Sideshow Rhino Comiquette - Link to Regular in 1st post.

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, they should just tell us as is. Nothing to hide right? I don't see the reason to not do it. Just tell us how they are made and what they plan to do in the upcoming statues. I mean I do want to know what I buying. Is that so hard? I mean if I buy a orange I do have the right to choose and know of it's organic or not. Same with these. I can decide on what quality I think they are and have the option to choose.

You're buying a statue, that's it end of story. You're not buying a pile of polystone or fiberglass, you're buying a statue. A statue could be made of anything and it'll still be a statue to me. Obviously cost factors into our decision whether to buy something or not. If Rhino cost $6400 and was made out of pure bronze and painted over gray would I buy it? nope. If it's made out of Polystone or a combo of polystone and fiberglass and they cost relatively same, but is less prone to breaking in shipping would I buy that instead? Absolutely.

The end game is, they are probably moving to this new manufacturing method to test if it'll reduce the amount of returns for breakage they've experienced in the past. In the long run we may end up paying less as they lose less money in paying for returns or exchanges.

Then return it for false advertising and be done with it, and you can put in your reason that you want solid polystone statues not hollowed out and made of fully filled soild polystone weighing at least 50lbs for a statue of this size in the future, and how much this is unacceptable to you. Also for the good of statue collector kind put in a P.S. in your message of "Juggernaut better be massive enough to weigh at least 150lbs of pure polystone"

Now fiberglass??? There is no way that SS changed production methods to fiberglass for the benefit of the collector in mind>:cuckoo: For those who are painfully convincing themselves as such, is frankly pathetic.

Stronger construction, lighter, save on shipping & price??? Nothing rational supports these claims. If this claims were true, we would not see a huge hike in pricing, while cheapening the product. Besides, if there were ANY benefits for clients, any company would gladly point that out, & market the "new improved concept vigorously", as SS did with the polystone concept years ago (justifiably so).

Instead, they still claim the sculpt is polystone, with totally wrong weight values?! False claims all. I've collected true polystone quality for years now, & I have not noticed ANY weakening or degradation of ANY of my statues. Have you?

The worst part of this fiasco is that we have fellow collectors actually speculating, & convincing themselves that these changes were meant to improve quality, save them money, & improve their collecting experience!!!???:slap:cuckoo: No wonder Sideshow completely ignores our questions & concerns, justifies poor QC issues, issues pathetic & insulting "refund" remedies, when they have a client base that is totally deluded.:slap:cuckoo::thud:

And yes, I have this on order, think it"s a great sculpt, but it does not mean that I will justify all this BS just because I want the statue.:cuckoo:.................... Neither should you!

Now fiberglass??? There is no way that SS changed production methods to fiberglass for the benefit of the collector in mind>:cuckoo: For those who are painfully convincing themselves as such, is frankly pathetic.

Stronger construction, lighter, save on shipping & price??? Nothing rational supports these claims. If this claims were true, we would not see a huge hike in pricing, while cheapening the product. Besides, if there were ANY benefits for clients, any company would gladly point that out, & market the "new improved concept vigorously", as SS did with the polystone concept years ago (justifiably so).

Instead, they still claim the sculpt is polystone, with totally wrong weight values?! False claims all. I've collected true polystone quality for years now, & I have not noticed ANY weakening or degradation of ANY of my statues. Have you?

The worst part of this fiasco is that we have fellow collectors actually speculating, & convincing themselves that these changes were meant to improve quality, save them money, & improve their collecting experience!!!???:slap:cuckoo: No wonder Sideshow completely ignores our questions & concerns, justifies poor QC issues, issues pathetic & insulting "refund" remedies, when they have a client base that is totally deluded.:slap:cuckoo::thud:

And yes, I have this on order, think it"s a great sculpt, but it does not mean that I will justify all this BS just because I want the statue.:cuckoo:.................... Neither should you!

:goodpost::exactly: Give this man a prize! Absolutely correct! I couldn't have said it better myself!

asked to have my 20 credit applied to an item getting ready to ship that was flex pay

well the great cs could not even grant a unhappy customer that...
item shipped

nothing else on order
may be that way for a long time :monkey2:monkey2:monkey2

Then return it for false advertising and be done with it, and you can put in your reason that you want solid polystone statues not hollowed out and made of fully filled soild polystone weighing at least 50lbs for a statue of this size in the future, and how much this is unacceptable to you. Also for the good of statue collector kind put in a P.S. in your message of "Juggernaut better be massive enough to weigh at least 150lbs of pure polystone"

Action, your reaction is big part of the problem. You claim SS guilty of false advertising, & yet justify them doing a 180 degree regarding production value/methods?!:cuckoo: I have collected every one of the Spidey/villain line so far, which are all high quality works of art, & Rhino is a key classic figure, which makes him a must for this line. But you suggest we collectors 'lump it or leave it' because Sideshow pulled a fast one without warning?:slap

Along with insulting SS excuses regarding QC issues, & self serving $20.00 vouchers for in stock items, goes beyond false advertising, & is more akin to robbery, assault, & battery.

And no, I don't need a statue to weigh a ton, or stop a bullet, to make it viable. But this statue is an extreme change from the former high quality norm, & with all the reported problems, does not justify price nor Sideshow's stance.

Buddy, all I can say is that you have either been missing in action for too long, or you've been sniffing them fiberglass fumes for way too long. Have a nice self delusional, psychedelic day.:wave

You're buying a statue, that's it end of story. You're not buying a pile of polystone or fiberglass, you're buying a statue. A statue could be made of anything and it'll still be a statue to me. Obviously cost factors into our decision whether to buy something or not. If Rhino cost $6400 and was made out of pure bronze and painted over gray would I buy it? nope. If it's made out of Polystone or a combo of polystone and fiberglass and they cost relatively same, but is less prone to breaking in shipping would I buy that instead? Absolutely.

The end game is, they are probably moving to this new manufacturing method to test if it'll reduce the amount of returns for breakage they've experienced in the past. In the long run we may end up paying less as they lose less money in paying for returns or exchanges.

Ok if SS can save me money and charge less. I'm all in :) but I have not seen any saving yet? I even see PF going up to 375.00 to 400.00 now. Also seen is the exchange policy become like a lron brick. But really if SS can pass over the savings I will be ok with it. So that would mean the next big guys will be 350 instead of 400.00. I still think I'm dreaming.... If the saving show up, I will not complain at all.

Ok if SS can save me money and charge less. I'm all in :) but I have not seen any saving yet? I even see PF going up to 375.00 to 400.00 now. Also seen is the exchange policy become like a lron brick. But really if SS can pass over the savings I will be ok with it. So that would mean the next big guys will be 350 instead of 400.00. I still think I'm dreaming.... If the saving show up, I will not complain at all.

as in any new tech, costs will go down when the R&D costs have been made up

EVERYTHING is moving toward composite materials. This is because they are lighter and stronger than other previously used materials. Should art not benefit from advances in technology?

as in any new tech, costs will go down when the R&D costs have been made up

I'm not worried about this discussion about weight and how thin the statue is, but honestly I can't really see costs go down, not for us customers at least.

Phew, I have read another long thread regarding a problem item!

This really gives me pause about ordering the Conan Dio if it is going to be a large Fiberglass figure with a poly/vinyl skin.

Sorry, but fiberglass is an inferior product that gets brittle over time and can develop weak spots. You dont get those issues with stone, which is just one reason why it is SOOOO much cheaper to use.

I really cant believe that some are stating the price is in regards to R & D when fiberglass has been around for ages, or that composit materials are this great benefit to the art world, while ignoring that the statues are becoming close cousins to their plastic action figure counter parts...

This discussion has been enlightening, and probably saved me $500 on a thin polyester dio.

xYx, thank you for the photos of your smashed Rhino, that was much thinner than I imagined... :horror

This really gives me pause about ordering the Conan Dio if it is going to be a large Fiberglass figure with a poly/vinyl skin.

Sorry, but fiberglass is an inferior product that gets brittle over time and can develop weak spots. You dont get those issues with stone, which is just one reason why it is SOOOO much cheaper to use.

I really cant believe that some are stating the price is in regards to R & D when fiberglass has been around for ages, or that composit materials are this great benefit to the art world, while ignoring that the statues are becoming close cousins to their plastic action figure counter parts...

This discussion has been enlightening, and probably saved me $500 on a thin polyester dio.

xYx, thank you for the photos of your smashed Rhino, that was much thinner than I imagined... :horror

That is a good point Tbolt. Hadn't thought of it that way.

I'm not worried about this discussion about weight and how thin the statue is, but honestly I can't really see costs go down, not for us customers at least.

Exactly. This is being done to skimp on materials and add $$$ to SSC's bottom line. We get charged premium prices for eggshell statues. There is no cost savings to the customer. We will never see prices drop. It looks like eggshell pieces are here to stay. I wonder how long it'll take before they come up with a process to make their eggshell pieces even thinner? This of course, is all being done to save SSC customers on shipping costs.

No doubt we will have collectors here saying how strong & well made those pieces are as well, when that time eventually comes. The funny thing is, SSC themselves remain fairly quiet on the topic. I wonder why? I guess they have an unlimited amount of $20 gift cards (that no one will use) to instock items that nobody wants.

If hulk is 40 pounds as advertised he shouldn't come in at less than half. If rhino isn't polystone, dont list it as polystone. Whatever you may think of the end result, people make purchases based on this info whereas they may not if it was actually accurate. Its called bait and switch.

If hulk is 40 pounds as advertised he shouldn't come in at less than half. If rhino isn't polystone, dont list it as polystone. Whatever you may think of the end result, people make purchases based on this info whereas they may not if it was actually accurate. Its called bait and switch.

These are all true facts that can't be denied. Very well said Bodie.

At the thickness Rhinos cast is at, would you rather it be fiberglass with a polystone coating or pure polystone? I know which one I would choose....

And everything breaks down over time, including polystone. Point is your not going to have to worry about, nor will your kids or their kids, etc......

Did Sideshow screw up and lie about a lot of things here? No doubt. From the composition of this piece, to the weight, customer service, to the $20 Gift card insult. But it is, what it is...they are a business, not family or friend. And it will come back on them eventually. You can't do this to customers and think nothing is going to come from it. It will hurt them in some form or another.

Last edited:
At the thickness Rhinos cast is at, would you rather it be fiberglass with a polystone coating or pure polystone? I know which one I would choose....

And everything breaks down over time, including polystone. Point is your not going to have to worry about, nor will your kids or their kids, etc......

Did Sideshow screw up and lie about a lot of things here? No doubt. From the composition of this piece, to the weight, customer service, to the $20 Gift card insult. But it is, what it is...they are a business, not family or friend. And it will come back on them eventually. You can't do this to customers and think nothing is going to come from it. It will hurt them in some form or another.

Fiberglass is a cheap base for the statue, and IMO should not be employed at this price point. I disagree with your assertion that there is nothing to worry about as we'll. if I were settled and not overseas with the Army, and my featherweight Rhino had a permanent spot guaranteed not to be bothered maybe I could get away with it, but at some point these things have to go back in the box to get shipped to the next duty station. This poly veneer application is much more likely to be unforgiving. I guess I am more stunned than anything seeing xYx thin, hollow, busted piece.

I am not even arguing the point, I am thankful for this information, because it allows me to make better buying decisions with that in mind.

Last edited:
So you still believe everything on Sideshow's site, you're not new here aren't you? :monkey3:lol

photo_zps6545b491.jpg

so is there anything polystone about this piece at all? that looks like pure fiberglass.
can you send this back for a full refund JUST because of the weight and materials? feels like a bait n switch almost

Fiberglass is a cheap base for the statue, and IMO should not be employed at this price point. I disagree with your assertion that there is nothing to worry about as we'll. if I were settled and not overseas with the Army, and my featherweight Rhino had a permanent spot guaranteed not to be bothered maybe I could get away with it, but at some point these things have to go back in the box to get shipped to the next duty station. This poly veneer application is much more likely to be unforgiving. I guess I am more stunned than anything seeing xYx thin, hollow, busted piece.

I am it even arguing the point, I am thankful for this information, because it allows me to make better buying decisions with that in mind.

Fiberglass is cheaper monetarily, but as far as strength is concerned, it's stronger than just polystone of the same thickness. I have seen many pure polystone statues show up broken in shipping so I don't see your point of handling the piece numerous times. xYx pictues were illuminating as were his words about really having to crack it with a hammer to break it. I doubt pure polystone would have held up as well.

Fiberglass is cheaper monetarily, but as far as strength is concerned, it's stronger than just polystone of the same thickness. I have seen many pure polystone statues show up broken in shipping so I don't see your point of handling the piece numerous times. xYx pictues were illuminating as were his words about really having to crack it with a hammer to break it. I doubt pure polystone would have held up as well.

Look at the pool of resin in Rhino's foot. If you don't evenly apply the resin, you will get soft spots and brittle areas. How well you can do this in a small mold with multiple bends...well, that's why they are saying the cracks are normal.

Look at the pool of resin in Rhino's foot. If you don't evenly apply the resin, you will get soft spots and brittle areas. How well you can do this in a small mold with multiple bends...well, that's why they are saying the cracks are normal.

Polystone statues are not uniform in thickness either. They have thin, brittle spots as well. Go back and look at all the polystone statues threads with people complaining about them being thin in spots.

So I go back to my point...fiberglass is stronger than much thicker polystone.

Back