Sideshow Vs. Others

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marvelcollector

Freaked Out
Reaction score
Sideshow has been making a lot of the statues that have already been made before. What statues do you prefer? Sideshow vs;
Bowen: Silver Surfer, Bullseye, Hulk-buster Iron man, Carnage.
Diamond Select: Venom, carnage, daredevil.

If I had to make a choice between BD or SS Silver Surfer. I would have to choose the BD Silver Surfer. I think that would be the only statue that I would choose over Sideshow.

I love the detail that SS put into the body for the surfer, but i would also go with bowen. The pose looks sleek and determined. Its a good representation of him.

What do you think of the SS colossus? The best one yet?

I was thinking quite the opposite! :lol

The pose is cool, but that headsculpt is crap. :monkey4

Honestly, I really like Bowen for the selection, I feel like Bowen really listens to his fans, and because they are more true to comic. I just can't get over the tiny scale.

I think Bowen does a lot of the male characters really well, they always look pretty great, IMO. However, I think his females are crap . . . For example, I think Bowen's Colossus and Mr. Sinister look amazing, but on the other hand his Psylocke looks like a cheap action figure. This is not meant to offend anyone who likes Bowen, just my personal opinions. Sideshow does amazing on most characters, I love their detail and beauty. They too, have their obvious losers though. I think SS's Colossus is horrible, and their Nightcrawler is pretty sad too.

You do realise that sculptors work for both companies. Both produce quality it really depends which interpretation you prefer.

Bowen makes some really cool stuff. I can't knock it because what they make looks cool. Comic style wise I like what we're seeing with stuff from the new captain amercica, invincible iron man, and the upcoming ultimate Thor. Sideshow tends to lean that way so that's why I opt for them.

This is a very tough question...

I generally like Sideshow because they manage to consistently capture the "larger than life" aspect of the fantasy world of comics. Sideshow also has style, pizazz, and isn't at all afraid of taking risks. And, far more often than not, the paint applications are spectacular.

However, BD does do something Sideshow appears to struggle with from time to time, which is producing definitive character interpretations. BD appears more familiar with the Marvel brand. Then again, it's also quite possible Sideshow produces something very much unlike Bowen by design.

In essence, my thinking is we don't always need to reinvent the wheel.

I think Bowen does a lot of the male characters really well, they always look pretty great, IMO. However, I think his females are crap . . . For example, I think Bowen's Colossus and Mr. Sinister look amazing, but on the other hand his Psylocke looks like a cheap action figure. This is not meant to offend anyone who likes Bowen, just my personal opinions. Sideshow does amazing on most characters, I love their detail and beauty. They too, have their obvious losers though. I think SS's Colossus is horrible, and their Nightcrawler is pretty sad too.
I agree with you. I really liked the colossus from the dio., that was great. I wished they would have used a pose like that for the comiquette. I know that he is supposed to be bracing for an impact, but you can't help but think that it looks like he is taking a dump.

I agree with you. I really liked the colossus from the dio., that was great. I wished they would have used a pose like that for the comiquette. I know that he is supposed to be bracing for an impact, but you can't help but think that it looks like he is taking a dump.

Definitely, the Colossus on the Sentinel 1 dio is really awesome and totally is the piece that makes that dio amazing, yet their Colossus comiquette is really lacking.

Sculpts that I think SS done better than Bowen: Gambit, Venom, Wolverine, Elektra, Iron man.

Sculpts that I think Bowen done better than SS: Silver Surver, Logan, Daredevil, Ghost Rider, Sabretooth, Colossus, Bullseye.

I like the hulk buster iron man. I think they did that that one way better than bowen. I think bowen needs more detail for their sculpts.

Bowen has really stepped up there game in terms of a sculpt. As for Koto There paint apps aren't very good, they seem to suffer from the same thing DC direct does. Great looking prototype, Crappy job on the production side to me it seems they cant follow threw with the paint on there products. When they get release there WAY off from the proto, or there very poorly done.

Last edited:
those little things? :monkey3

:stick

DSC01041.jpg

as tall as the SS Wolverine Com.

What do you think of the SS colossus? The best one yet?

They Missed the Mark on the CQ, I had pre-ordered and then canceled, I cannot in good conscious Display something that I am not happy with and that also goes for any Statue; Now if they would have used this for the Head sculpt
IMG_4992.jpg
:exactly:

Back