Sideshow Superman Man Of Steel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But we don't need to have an exact match of the angle (lighting/equipment/aperture/contrast filter/white balance/etc.) to draw a few opinions and even some (bold) conclusions.

Hmm that's true I guess, but better pics taken on the same angle of the proto with better lighting would give us a rough idea don't you think?

Opinion 1. As always, the paint apps on the production piece are nowhere close to the league of the prototype, no surprises. But the latest photos show that the production apps are not SO bad that they degrade the piece any more than the usual proto -> production transition.

Conclusion 1. Same sculpt. Give or take the standard anomalies that can happen when the original mold is replicated for the factory, this is the same Trevor Grove head sculpt unveiled at SDCC 2013. The DLD shots, despite the angle issues, show that. I think that as we see a few more in-hand pics from members any remaining question will fade when a variety of lighting types are available for examination

Well it certainly looks the same to me, looks pretty much identical to the proto, I can't see any differences.

Opinion 2. This is a Hell of a nice piece! The costume is just fantastic, the pose really works well for this incarnation of Supes (SO much better than the same pose on the Reeve PF). And with the bonus of getting our hands around the cape posing, this is going to be a center-piece of our PF collections.

I agree, this is probably the best PF costume I have ever seen, nearly everything is fabric, so even if the sculpt has changed this is still a nice piece like you said, just because of the costume, which evidently accounts for 90% of the statue.

So who are our BEST PF sculpt re-painters..?

There are a few, I think Nathan Eatkins (AKA Silent Surfer) has done a few really good PF repaints and Ski is another one that does a few to. There is one artist that uses oil based paints to repaint his PFs but not sure if he does commissions. Here is a repaint of the Scar-Jo BW PF.

Here is his facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/leadrepaint

I'll show my repaint (whenever I get it in hand) then yall can decide if it's good enough :wink1:

Can't wait, really like your repaints. :yess:

Last edited:
Costume and Pose look good, but I'm not feeling the face. Also, is it me or does that neck look far too long?

Costume and Pose look good, but I'm not feeling the face. Also, is it me or does that neck look far too long?
Yea the neck looks a tad too long bt don't think it's a killer...I'm more worried ab being able to fudge the suit down around the waist a lil 2 lower the belt. It's way too high up. There seems to be alot of slack around the waist and legs of the proto where the suit is bunched up a bit and that look a way better to me. I wonder if the suit is glued to the body or is it free to push and pull around a tad.

And what do You think about his left hand?

DSC_0028.jpg

The sculpts seem to be fine on all their latest statues (IE: T-800, Red Sonja, MOS) but it's the paint apps that fail IMO.... so then it becomes a question if the statue is worth spending another $150+ on to have the face repainted in order to get the prototype look.

BTW, the work that guy did on ScarJo is sick....

Yes hand is definitely in a different position. Cut it off and reattach it wherever we want lmao

I got mine in. Just a couple points:

1. I know it's minor, but there was no QC sticker on the styrofoam and no Sideshow logo to indicate the top or bottom of the styrofoam. Opened up mine upside down.
2. He's EXTREMELY light. I was actually shocked that it was that light. It's probably as heavy, if not lighter, than the J Scott Campbell Gwen Stacy statue
3. Tissue paper was stuck to the suit. I thought it damaged it but all the markings came off with a bit of water. My base has a few paint imperfections and scratches, not sure if this was intentional
4. I had a hard time lining up the the statue into the slots. I felt like I was going to break it, didn't look like they lined up at all at first.

All in all, I'm satisfied. Sculpt looks bang on in my opinion, and the suit doesn't feel cheap and doesn't look like pyjamas.

View attachment 142178

Hmmm, yea that's weird they would change the hand position. Also, whoever said the suit was a little looser or longer on the proto where you could futz it to bunch it up is right, based on this comparison picture.

I'm hoping you guys can just work the suit a bit and make it look that way.

1. I know it's minor, but there was no QC sticker on the styrofoam and no Sideshow logo to indicate the top or bottom of the styrofoam. Opened up mine upside down.
2. He's EXTREMELY light. I was actually shocked that it was that light. It's probably as heavy, if not lighter, than the J Scott Campbell Gwen Stacy statue
3. Tissue paper was stuck to the suit. I thought it damaged it but all the markings came off with a bit of water. My base has a few paint imperfections and scratches, not sure if this was intentional
4. I had a hard time lining up the the statue into the slots. I felt like I was going to break it, didn't look like they lined up at all at first.

All in all, I'm satisfied. Sculpt looks bang on in my opinion, and the suit doesn't feel cheap and doesn't look like pyjamas.

PICS!

As for futzing that belt line down, I tend to doubt that will work. The production suit looks a lot tighter, and the "S" is already a bit too low. The higher belt is not really distracting me too much personally, and I'd hate to tear the best aspect of the piece in an effort to 'fix' this element... Just my opinion.

Yes, it's very light. But because of this I felt confident in bending the legs slightly to get them in the pegs. On mine they didn't line up automatically, but went in fine when I pulled the legs apart a bit.

My base had a plastic ring around it but still it was covered with styrofoam flecks. I couple of blasts with compressed air fixed this.

View attachment 142178

I think it's almost a form of False advertising when we place our order based on the
Prototype Pics. Then Sideshow ships something that looks nothing like it. Head painted wrong.
Suit painted wrong and left hand wrong. I understand prototypes can differ from the Final version,
but should it be this much.

I think it's almost a form of False advertising when we place our order based on the
Prototype Pics. Then Sideshow ships something that looks nothing like it. Head painted wrong.
Suit painted wrong and left hand wrong. I understand prototypes can differ from the Final version,
but should it be this much.

I really don't think the argument holds. Based on the pic attached below, I'd say this is a success story for proto to production. Are there annoyances? No question. But are they more in number or severity compared to other examples? I really don't think so.

56image.jpg

It might be a fair suggestion, however, to approach Sideshow with the idea that maybe instead of producing a proto with paint apps that are clearly going to be untouchable at the factory, perhaps produce a paint master that is more realistic in terms of what will be delivered. After hundreds of PFs released by the company to date, surely they have a decent idea of what to expect...

I really don't think the argument holds. Based on the pic attached below, I'd say this is a success story for proto to production. Are there annoyances? No question. But are they more in number or severity compared to other examples? I really don't think so.

56image.jpg

It might be a fair suggestion, however, to approach Sideshow with the idea that maybe instead of producing a proto with paint apps that are clearly going to be untouchable at the factory, perhaps produce a paint master that is more realistic in terms of what will be delivered. After hundreds of PFs released by the company to date, surely they have a decent idea of what to expect...

Should we also complain that the suit fits better on the production figure than the prototype? Notice - it doesn't have the same wrinkles.

I actually like the wrinkles. It gives a more realistic look to how skin tight suits look.
I agree to an extent....esp if we need to try and futz suit any. Still no one has chimed in on if it's free from body or kinda attached or glued

Back