Sideshow Making 20"+ Movie Optimus Prime Maquette

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I thinks the Optimus Leader class from ROTF is great!
I know that isn´t %100 accurat, but I love it, and with some repaint and patience looks terrific!

ToyFairLeader-Optimus-Prime-(Robot).jpg

Sorry sideshow, but I will keep all my autobots from hasbro.

You cant afford a Sideshow, say it !

I know this is still in progress and long from being finished but has a release date been set?

In one of the last production blog entries they said a TF piece would be revealed very soon.

Not sure what piece that is, or what qualifies as pretty soon, but here's the latest on Optimus.

10/26 Sideshow Q&A

When can we expect the Optimus Prime Maquette to be available for Pre-Order?

Optimus is currently in the ‘refinement’ stage; we’re still working through aspects of the digital model before we move forward with creating the physical prototype. We likely have a couple of months of development work left to do before the prototype will be completed. It’s possible that we’ll have Optimus available for a full reveal and pre-order within 2009, but it’s MORE likely to be early 2010.

It's really not too surprising, I'd wager Optimus may be one of the most complex pieces Sideshow's ever tackled, and I know all the time and thought put into how to make him will be worth it.

I'm just crossing fingers it's a clean maquette, I want him to look pristine and new, I don't want any battle damage of any kind, of course if it was BD it would make it easy to pass and save the money :lol

$40 + whatever it costs you to get it custom painted.

Which can be a LOT as the bigger names in TF customising have some misguided, egotistical belief that they are artists on the level of a Michaelangelo or Van Gogh so they charge outrageous amounts............$150 plus shipping for a basic repaint of a Deluxe Class mold was one quote I got.

More fool the people who pay it I say.

Last edited:
Any news on if others will be made?

My friend is into Transformers - he's getting Optimus for sure - and got me into it enough that the movie version Bumblebee might be a buy for me.

Any news on if others will be made?

My friend is into Transformers - he's getting Optimus for sure - and got me into it enough that the movie version Bumblebee might be a buy for me.

Heard rumors that we'll at least be getting Bumblebee and Megatron, and maybe Starscream.

I'm betting that we will see more main characters in maquette form, and perhaps a few dios.

I'm thinking a lot will ride on Optimus, how much it costs for him, how much it takes away from other projects to produce a piece like that, how well it sells. My guess is, they'll start with maquettes and see how that goes and develop some dios and maybe stick to that if the maquette path doesn't work out. I have a feeling Optimus' price is going to cause a lot of passing that fans don't really want to do, but with the complexity of ILM's designs, I'm sure it's going to cost more than some more simpler character designs that have cost high hundreds to low thousands.

Bumblebee, yay!

Bumblebee would be it for me because of the price - if I had a lot of extra income, Optimus Prime would be neat to have, too. But the price point pretty much ensures that Bumblebee would be my only purchase.

Back