Statue Sideshow New Batman Premium Format Statue

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's currently 40+ different Batman (only) items up on SS's site not including items that have already sold out, this is just one of them.

I think the concern is that a lot of collectors want 1/4 fully sculpted (sans cape) pieces in either classic or modern. No Sideshowified pieces etc.

I generally collect movie and Arkham pieces. So it doesn't bother me too much.

At last count I had 8 Batman statues with another 1/3 on preorder.

I think the concern is that a lot of collectors what 1/4 fully sculpted (sans cape) pieces in either classic or modern. No Sideshowified pieces etc.

I generally collect movie and Arkham pieces. So it doesn't bother me too much.

At last count I had 8 Batman statues with another 1/3 on preorder.

I understand that but it's already been done.

If SS kept doing the "classic" look and little else people would complain still... Depending on when you enter this hobby one might miss out on what they're after directly from the source and will have to peruse it on the secondary market, otherwise it's just a waiting game. The real question is how long can you wait.

I understand that but it's already been done.

If SS kept doing the "classic" look and little else people would complain still... Depending on when you enter this hobby one might miss out on what they're after directly from the source and will have to peruse it on the secondary market, otherwise it's just a waiting game. The real question is how long can you wait.

I'm just curious, but has there been a fully sculpted 1/4 Batman in modern or classic that has been well received?

There are a s*** ton of Batman options available, and how its received on this form at the end of the day really means nothing because it is a small fraction of the whole. It really comes down to how it's received by you.

There's currently 40+ different Batman (only) items up on SS's site not including items that have already sold out, this is just one of them.

I was talking about things that Sideshow themselves make, not all of that other stuff from other companies, a lot of it which is not in any way any kind of competition for Sideshow considering its size/cost.

Take the 2 PF’s they made of Batman years back; the black version and the blue. Sideshow should always have a statue that looks like those in stock and available for people to buy. They’re safe, they’re familiar, they’re always going to be of interest to people in the hobby. Sell one for a long time and inevitably you refresh it with the same costume, but different design. The whole “we need to think about edition sizes and collectors resale value” mindset should mean NOTHING to them.

Make statues people will buy. Period.

I was talking about things that Sideshow themselves make, not all of that other stuff from other companies, a lot of it which is not in any way any kind of competition for Sideshow considering its size/cost.

Take the 2 PF’s they made of Batman years back; the black version and the blue. Sideshow should always have a statue that looks like those in stock and available for people to buy. They’re safe, they’re familiar, they’re always going to be of interest to people in the hobby. Sell one for a long time and inevitably you refresh it with the same costume, but different design. The whole “we need to think about edition sizes and collectors resale value” mindset should mean NOTHING to them.

Make statues people will buy. Period.

It 'may' not mean much to Sideshow, but it certainly matters to a whole lot of collectors. It doesn't to me, as any piece I buy I've already accepted it as potentially a 100% loss. And it also sounds like it doesn't mean much to you either. But at the end of the day this view will be in the extreme minority.

There are a s*** ton of Batman options available, and how its received on this form at the end of the day really means nothing because it is a small fraction of the whole. It really comes down to how it's received by you.

Yes I know. I myself have probably way overfilled my quota of Batman pieces in my collection.

And I do understand that the 2 forums supposedly only represent a small percentage of Sideshows customers.

Maybe I should've been more specific in my query, and yes this particular Batman piece is not to my liking, not that that really matters.

Look I'm not really one to get into all the never ending back and forths about opinions on statues, ES size, etc, all that stuff. To me they're just statues of comic book characters (really expensive ones at that) and if you like them/can afford them then buy them and if not, don't. It's nothing important.

But something I don't really get about Sideshow's decisions on statues is (to me at least) if you're going to be in this market that CLEARLY is catering to people who are more than casual fans of comic book characters, you should always, 100% of the time have the big name, high profile characters in some kind of rotation of statues that you know will sell well.

I mean I just don't really get why there isn't ALWAYS some comparable, close-to classic versions of Batman/Superman/Wonder Woman/Captain America/Iron Man/Thor available to buy. You can't tell me that doing something like that wouldn't be more profitable/worthwhile to them than what they're doing now with a lot of the production decisions that they make. Those are obviously the "gateway" characters into a hobby like this for so, so many people and it's just weird to me that they don't feel compelled to always have a version of these characters available that would be a safe, standard looking version that would appeal to the most people.

From what I’ve seen especially on the FB groups most collectors now are not comic readers and they only know the characters from movies and cartoons. Sideshow can’t even sell the 500 exclusive Lex Luthor statue but sold through all the classic Superman pf. A lot of collectors buy on hype. I doubt most that bought Red Sonja and Captain Marvel read or own comics of them.

From what I’ve seen especially on the FB groups most collectors now are not comic readers and they only know the characters from movies and cartoons. Sideshow can’t even sell the 500 exclusive Lex Luthor statue but sold through all the classic Superman pf. A lot of collectors buy on hype. I doubt most that bought Red Sonja and Captain Marvel read or own comics of them.

That's my understanding as well.

Heck a lot of the so called comic book readers haven't picked up an issue in the past two decades (if not longer). Many are living off their nostalgia of how the characters looked 30 plus years ago.

But unfortunately nostalgia doesn't always sell.

So many times I am baffled by people's complaints of an artist's single representation of a character. But than I remind myself this every time I read these forums. I came into this hobby as someone who buys and reads so many comics every week. I love the books.

I see the same characters interpreted by different artists from book to book on a weekly to monthly basis. Hell, sometimes the same character is drawn significantly different in two books released on the same week! A variation in a character's design is nothing new to me, but not to the people who frequent this hobby. They have "Their" Batman forever ingrained in their memory and there is no changing that.

I'm not sure their even 20 year lapsed readers. In the 90's Kelley Jones drew Batman radically different than Graham Nolan week to week. Hunch back and all. I'll never forget when I first saw Mcfarlane's Batman.

Just look at the Batman Black and White line what a great example!

I feel most people are from Movies / TV with a general love of statues and have very little exposure to the frequency of comics with such a long never ending tape of artistic interpretation.

So many times I am baffled by people's complaints of an artist's single representation of a character. But than I remind myself this every time I read these forums. I came into this hobby as someone who buys and reads so many comics every week. I love the books.

I see the same characters interpreted by different artists from book to book on a weekly to monthly basis. Hell, sometimes the same character is drawn significantly different in two books released on the same week! A variation in a character's design is nothing new to me, but not to the people who frequent this hobby. They have "Their" Batman forever ingrained in their memory and there is no changing that.

I'm not sure their even 20 year lapsed readers. In the 90's Kelley Jones drew Batman radically different than Graham Nolan week to week. Hunch back and all. I'll never forget when I first saw Mcfarlane's Batman.

Just look at the Batman Black and White line what a great example!

I feel most people are from Movies / TV with a general love of statues and have very little exposure to the frequency of comics with such a long never ending tape of artistic interpretation.

Honestly I haven't read a DC Comic since the the beginning of the New 52.

But because of the Marvel Unlimited app, it's enabled me to catch up and read at my leisure, without having to spend the $50 a month like I did in the early 2000s.

I really wish DC had a similar app. But theirs is way too expensive.

So now they're making Batman a butt hurt hero, boohoo I dont wanna wear that suit anymore blah blah... WTF DC, is there nothing you cant F up?! I like the previous suits better but the reason is absurd. And King is a ****** after what he pulled with #50.

It's kind of funny that their explaining of him going back to his Hush-era costume is "he no longer wants to wear the costume [he] wore when he was with Catwoman" yet in the Hush story.....he's with Catwoman.

It's kind of funny that their explaining of him going back to his Hush-era costume is "he no longer wants to wear the costume [he] wore when he was with Catwoman" yet in the Hush story.....he's with Catwoman.

I don't care what the reason is....getting him back in his classic duds is all that matters to me. The quicker we can get away from the atrocious New 52 and Rebirth costumes, the better.

So now they're making Batman a butt hurt hero, boohoo I dont wanna wear that suit anymore blah blah... WTF DC, is nothing you cant F up?! I like the previous suits better but the reason is absurd. And King is a ****** after what he pulled with #50.

To be fair he said from the start they might not go through with it. The blame lies more with DC for hyping it up for something it wasn’t.

Back