SilentSurfer's Laboratory: Come up to the Lab & See What's on the Slab.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, great pics. He looks amazing. That's such a weird coincidence. I think that was the first Lawrence I did years ago, and I just finished my third one for Gruff Old Bear last night.

For a second I was amazed GOB was able to take pics and post them so quick, then I remembered I haven't sent him the head yet.

Your Lawrence looks amazing.

And just because, here's the one I finished last night.

Lawrence-Front.jpg

Lawrence-LeftProfile.jpg

Lawrence-RightProfile.jpg

Thank you. Thank you.

Here's my next personal project. I jumped into the way back machine for this one. I recently watched Stargate again and thought it was time to dig out my old Horizon model kits of Horus, Anubis and Ra. They seemed like such an overwhelming task at the time when I was just starting out in model kits, but I've done so much since then, I think I'm finally ready.

Here's the official box art paint ups of the kits from 1994 (not my work).

Stargate2.jpg

I'm starting with Horus cause I like the straight up standing pose most, and I love the bird headdress.

Captures-025.jpg

horusStargate.jpg

The feather/fins were cast as one piece originally as you can see in the first pic above, but I went ahead and separated them to give it more movie accurate character.

HorusGuardBuildUpProgress02.jpg

HorusGuardBuildUpProgress01.jpg

HorusGuardBuildUpProgress03.jpg

When I'm done with this head, it will look as badass as this prop from SG-1.

7906646_1_l.jpg

More pics to come as I get things done.

Awesome, and it looks like you've got some sweet reference to work with. You are going to destroy those box pics.

I hope so. The box art is pretty good though. I may be wrong, but I think Tom Gilliland from Sideshow may have painted these. I had a talk with him one year at SDCC and found out he painted for Horizon before starting up Sideshow. I asked him which box art work he painted, and he flat out said, "All of 'em." In fact, the instruction sheets in a lot of the Horizon kits had basic paint tips and a little cartoony caricature of Tom.

Hey Nathan hope you had a happy thanksgiving.

Question, is it better that have like 10+ sculpts I want your amazing paint apps on or is less more? Lol

(3x Walter white, 2x Jesse pinkman, 2x don draper, 1x Gus fring, 1x mike erhmantrout, 2x Indy, 2x Rick grimes, 1x Shane, 1x Darryl Dixon, and possibly 1x Hannibal lecter)

Question, is it better that have like 10+ sculpts I want your amazing paint apps on or is less more? Lol

(3x Walter white, 2x Jesse pinkman, 2x don draper, 1x Gus fring, 1x mike erhmantrout, 2x Indy, 2x Rick grimes, 1x Shane, 1x Darryl Dixon, and possibly 1x Hannibal lecter)

:lol

Wow.

No, that's all fine, but I probably wouldn't paint them all at once. I'd probably break them up into groupings and paint each when a similar project came up, like if somebody else already in line had a Jesse or something.

Just some food for thought... I may not always accept just any sculpt. Not all custom sculpts are as good as Trevor Grove or Rainman and the like. If I don't think the sculpt is polished enough, I may decline. If there's not much likeness, you can bet on it. If the likeness is good, it stands a chance, but if the detail work still looks like amateur strokes in clay, painting it isn't going to make up the difference.

Note to custom sculptors. Likeness is only half the job. Learn how to "finish" the detail or you're not done yet. You can take that as an insult, or as sound advice.

No, that's all fine, but I probably wouldn't paint them all at once. I'd probably break them up into groupings and paint each when a similar project came up, like if somebody else already in line had a Jesse or something.

Just some food for thought... I may not always accept just any sculpt. Not all custom sculpts are as good as Trevor Grove or Rainman and the like. If I don't think the sculpt is polished enough, I may decline. If there's not much likeness, you can bet on it. If the likeness is good, it stands a chance, but if the detail work still looks like amateur strokes in clay, painting it isn't going to make up the difference.

Note to custom sculptors. Likeness is only half the job. Learn how to "finish" the detail or you're not done yet. You can take that as an insult, or as sound advice.

Well said! Your paint never disappoints, but there have definitely been some sculpts where I just wasn't feeling it. Not even your crazy skills can salvage a bad sculpt. Trevor's sculpts are mindblowing. I almost prefer to have 2 copies of his heads. 1 to have painted and the other to leave in its raw, beautifully grey sculpt form.

Understood. All of the Walters (one unpainted, 2 others bought off a fellow board member that id like repainted) and drapers are Trevor. Jesse, gus, and mike (all unpainted) are by Rocco. The indy's are wgp. So are the walking dead figs. Anyway look forward to seeing you work your magic... Even if its one sculpt at a time!

Back