Sideshow Superman Man Of Steel Premium Format

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So what I indicate in these photos is correct then?

16783506072_82972dacd3_b.jpg

16597217770_ec231efd30_b.jpg

So what I indicate in these photos is correct then?

I did a bit more investigating, and it appears that the wire on his left side is similar to yours -- that is, the wire is not embedded. However, even if I spread out the cape on his right side, it does appear to be more secure. I haven't noticed any difficulties with posing due to this alone. All difficulties I find posing are due to insufficient wire strength.

This is one of my minor frustrations with the piece. If you recall, a second set of promotional shots of the prototype for this piece appeared several months after the first on the SSC site. The thinking at the time was that they had "accurized" the costume a bit, enhancing the reflective qualities of the material blend and using black instead of light blue/silver on the piping for a more screen accurate look. The other significant change in these proto #2 shots was an extremely dramatic treatment of the cape posing, showing the entire cape billowing behind him at shoulder level, etc. The fact that the production cape had nowhere near this level of pose-ability was another dropped ball at Sideshow. That they could have fixed this for pennies per figure during production is another.

Don't get me wrong, I still love the piece, and we're a creative bunch who can solve the issues should we with without too much brain toil. but then again, those proto #2 shots promised something. And at that point, we weren't looking at a "first draft" of the piece. Production decisions were clearing being made at this point. I'm not sure why after producing those shots, they would fail to prioritize giving the cape the properties advertised.

That said, build in any variety of minor support structure in you Besta display on which to drape the cape (say a , or rewire it to your own taste, etc and you can still get just about any look you want to achieve. If its doable, I'll fix the problem instead of the blame... but that does not full absolve SSC for what should never have been an issue in the first place.

Great point QGF. I agree totally. I did just get mine(thanks to your pics) and I am really liking it. But the cape does definitely not live up to what Sideshow had advertised....which is a bit frustrating. I have had recent issues with SS in regards to them not delivering what is advertised. It is frustrating and I really hope things change for the better. If they cant reproduce the same look with the production piece as what is in the prototype pictures then they should not be sending these out. Until we make a stand by not settling for this, things will never change. But bottom line....I still really like this piece.

So maybe I'm confused.... the wires... the wires on the edges of the cape.... they were, or were not, supposed to be embedded in the body/suit?

Was doing a bit of digging tonight through some old photos and found this one, so I thought I'd keep the thread alive.

What strikes me about this photo is that in natural light, the silver paint of the figure does quite a nice job at adding highlights to the body sculpt... in particular, the torso. Another example on how particular lighting offers various display looks for this piece. Inspired to take some more photos when I can find some time.

_DSC1239_2.jpg

If anyone is considering getting this, I got an email from SS, it says save over $75 with a code, and I think it expires tonight.

The code is MAN3TH38
I think that's a fair price, considering that it really is a nice figure.
Aside from PVC, my other nitpick is the price since I paid full price for it.
But still, I'm happy with it. its a really nice figure, and with the discount, I think that's a fair price.

If anyone is considering getting this, I got an email from SS, it says save over $75 with a code, and I think it expires tonight.

The code is MAN3TH38
I think that's a fair price, considering that it really is a nice figure.
Aside from PVC, my other nitpick is the price since I paid full price for it.
But still, I'm happy with it. its a really nice figure, and with the discount, I think that's a fair price.

That is a pretty good discount...I saw one one eBay that did not have any bids at $233...I guess the whole PVC controversy really has hurt this piece.

A dude on Facebook got an MOS free for purchasing a 100% better statue (Comic Supes). So I think Sideshow should just do that every time....give it away with a purchase of a better statue. They can give away the Reeve PF too. They'll definitely pull more customers in that way.

A dude on Facebook got an MOS free for purchasing a 100% better statue (Comic Supes). So I think Sideshow should just do that every time....give it away with a purchase of a better statue. They can give away the Reeve PF too. They'll definitely pull more customers in that way.

A free MOS PF? Or a 1/6 HT?

If it's indeed the PF, geez. Lol.

very nice! it really brought out the likeness in the sculpt! is that yours that he repainted?

I want to start on mine just have so many other projects going on it keeps getting put on the back burner

Not mine. Vicente sent those pics to me because I was considering.... Still on the fence I guess, but just to beat this point to death one more time :horse, I'm pretty happy with mine in its well lit space.

Out of the box, factory paint:
b23image.jpg

Last edited:
That looks really good. Brought out the likeness even more. One thing that is off though is the color of his eyes.
One of Superman's prominent feature is his blue eyes. Even Brandon Routh I think had to wear contacts to make his eyes blue.

Other than that. He did do a good job. Kinda tempted to repaint mine now.
How much does he charge?

That looks really good. Brought out the likeness even more. One thing that is off though is the color of his eyes.
One of Superman's prominent feature is his blue eyes. Even Brandon Routh I think had to wear contacts to make his eyes blue.

Other than that. He did do a good job. Kinda tempted to repaint mine now.
How much does he charge?

You know it's interesting, Vicente was adamant on this point, convinced that Cavill's eyes are green in person and were green in the movie. I couldn't disagree more. His eyes in my sight are blue with a fleck of brown in the left, and that's how they looked in the movie. No contacts as far as I could tell.

Here's an adjusted shot. Still on the fence...

344image.jpg

This particular one he's selling as a complete figure only, $500. So my read is that would be about $125 or so for the portrait repaint.

You know it's interesting, Vicente was adamant on this point, convinced that Cavill's eyes are green in person and were green in the movie. I couldn't disagree more. His eyes in my sight are blue with a fleck of brown in the left, and that's how they looked in the movie. No contacts as far as I could tell.

Here's an adjusted shot. Still on the fence...

344image.jpg

This particular one he's selling as a complete figure only, $500. So my read is that would be about $125 or so for the portrait repaint.

I agree with you. His eyes, at least in the movie is blue.
One key scene is right after the dream talk sequence with Zod, after he wakes up strapped to the bed thingie, they show a close up, and the camera is close to his face and his eyes are clearly blue.
Heck, the bluray cover below clearly shows its blue. In comics, art, magazines, etc...all portrayal of superman always has his eye color as blue.

Do you have his contact info in case I decide to have mine repainted?
I may do it myself if I decide to repaint mine, or I may just have him do it cause he succeeded in bringing out the likeness.

You know this makes perfect sense now.
One of my biggest surprise was to assume that Trevor, who is one of the best...or quite possibly...the best sculptor for sideshow, could be off on this sculpt.
But seeing this repaint, clearly, its sideshow's paintjob that does a disservice to Trevor's sculpt.
I'm not saying what he have now is crap, the paintjob is actually nice. But a superb paintjob clearly shows that Trevor was spot on.

ce8ea3441bd5544fbe1c454fcf014dbb_zpsmhhnzwd5.jpg

Back