Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup, you can't have it both ways (unless you buy two). It's a choice between screen-accurate or prop-accurate. Right now I'm leaning towards screen-accurate.

Either way you would be screen accurate.

Brown: Harrison actual jacket
Blue: filming miniature

Perhaps you mean as you remember seeing it on screen.:nana:

Because Photoshop or any other tool has the capability to pick up original fabric colors when an entire scene has been shifted blue due to lighting. Learn how to color correct and use your tools, don't let that lack of understanding bend the facts.

Honestly, the more you repeat the Photoshop line, the more you're showing you don't understand how it works. It doesn't help the coat argument because everyone else can see the blue light without the need to color sample in Photoshop. And below that blue light, most people can see a brown coat.

Star Puffs is proving that the coat LOOKS blue, and that Photoshop sees it as blue too, not that the actual prop was blue. I think we all can agree that the prop was brown (or at least a warm grey like in the PMS swatches that someone posted).

You're right--the blue gels and lights are making it look blue. Therefore, we are all seeing blue.

Anyway, can't wait for the pre-order!

When the original negative was cleaned up and transferred digitally they also color corrected the original print thus allowing you to see the actual colors of most of the wardrobe and set surrounding.

What I saw in the cinema in 1980 was certainly not much different than what was released on DVD. It's nothing more than a myth when people insist that they saw one color over another. It's personal perception 30 years after the fact supported by miscolored action figures and art that was released after the movie all primarily based on photo stills of the 1980 film print.

This debate is as endless as who shot Kennedy. Live and let live each choose a color which is why sideshow provided both options let's all be happy that were at least getting the figure regardless of what jacket color we choose God bless happy new year
That's an apt comparison to Kennedy. :lol

Just get the brown coat and then tint your display lights blue. Now you have prop accurate and screen accurate. Problem solved. :)

Star Puffs is proving that the coat LOOKS blue, and that Photoshop sees it as blue too, not that the actual prop was blue. I think we all can agree that the prop was brown (or at least a warm grey like in the PMS swatches that someone posted).

You're right--the blue gels and lights are making it look blue. Therefore, we are all seeing blue.

Anyway, can't wait for the pre-order!

Exactly. Except possibly for Khev, every single person arguing for blue acknowledges the extant costume is brown. What is debated is what appeared on screen. I mean does anyone dispute the lightsabres actually consisted of wooden rods coming out of the hilt, instead of cylindrical, beams of light?

The fact the miniature was blue is extremely important. They may have discarded an actual blue coat at some point because it looked poorly under the light and filters they had selected. The brown actually looked the dark blue they seem to have originally wanted on film. The Miniature was simply kept the original blue because changing it was unnecessary given the conditions in which it would be seen.

Honestly, the more you repeat the Photoshop line, the more you're showing you don't understand how it works.

No, the more you dismiss the multiple examples I presented by simply waving it away and telling us all how superior you are, you just look immature. Of course you laughably claimed that you knew it was brown all the way back in 1980, so I guess you are convinced of your own legend. If you were like any actual person in 1980, your main thought was 'holy ***** Darth Vader is Luke's father'.

No, the more you dismiss the multiple examples I presented by simply waving it away and telling us all how superior you are, you just look immature. Of course you laughably claimed that you knew it was brown all the way back in 1980, so I guess you are convinced of your own legend. If you were like any actual person in 1980, your main thought was 'holy ***** Darth Vader is Luke's father'.

The point isn't that I'm superior (even if I clearly have a better grasp of Photoshop). The point isn't arguing that the prop is brown - everyone knows that. The point is the coat appears brown on screen and always has. The only time it has any blue tint is when the whole scene is tinted blue. But a blue light no more makes the coat blue than it does the snow blue or someone's face blue or fur blue. So instead of using Photoshop to pick blue out of the coat, you can use it to pick blue out of any part of those scenes - which makes it a pointless exercise .

With regards to having watched the source material multiple times, I'm only pointing out that each time I've watched it, what I see rings true to the previous memory. I had loads of those figures when I was a kid and I always wondered WTF was up with the blue Kenner coat - I knew it didn't match what I saw in the movie. Now with regards to Luke's Father… If you didn't know that BEFORE watching Empire, I don't know what to say about that.

Exactly. Except possibly for Khev, every single person arguing for blue acknowledges the extant costume is brown. What is debated is what appeared on screen. I mean does anyone dispute the lightsabres actually consisted of wooden rods coming out of the hilt, instead of cylindrical, beams of light?

The fact the miniature was blue is extremely important. They may have discarded an actual blue coat at some point because it looked poorly under the light and filters they had selected. The brown actually looked the dark blue they seem to have originally wanted on film. The Miniature was simply kept the original blue because changing it was unnecessary given the conditions in which it would be seen.

No, the more you dismiss the multiple examples I presented by simply waving it away and telling us all how superior you ajre, you just look immature. Of course you laughably claimed that you knew it was brown all the way back in 1980, so I guess you are convinced of your own legend. If you were like any actual person in 1980, your main thought was 'holy ***** Darth Vader is Luke's father'.

Dudes...........this is a figure....not real life. No reason for name calling. It's all good.

If the blue coat ends up being too bright, is there a way to tone it down?

Yeah, light sanding, tea baths, etc. can be used to tone down and and a bit of a weathered look to something. Just depends a bit on the material they end up using. But it can be fixed if it ends up to dark.

Gotcha. I
misunderstood the other poster. I thought he saw new photos,

When do you think the preorder will come up?

There are new shots....in the Sideshow preview gallery...they went up today...some are here in the thread too...

I am not a 'dude'. In fact it is rather ironic you make such a mistake when dismissing the perception of others. :lol

The point is the coat appears brown on screen and always has.

Except according to multiple people here, the screen-used miniature, and photo analysis software. But the fact you wrote than in bold totally convinces me now.

If you didn't know that BEFORE watching Empire, I don't know what to say about that.

attachment.php

I bet you knew before George Lucas.

Wow Starpuffs..........not sure how to respond. It was a general statement encompassing all parties in the brown vs blue debate.

No different than guys and gals standing around and someone says "ok guys". No offense meant.

Time to simply move on and forget the meaningless debate.

:lol I am not offended so much as I am laughing at the disconnect between your lofty claims of perception and reality.

You got called out after deriding people on the blue coat side in numerous posts, mocking our perception as a "myth". Don't pretend like you are somehow above it all suddenly when you get embarrassed by a gaffe (by the way I saw the "emotionally invested" barb before you deleted it).

Except according to multiple people here,

See my post earlier about evolution and the US population's beliefs.

the screen-used miniature,

Is almost colorless. And is relevant how when the actual coat worn in the 1:1 shots (which is the majority of screen time) is brown?

and photo analysis software.

And analyzing blue light that's cast over an entire scene makes what sense with respect to the garment color? The only thing proven by the analysis is that the coat in the scene is not actually blue, exactly the opposite of what you're trying to prove. I'm not sure why you choose to ignore the most relevant parts of what not only I, but others, have written. Grab a color sample of the snow. Of the gloves, of a scarf, whatever. Write to Sideshow and tell them to make them all blue too.

It's one thing to like, love, respect, fear, want, worship, whatever, blue. But honestly, you can drop the Photoshop stuff. And if you don't have a copy of ESB (or any SW) in HD, go out and grab them and get to watching.

Back