Snake Eyes Vs Red Ninjas Diorama Discussion and Pics

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Criticize statues all you want for being statues, but the Snake Eyes here looks better than the 12 inch, articulated Sideshow version, with his visor sitting too low on the face, mask haphazardly glued to the head, and looking like he weighs about 90 pounds if you take his gear off.

Get with the program and upgrade that shizzle newb! :moon

I think the fact that it hasn't sold like gangbusters, and the fact that the Ex is STILL available pretty much says it all. I have plenty of dios, LSBs, PFs and the like. But no soulless Joes for me thank you.

Sales here have nothing at all to do with quality. And despite having heard it ad nauseum, I still don't understand the argument that certain comic and movie characters make sense as statues, whereas Joes don't. That's like saying characters from movie licenses should only exist as forms of moving pictures.

Sales here have nothing at all to do with quality. And despite having heard it ad nauseum, I still don't understand the argument that certain comic and movie characters make sense as statues, whereas Joes don't. That's like saying characters from movie licenses should only exist as forms of moving pictures.

Wrong. People don't buy stuff just because it's "quality." It's about knowing your market. ;)

Sure it's a nice quality piece, no one is denying that.

But in it's place SS could have released a 1/6 figure that would have sold out.

I agree it is a fantastic piece. i also think in a better economy you would have seen this item sellout.

Wrong. People don't buy stuff just because it's "quality." It's about knowing your market. ;)
Your assumption is that, because a chunk of collectors on this forum only want articulated figures, that's all that will sell. I would argue that the reason for the lack of sales is that the Joe license just isn't as popular as other licenses, and that there aren't as many anti-Joe-statue collectors in the world as you would like to believe.

Imagine if Sideshow created articulated, 1/6 scale Marvel characters of the same quality as the Joes. They would sell probably 5-10X as many of those as they do Marvel statues. There just aren't as many collectors of high-end Joe stuff. Yes, 1/6 scale figures will sell better, but that will be the case if you were talking about any number of licenses that aren't based on 80s toys.

Your assumption is that, because a chunk of collectors on this forum only want articulated figures, that's all that will sell. I would argue that the reason for the lack of sales is that the Joe license just isn't as popular as other licenses, and that there aren't as many anti-Joe-statue collectors in the world as you would like to believe.

Imagine if Sideshow created articulated, 1/6 scale Marvel characters of the same quality as the Joes. They would sell probably 5-10X as many of those as they do Marvel statues. There just aren't as many collectors of high-end Joe stuff. Yes, 1/6 scale figures will sell better, but that will be the case if you were talking about any number of licenses that aren't based on 80s toys.

As much money is spent on the GIJoe brand, new, 80's and vintage, I'd say there are lots of them.

But if you put it in perspective, less than 3,000 1/6 scale Dukes (by most accounts a great, high quality figure) were produced, and his figure can now be found sub-retail. How many 1/6 scale Spidermen could Sideshow sell?

There are lots of Joe fans out there, but not nearly as many as there are Marvel fans, which is the bread and butter Sideshow statue license that folks seem to be comparing the Joe statues (and their relative lack of sales) to.

:lol G.I. Joe an unpopular license?! Hasbro has made MILLIONS off of G.I. Joe if not BILLIONS. You want to really see truth. Go over to Hissyfittank.com and look at what they're saying about Sideshow's G.I. Joes, environments and dios. As much as I hate to say this, THAT is the audience that collects G.I. Joe products moreso than us. They _____ and moan about paying $125 for a high-end action figure. You think they'll drop $300 on a static diorama? Some will, no doubt, but not nearly enough to make them a profitable venture. And that has everything to do with the market aka the consumer base. If the Joes weren't a profitable license, we wouldn't be seeing figures from it, let alone, two separate 3 3/4" toylines and a movie sequel.

But if you put it in perspective, less than 3,000 1/6 scale Dukes (by most accounts a great, high quality figure) were produced, and his figure can now be found sub-retail. How many 1/6 scale Spidermen could Sideshow sell?

There are lots of Joe fans out there, but not nearly as many as there are Marvel fans, which is the bread and butter Sideshow statue license that folks seem to be comparing the Joe statues (and their relative lack of sales) to.

Drop your comparison to Marvel. It's irrelevant. Medicom made a 1:6 Spider-Man and you can't even give that goddam thing away. :lol

What does marvel statues have to do with Joe figures? The Joe figures have sold. Aftermarket means nothing. Most of SS stuff you can get cheaper after they are released anyway. Precious Marvel statues included :lol

The reason I'm bringing Marvel into it is that it is the best comparative example of Sideshow creating a similar product on a different license that sells better. Presumably, that's the point of reference you fellas are using to say that the Joe statues don't sell. If not, please clarify. Again, I understand that Joes are popular. Of course. I never said they were unpopular. But they aren't as popular as other licenses, and that is why the statues aren't selling better. It is more about relative popularity of the licenses than the nature of the licenses when you are talking about different geeky properties.

If you want to say that Hisstankers complain about $100 toys, I won't disagree. But similarly, go to theFwoosh and see how many folks are buying Sideshow PFs. The markets for high end items are not the primary audiences of many (if any) geeky licenses.

And regarding Medicom, that comparison is irrelevant, because Medicom sucks.

Evilface's last post suggests that statues in general don't sell, which is a different issue, but supports what I am trying to say. I would agree that Marvel statues are as likely as Joe statues to go on the gift card list, etc. But their relative numbers produced are based on pre-orders, which is higher because they are more popular.

It isn't that Joe collectors are intrinsically against statues.

The reason I'm bringing Marvel into it is that it is the best comparative example of Sideshow creating a similar product on a different license that sells better. Presumably, that's the point of reference you fellas are using to say that the Joe statues don't sell. If not, please clarify. Again, I understand that Joes are popular. Of course. I never said they were unpopular. But they aren't as popular as other licenses, and that is why the statues aren't selling better. It is more about relative popularity of the licenses than the nature of the licenses when you are talking about different geeky properties.

If you want to say that Hisstankers complain about $100 toys, I won't disagree. But similarly, go to theFwoosh and see how many folks are buying Sideshow PFs. The markets for high end items are not the primary audiences of many (if any) geeky licenses.

Evilface's last post suggests that statues in general don't sell, which is a different issue, but supports what I am trying to say. I would agree that Marvel statues are as likely as Joe statues to go on the gift card list, etc. But their relative numbers produced are based on pre-orders, which is higher because they are more popular.

You keep ignoring my point. Less popular, more popular, it doesn't matter, and looking at any other license is irrelevant. You need to look solely at the Joe license and the consumers who make up it's market. It's called market research. G.I. Joe collectors as a majority have less interest in polystone and more interest in action figures. All the proof you could ever need is there on Sideshow's website.

Yea Marvel stuff sells more. The point of all this is SS needs to forget about statues with Joe, the majoraty of collectors will get figures over statues. That is why there is a "next joe figue" thread with pages and pages of posts and not a "next joe statue" one.

No, I'm debating your explicit point that "G.I. Joe collectors as a majority have less interest in polystone and more interest in action figures," when your suggestion is that the "market" of said collectors are fundamentally different than others.

I'm not suggesting that Sideshow should focus more on the statues. Clearly, they are selling the 1/6 scale figures, and should focus on that. But you can't prove that Joe collectors are inherently more against statues and more for articulate toys than any other types of collectors. That's what I've been trying to say.

Is this a silly argument to have? Yes.

This was obviously another great decision by SS..250 pieces and the EX is still available 4 months later..time wasted

Actually, the Snakes Eyes EX dio edition size is 450 pieces. I guess Sideshow learned their lesson; the Zartan and Flint EX dio is limited to 250. Now, should that dio not move, that's all Sideshow needs to know regarding what the majority of the Joe fans want.

Criticize statues all you want for being statues, but the Snake Eyes here looks better than the 12 inch, articulated Sideshow version, with his visor sitting too low on the face, mask haphazardly glued to the head, and looking like he weighs about 90 pounds if you take his gear off.

Yep. I know it won't happen, but I want a redo on the visor headed Snakes Eyes.

No, I'm debating your explicit point that "G.I. Joe collectors as a majority have less interest in polystone and more interest in action figures," when your suggestion is that the "market" of said collectors are fundamentally different than others.

I'm not suggesting that Sideshow should focus more on the statues. Clearly, they are selling the 1/6 scale figures, and should focus on that. But you can't prove that Joe collectors are inherently more against statues and more for articulate toys than any other types of collectors. That's what I've been trying to say.

Palisades made some kick ass statues and busts, but they rotted on the shelves.

Joe was the first action figure. Joe will always be about the action figures.

I dont know, Id say yes Joe fans are more into 1:6 then others, because thats what started it all. Marvel (for the sake of argument) didnt have a 1:6 line 30 years ago. if SS started one today, in 6 months the line would fail anyway, when the 2nd figure from SS was Banshee...:monkey1

The proof as Nam said is on the SS website, the MAJORITY Joe fans dont want statues hence you can still buy the EX.

The argument can be made for military in general, that Paratrooper PF was one of the only EX that didnt sell out from the con

Back