Sideshow's Horrifying "Universal Monsters PURGE"

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
quick question...seeing as how i was looking at picking up some premium formats and 1/6 where is a good spot now to see some pictures of the universal monster stuff.

This forum is a very good place to start. Then ebay maybe? But definitely poke around in these forums using the search function.

This forum is a very good place to start. Then ebay maybe? But definitely poke around in these forums using the search function.

i did that but i cant find any threads with pictures of the premium formats. i searched titles and everything involving frankenstein and dracula.

Ok everyone I sent in a question to Sideshow Collectibles Re this "Universal" issue, If there even is an issue at all.

Nick

The reply I got from Sideshow Collectibles via facebook. I sent my question in on both Facebook and their website.

Sideshow Collectibles via facebook:
"Nick At this time all older Universal product has been archived. The new statue line, including Nosferatu, is still available on our website."

Sideshow,

Nosferatu is a Monster. He is NOT a Universal Monster. So, What do you all mean by "archived"? No more Universal Monsters products from Sideshow Collectibles?

Please clarify

Thanks
Nick

Nick~ It's over dude. One of the members at the UMA is a retailer of Sideshow products (goes by the handle "Mord"). He asked his sales representative what the status was for their Universal Monsters license. He got this reply:

Yesterday, a Sideshow rep confirmed that Sideshow's relationship with the Universal Monsters is indeed over~ with no plans to renew in the near or distant future. Their remaining stock was either "destroyed or donated to charity".:thud:

Put a fork in it~our beloved Monsters and their relationship with Sideshow is no more.:peace

~SIDESHOW UNIVERSAL MONSTERS 1998-2011~
12 YEARS OF THE UNIVERSAL MONSTERS BEING TREATED WITH A LEVEL OF RESPECT THAT'S GOING TO BE AWFULLY HARD FOR ANYONE ELSE TO ATTEMPT TO BEAT.

I gotta say though~ I feared this was coming.

Nick~ It's over dude. One of the members at the UMA is a retailer of Sideshow products (goes by the handle "Mord"). He asked his sales representative what the status was for their Universal Monsters license. He got this reply:

Yesterday, a Sideshow rep confirmed that Sideshow's relationship with the Universal Monsters is indeed over~ with no plans to renew in the near or distant future. Their remaining stock was either "destroyed or donated to charity".:thud:

Put a fork in it~our beloved Monsters and their relationship with Sideshow is no more.:peace

12 YEARS OF THE UNIVERSAL MONSTERS BEING TREATED WITH A LEVEL OF RESPECT THAT'S GOING TO BE AWFULLY HARD FOR ANYONE ELSE TO ATTEMPT TO BEAT.

I wonder if they can sell me the Son Of Frankenstein Silver Screen Edition 12 Inch Figure now? I hope he was not destroyed. :( :monkey2

If this is true a BIG part of my life is dead. :( :monkey2

You could add this to the "sun is setting on Sideshow" thread on that other collectables forum...

If this is true a BIG part of my life is dead. :( :monkey2

Now, now, Nickie~ don't let me catch you talking like that. :1-1:They gave us some really great product, and we can stare at what we have until we need glasses. :horrorIn case you haven't noticed~~a lot of toy and collectibles producers are out of business altogether. Some are afraid to go ahead with their plans to manufacture anything because people just arent buying like they used to. :monkey2I think this is part of what Amok Time's problem is. Also the company that was going to come out with that great Vincent Price figure~its yet to make an appearance. Eventually someone else will get the license besides DST. If their stuff is sub par, then wait for it to get better. But Universal Monsters shall never die. One way or another (albeit perhaps limited or niche) they will surface from time to time.:pray:

Isn't London After Midnight public domain? Phantom of the Opera, too? Why did Sideshow remove these products?

Isn't London After Midnight public domain? Phantom of the Opera, too? Why did Sideshow remove these products?

The film Phantom of the Opera is public domain. The Chaney make up/intellectual property is copyright Universal. As for London after Midnight~ the film itself is lost, but Chaney's likeness is held by Ron Chaney at Chaney Ent. I doubt they renewed their license with them either.

Nosferatu is public domain and nobody owns the likeness rights of the character either. Anyone can sculpt themselves a Nosferatu product and owe licensing fees to absolutely no one. Full profit on this character.

Now, now, Nickie~ don't let me catch you talking like that. :1-1:They gave us some really great product, and we can stare at what we have until we need glasses. :horrorIn case you haven't noticed~~a lot of toy and collectibles producers are out of business altogether. Some are afraid to go ahead with their plans to manufacture anything because people just arent buying like they used to. :monkey2I think this is part of what Amok Time's problem is. Also the company that was going to come out with that great Vincent Price figure~its yet to make an appearance. Eventually someone else will get the license besides DST. If their stuff is sub par, then wait for it to get better. But Universal Monsters shall never die. One way or another (albeit perhaps limited or niche) they will surface from time to time.:pray:

I just hope and pray that the Sideshow Collectibles Son Of Frankenstein Silver Screen Edition 12 Inch figure was not destroyed. :(:monkey2

Nick

Like a lot of you, the universal figures got me into SSC. I was able to get 8" and 12" figures at my local Toys R Us. What sucks is there is no good replacement.

kinda sad....but I dont think UM were a profitable license for Sideshow in the last 5 years.

kinda sad....but I dont think UM were a profitable license for Sideshow in the last 5 years.

You're probably right. I feel that Universal Monsters fans are starting to disappear, and I have said so for years now. Whether it be old age, death, or simply "growing out" of the desire to collect things, the fan base is diminishing. Couple that with the fact that there arent enough new fans being created and you have a recipe for extinction. If an animal doesnt reproduce it goes extinct. Same with genres of collectors.

It can happen. Here are a couple examples: Tom Mix, Roy Rogers, Hopalong Cassidy, and the stable of western characters from the 1940-50's. Quaint little niche market now~booming business in their day. but they failed to stay in the public eye.

Also consider this~ there was a time when everybody knew who "The Shadow" was too. He was a multimedia smah~ pulps, movies, serials, and radio dramas told of his exploits every week. But he has been out of the public eye for so long, only his devoted fan base and historians know who he is now.

If Universal Monsters fan base isn't added to, eventually there will be no fan base. Universal is even taking down the classic Monsters Cafe at their themeparks (from what I am told). This was the only tribute to the classics that was at the park. These classics made Universal. It would be a shame if they disappeared into obscurity. It could happen. Its up to us to get people interested and keep them going.:peace

I'm a huge mark for the classics and I know some really heavy hitting collectors that are as well. But alas, I think we're a dying breed. I'm 38 and my daughter is 10. My mom introduced me to these films and in turn I've attempted to introduce my daughter to all of the Universal classics.

Does she appreciate them as much as I did when I was a kid? Probably not. So while she'll grow up with atleast an awareness of them how many other kids in her class can say the same? In her school? In my county?

I remember watching an episode of Spongebob with my daughter where at the end the animators super-imposed Max Schrek as Nosferatu turning on and off a light switch. It's sad to think that the monsters of the yesteryear will soon become an after-thought in todays pop-culture.

So it's tough to hear that Sideshow lost the license with no intentions of renewing. I guess you can take comfort in the fact that for the hardcore fans there are still other collectible alternatives ...

What makes me the most sad is that they had the best Universal Monsters collectibles on the planet.

The new set does not suffice. Not in the least.

Even though I only had one fig I always thought it was a very cool line and thought many times about getting more. I guess I should have.

LAM2.jpg

Back