris is pretty much a straight gradiant. There is some gloss to it however, that gets a little lost in the photos.

I love the bust, and think it looks great, but I'm not going to tell other people how or when to spend their money.
I think in the context of the face, the eyes are just fine:
Face Detail

Those pics are very helpful, but I'd still reserve judgment until we can see some pics taken in natural light, without the flash/glare.

pjam said:
Those pics are very helpful, but I'd still reserve judgment until we can see some pics taken in natural light, without the flash/glare.

As you wish. I'll try to get some better focused ones later, but there were taken outside with no flash:

Eye Detail

Face

You can see the gloss on the eyes in this.

Mister Gosh said:
As you wish. I'll try to get some better focused ones later, but there were taken outside with no flash:

Eye Detail

Face

You can see the gloss on the eyes in this.

Sorry MG, my bad, earlier pics looked flashy. Thanks for the pics, they are very much appreciated and Maul does indeed look damn good, maybe try to snap a few more?

Morning and late afternoon always work best for me.

pjam said:
Sorry MG, my bad, earlier pics looked flashy. Thanks for the pics, they are very much appreciated and Maul does indeed look damn good, maybe try to snap a few more?

The earlier pictures were done indoors with a flash, but I think ended up fairly representitive of how the thing looks in person (it's especially tricky to get good pics where the skin texture shows up).

I feel like I've linked the photos in a million threads already. The other threads about the bust on this board should have links.

They do look good, but I do see the complaint over the iris and the lack of "jaggedness." :maul

Viking28 said:
I don't think I missed any posts over there but it seems like all the people who are complaining about the eyes are just going off the pictures that are posted.

Not to mention the complaints are from those who don't even have the piece. Everyone who has received seems excitingly happy with it. Just like me. :chew The eyes on are not like the promo pic posted earlier in this thread. They are more like what we saw, in the movie, when Maul appeared after the hanger doors opened when he face Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan. Comparing it with that close up scene, I can easily see the eyes are 95% spot on. I'm sure we will have that usual bunch of complainers, but I'm beyond happy with mine. :maul

My 1:1 Maul Bust

Here's hoping everyone who wants one gets one. :)

Back