Sideshow Hobbit Products?

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anubis

Super Freak
Reaction score
I wasn't sure which thread to post this in, so I just thought i'd ask in a new thread:

Since all the other companies have been showing off their Hobbit merchandise, and Sideshow haven't, I was just wondering if there have been any murmurings about Sideshow having The Hobbit Licence? Or if they will be making anything from the films? :dunno

I don't think they will. Initially I thought they may have "lost out." But the more I think about the more I wonder if they didn't bother trying. They have too much other stuff going on, its a smaller market that is already pretty thick with competition.

Last edited:
It's not from a lack if trying I would bet my life on that but they just don't seem to have anything. As long as they keep making items for Lord Of The Rings that's ok by me.

It's not from a lack if trying I would bet my life on that but they just don't seem to have anything. As long as they keep making items for Lord Of The Rings that's ok by me.

Yeah I bet many are really totally cool with the situation as is and that's sort of my point. Maybe they sort of gauged that from their LOTR sales and felt they had other priorities.

That very well may be the case. I'd love to know the details of course but that kind of info doesn't get out.

It would be a shame if they don't make anything from the Hobbit.

I guess I just assumed they would do at least PFs or something, seeing as nobody else seems to be doing them.

Maybe we might hear something over the next few months.

I was wondering about that, as well. Seems odd they didn't get hold of a license for such a big property. But maybe the formats they wanted weren't available? Weta seems to have claimed the 1/6 statues format, which is the scale that seems to be Sideshow's most successful in their LOTR line right now.

Surprising we haven't heard about any Hobbit PFs, though. (Personally, I'd LOVE a Thorin PF!) But considering their sluggish LOTR PF release schedule, I've often wondered if maybe Sideshow's enthusiasm had cooled a bit for LOTR PFs. I suppose it's all about sales numbers in the end. Like it or not, LOTR has become more of a niche market, not selling anywhere near as quickly or in the numbers that Star Wars or Marvel pieces do these days.

Complete Idle Speculation Tangent: Here's something I've often wondered about ... do Sideshow and Weta get along as companies? I've always wondered if there was any bad blood following the break-up of their partnership and Weta's leap into the market as a stand-alone collectibles company. If so, maybe that could have something to do with their lack of a Hobbit license?

I have ZERO actual information on that, of course, just idle speculation. But since this is a fan forum, it's kinda where idle speculation belongs! :wink1:

I'm surprised Sideshow aren't doing PF's, but maybe they want to keep doing LOTR PF's for now, because if they did Hobbit stuff, their LOTR line would surely be dead.
Maybe they'll wait it out and do Hobbit stuff in the future after the movies have come and gone.

I don't think there's time for Hobbit PF's with the staggering pace of the Lord of the Rings PF line. :monkey3

I was wondering about that, as well. Seems odd they didn't get hold of a license for such a big property. But maybe the formats they wanted weren't available? Weta seems to have claimed the 1/6 statues format, which is the scale that seems to be Sideshow's most successful in their LOTR line right now.

Surprising we haven't heard about any Hobbit PFs, though. (Personally, I'd LOVE a Thorin PF!) But considering their sluggish LOTR PF release schedule, I've often wondered if maybe Sideshow's enthusiasm had cooled a bit for LOTR PFs. I suppose it's all about sales numbers in the end. Like it or not, LOTR has become more of a niche market, not selling anywhere near as quickly or in the numbers that Star Wars or Marvel pieces do these days.

Complete Idle Speculation Tangent: Here's something I've often wondered about ... do Sideshow and Weta get along as companies? I've always wondered if there was any bad blood following the break-up of their partnership and Weta's leap into the market as a stand-alone collectibles company. If so, maybe that could have something to do with their lack of a Hobbit license?

I have ZERO actual information on that, of course, just idle speculation. But since this is a fan forum, it's kinda where idle speculation belongs! :wink1:

I have wondered the same about Weta and SS. I agree some PFs would be cool and the lack of info suggests to me they dont have the license. Why would they not advertise it now to cut sales from Weta as a competitor. But since SS likes bad guy PFs expect them to focus there. They seem to shy away from short humanoids (hobbits and dwarves), Gandalf has already been done in PF form, and this leaves the bad guys. And for movie one we have a few more goblin/orc types and then the Goblin King which no normal person would want in PF form (that's like 32 inches of fat) :)

Over the next 3 years, Weta will reduce the number of new LotR collectibles they release because their focus will be on The Hobbit. Perhaps Sideshow wants to take this competition-free opportunity to cash in on those still hungering for LotR.

Back