Sideshow's Horrifying "Universal Monsters PURGE"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm a huge mark for the classics and I know some really heavy hitting collectors that are as well. But alas, I think we're a dying breed. I'm 38 and my daughter is 10. My mom introduced me to these films and in turn I've attempted to introduce my daughter to all of the Universal classics.

Does she appreciate them as much as I did when I was a kid? Probably not. So while she'll grow up with atleast an awareness of them how many other kids in her class can say the same? In her school? In my county?

I remember watching an episode of Spongebob with my daughter where at the end the animators super-imposed Max Schrek as Nosferatu turning on and off a light switch. It's sad to think that the monsters of the yesteryear will soon become an after-thought in todays pop-culture.

So it's tough to hear that Sideshow lost the license with no intentions of renewing. I guess you can take comfort in the fact that for the hardcore fans there are still other collectible alternatives ...

Not True, We are NOT the last of a dying breed, I am only 27 years old and I LOVE UNIVERSAL'S MONSTER FILMS MORE THAN ANY OTHER FILMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shai Hulud, If Universal Monsters were not a profitable license for Sideshow in the last 5 years that's because they are doing something wrong. Do not get me wrong, Their pieces are perfect! However, How can Sideshow expect the Universal Monsters license to be profitable When these days they were not putting out enough Universal Monsters product to make the license profitable?

Nick

Last edited:
Not True, We are NOT the last of a dying breed, I am only 27 years old and I LOVE UNIVERSAL'S MONSTER FILMS MORE THAN ANY OTHER FILMS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shai Hulud, If Universal Mosters were not a profitable license for Sideshow in the last 5 years that's because they are doing something wrong. Do not get me wrong, Their pieces are perfect! However, How can Sideshow expect the Universal Mosters license to be profitable When these days they were not putting out enough Universal Monsters product to make the license profitable?

Nick

I dunno Nickie~ I am going to go with the "dying breed" theory. The dioramas (that were supposed to be 500 each) supposedly never even made it to 500 pieces. Those dioramas were fairly affordable also. Do you have any friends that watch the films besides the gang we have here (me, you lonnie, etc.). I only know two other guys besides me that love those films. But neither of them buy merchandise of the characters because they are unable or unwilling to make sacrifices to get the items. They also arent the type of die hard fan SSC/Universal are trying to reach (again~you, me, Lonnie, etc.). I have worked 20 hours straight at my job before to get the money up for some of my items. Not too many folks willing to do this for the love of the ole Unis.) We need more people to get interested...but I dunno how to do it. :lecture

Shai Hulud, If Universal Monsters were not a profitable license for Sideshow in the last 5 years that's because they are doing something wrong. Do not get me wrong, Their pieces are perfect! However, How can Sideshow expect the Universal Monsters license to be profitable When these days they were not putting out enough Universal Monsters product to make the license profitable?

Nick

If they made a perfect replica statue of Grant Grant, with detail surpassing any piece they've ever made...it probably wouldnt sell. Why? Do you know who Grant Grant is? I do. I'd buy it. But who else would?

Well, after sitting on it through the weekend, I'm okay with it. More money for me to drop on vintage horror autographs. Next up: O.P. Heggie.

Yeah well I am NOT ok with it!:(:monkey2

I wouldnt let it bother you too badly. They havent even offered pre-orders any new Universal Monsters products for awhile now. This way we at least know they arent going to.

It would be pathetic if we all sat around hoping for a Masque of the Red Death PF, Wolfman 1:1 bust, Ygor 12 inch figure, or Phantom at the organ with Christine diorama without knowing they had no intention of delivering anymore product.

Unless something is a sure thing these days~it probably wont get made. Universal Monsters (as much as we love them) cannot be considered a sure thing in the current economic climate. Ask Jakks Pacific, and now Sideshow.

12 years of great product~most of which you own. Be happy and enjoy what you have. When things get better Universal's monsters will be back. Maybe even through Sideshow. Just not right now.:peace

Am I mistaken, or was some of this stuff still in stock? Do you think it really was destroyed or donated to charity, like that dealer said?

Back