Sideshow sent me a used Hot Toys figure...

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would return them without the over the top reaction and threats. As long as sideshow allows returns then someone down the line will receive the returned items. Are they supposed to lose money selling the returned figures as used? That would force them to increase the price for these figures to cover those losses. I see the same thing with camera equipment. People love "buying" multiple items to pick out the best copy and return the rest then complain that companies should never sell returns as new. Makes no sense. Now if something it legit defective then it's a different story but even then a return without the nerd rage threats would be the way to go.

I feel like you're missing the fact that this is already built into the pricing. You don't offer free returns without figuring that into your pricing. Also you have to think about how many parts they send out for a big release. Either HT sends them bins and bins of parts or they're opening new figures and sending the parts out. All of this is factored into their pricing already.

No matter what they should not be selling used figures as new, that's absurd. They should just sell them at a discount, or sell them to retailers if they don't want to offer themselves for whatever reason. The last thing they should do is ship out returned figures with no inspection.

Same thing happened to me last year with Sideshow when I pre-ordered the Iron Man MKIV w/Suit-up Gantry. I received the item in a random non-shipper box with questionable padding and the figure inside had none of the usual plastic wrappings. One of the hands was also crushed into the Styrofoam though luckily not damaged. Since I had never seen a new version of the figure, I had no idea if anything was even missing from the box. I called up Sideshow and complained and they begrudgingly agreed to replace it with a new one. The crazy thing is that they had loads of new ones at the time (the item is on "waitlist" a year later) and they somehow decided to send me a used one.

I argued with them that we are paying for new figures, not open-box items. And if they are selling open box items, they should be at discounted rates. They insisted that they can rightfully sell us open-box items as "new" items. It's really poor business practice and I wish they would just stop it.

Same thing happened to me last year with Sideshow when I pre-ordered the Iron Man MKIV w/Suit-up Gantry. I received the item in a random non-shipper box with questionable padding and the figure inside had none of the usual plastic wrappings. One of the hands was also crushed into the Styrofoam though luckily not damaged. Since I had never seen a new version of the figure, I had no idea if anything was even missing from the box. I called up Sideshow and complained and they begrudgingly agreed to replace it with a new one. The crazy thing is that they had loads of new ones at the time (the item is on "waitlist" a year later) and they somehow decided to send me a used one.

I argued with them that we are paying for new figures, not open-box items. And if they are selling open box items, they should be at discounted rates. They insisted that they can rightfully sell us open-box items as "new" items. It's really poor business practice and I wish they would just stop it.

I'm surprised they dont sell discounted returned figures. Half the time when someone complains about a damaged figure i can only see it in macro photography with bright light.

I had the same problem. Came in odd shipping box which isn’t usually what I receive my HT figures it. The figure itself didn’t look like it was removed and and had all the foam between the joints and such. Did it look like this? 7B480734-E47A-477C-B715-2A3150FBCE05.jpg

I had the same problem. Came in odd shipping box which isn’t usually what I receive my HT figures it. The figure itself didn’t look like it was removed and and had all the foam between the joints and such. Did it look like this?

The biggest crime with that is the use of Comic Sans on the sticker.

We know this hobby is filled with weirdos when return items for all kinds of ridiculous reasons. As long as sideshow has that generous return policy in place some down line will end up getting a figure that was returned by someone who returned it. The problem is the most vocal complainers are probably the ones who abuse Sideshow's return policy the most.

I had the same problem. Came in odd shipping box which isn?t usually what I receive my HT figures it. The figure itself didn?t look like it was removed and and had all the foam between the joints and such. Did it look like this? View attachment 471378

I had the Movie Promo Spider-Man come to me like this after a bit of confusion (my waitlist converted, but they sent me the Spider-Punk on accident). The thing that stood out to me was that the Sideshow Exclusive sticker wasn't on the art box, it had the sticker that comes with figures straight from HotToys in HK. Like yours, it was brand new and untouched with all the foam inserts in the right places. The seal sticker at the top of the box looked like it was applied twice, maybe they open some of these for random inspection?

This just happened to me with a TLJ Crait Luke. I called SS and was told that the shipping boxes the figure came in were damaged so they had to inspect it before sending it out to me. The figure was in like new condition. All of the plastic coverings were there on the head and hands. The only thing odd other than the shipping box was that the plastic bag that is usually taped around the box was open and loose.

There are so many picky people in this hobby that I imagine SSC gets hundreds of returned items. But I do agree they should not sell open-box figures as "New" condition and that they should be marked at a slightly discounted rate on their website -- or maybe offered with free shipping and/or some extra reward points, if anything. I can't say for sure, but I assume this sales method would benefit SSC as well, considering the shipping costs they need to cover for returns and replacements.

Safest thing to do for now (finances permitting) is to pay in full or change your settings immediately from Flex Pay to "Single Payment" if you get notification that the figure is shipping soon. If a figure starts shipping in January, but your flex payments go all the way till May or something, there is a higher chance you may possibly receive a re-packaged figure. And in the event you receive a re-packaged figure in May, and the figure ends up being "Waitlist Full" or "Sold Out" status, the chances of returning it and receiving a brand new one to your liking may be very slim in my opinion.

You're right - they'd probably sell even more figures if they were "open box" items with small discounts. I personally don't care if it's used or not (unless if I'm paying for and expecting a new item) and would gladly pay a little less for an open box figure.

Isn't there a video of someone licking and sucking on figures, then re-boxing them to return. :rotfl

I think I just got a used figure. HT Iron Spider, box looks like is was opened and re-taped.

Back