Sideshow Hoth Han Solo (Echo Base)

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ahh "corrected" colors. Not interested in corrected colors but actual colors.

I was agreeing with you. In that image (with the blue snow) you have to correct the white point to see the actual color of the material. Which is white for the snow and brown for the coat. ;)

Changing light doesn't change the color of a material, it changes only your perception of it - and different instruments/sensors/films will see something entirely different than your eye, but none of that changes the actual color of the original object.

It's fine to prefer one color over another, but there's no argument to be made about the color of the original garment, or Chewie's fur or the snow. ;) It's clear as day that they're always the color they're supposed to be, in every scene and in every photograph.

I like how even the exhibit has the two Kenner/Hasbro figures -- brown coat and blue coat.

I saw the actual jacket on display at Star Wars Celebration 4 in L.A in 2007. First time it's ever been shown in an exhibition.
Brown. Not Blue.
It looks more blue in the movie because they used a lot of blue filters (particularly in the special editions). All of the Hoth scenes have got a much more blue filter on them compared to the original.

Here is a photo that I took when I was standing 2 feet away from it. I used the flash on my camera.

Han-Hoth-Jacket-01_zpsc66c6a77.jpg

Yes, that was cool. If I remember correctly, there was a little plaque stating that finally - fans could see what colour Han's coat really was!

I like how even the exhibit has the two Kenner/Hasbro figures -- brown coat and blue coat.

Yes, that was cool. If I remember correctly, there was a little plaque stating that finally - fans could see what colour Han's coat really was!

Darklord Dave said something about the coat being on dispaly in various lighting so you could see how it turned blue depending on the lighting. I think he dreamt that part.

I may have posted this before - but at some Star Wars touring museum thing they had the actual coat in question in a display with the signage "Brown or Blue?" and depending on lighting you could say it was either color. Not the blue of the Kenner coat, but a much darker, browner blue.

I saw the actual jacket on display at Star Wars Celebration 4 in L.A in 2007. First time it's ever been shown in an exhibition.
Brown. Not Blue.
It looks more blue in the movie because they used a lot of blue filters (particularly in the special editions). All of the Hoth scenes have got a much more blue filter on them compared to the original.

Here is a photo that I took when I was standing 2 feet away from it. I used the flash on my camera.

Han-Hoth-Jacket-01_zpsc66c6a77.jpg

This is the display I was talking about - see they have the Kenner figures there and there's a plaque discussing the color. Even though it definitely is brown in a flash photo - in person you can see why it would be mistaken for blue depending on the lighting.

Considering that color is a visual phenomenon, I think eyes are probably the standard to go by. Incidentally, even though Chewbacca has a bluish tint, he still looks brown.

The colour sampling of those two photos comes out as black actually.

Wet dark blue fabric looks black. In fact, midnight is sometimes used in lieu of actual black on tuxedos due to the effect of light.

1. Basically nothing on screen ever looks like the prop colour and I wonder why people want something they never saw until the 1990's.

2. Kenner based its decision on both scenes where it demonstrably looks blue and other scenes where the black-ish colour is logically assumed to be a navy blue when dry.

Back