Sideshow Frankenstein Review

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd rather drop $150 for updated Sideshow monsters than $250 for HT ones that marginally resemble the characters. :lol

In the UK SS are more expensive to buy than HT because they just seem to sell to Foribben Planet or Play.com, so I will always favour HT over SS. The new SS Boba Fett is £170 over here, £20 more expensive than the HT Superman, more than any HT DX.

In the UK SS are more expensive to buy than HT because they just seem to sell to Foribben Planet or Play.com, so I will always favour HT over SS. The new SS Boba Fett is £170 over here, £20 more expensive than the HT Superman, more than any HT DX.

How much is Boba ordered directly from the source?

My 2 Monsters...
DSCN4148.jpg

DSCN4149.jpg

My "Bride"version,IMHO the best Karloff sculpt they did.This guy is unmodified,other than tea-staining the jacket(a complete waste of time...)
DSCN4158.jpg

DSCN4160.jpg

This guy is on a "BigBoy" body, donated by my Kurgan figure.A taller, more robust Monster, in keeping with the source material(Strange was a BIG dude)...PS

I just picked up a silver screen version for $50, (dont know if this is a good price, but seemed fair to me), but am now looking for the original.

$50 sounds quite fair. Crazy how reasonable these figures cost at the time compared to new figures now, eh?

I've got the original SS Frankenstein and the Bride of Frankenstein Frankie. I also, years ago, got the Hasbro (?) Bride for a BoF set. Seriously, poor guy looked lonley, needed a funky-haired wife to complete his miserable life. ;) I KID!! However, I didn't care for the other SS Frank versions. Only Karloff. OK, unless you count my Young Frankenstein set. :)

(ps- I have an extra SS original Frankenstein that was in a storage box doing nothing, and I put it up for sale on the onesixthwarriors forum last night.)

Last edited:
My 2 Monsters...
DSCN4149.jpg

My "Bride"version,IMHO the best Karloff sculpt they did.This guy is unmodified,other than tea-staining the jacket(a complete waste of time...)

That looks good...might just have a look around for him. To go with the Bride I'm also on the lookout for.
Yeah, the outfits need replacing--even without the collars coming apart! Strange (not Glenn--I mean odd)--sometimes SS put out a fab outfit with the fig in question, and sometimes crummy.

Fantastic sculpt on this Frank, and the Bride is top too. Elsa's gorgeous, even under all that gunk.

Oh...by the way: Universal now owns the rights to the Karloff Frankenstein, Mummy, Mord (all all Universal flicks) likenesses. Sara Karloff sold the likeness rights for Universal films back to Universal. Which means she can still license her father as himself or other non Universal beasties....but Universal/Karloff monsters are now a single license.

The big stickler with estates is Lugosi Jr. I kinda guess he has every right to be though. Universal has pooped on his old man for nearly 100 years more or less.:lecture

If I ever get rid of my kids (no boomerangs), then I may open all my 12 SSC monsters. If that happens, the first thing I am gonna do is dye all those crud green jackets black.

^
Same!
Frankenstein's monster is one of my most favorite characters of all time.
The old 1/6 sideshow figures don't cut it for me though.(those wrists! ew!)
Would love to see him get the modern high end 1/6 treatment.
:goodpost:

I have the SSE version( I prefer those over the colored versions) and he is still in my top 3 favorite figures, even with his shortcomings. I feel like people in this hobby have forgotten that there are others reasons to love a figure/collectible other than having 100% accuracy.

As with Elder Pred2 this beauty has been on display since I got him on initial release.
fvcpjt.jpg

To go off topic i am a UK retailer and we have to buy from Sideshows UK distributor and with the 20% V.A.T we have to pay on top of the trade price it is not possible to compete with Sideshow direct. I am constantly battling with the UK distributors over price and it is getting better. Unfortunatly especialy with Hot Toys there are so many grey market options that the UK Sideshow/Hot Toys distributor does not get enough orders to realy be more competetive.
I personaly use my discount to offer Sideshow/Hot Toys at lower than the UK retail price to my shops customers. But it is impossible to be cheaper than the Honk Kong sellers on E-bay at this time.
I hope at some point Hot Toys will appoint a UK distributor so i dont have to go through Sideshows UK distributor.
To go back on topic i love this figure and all of Sideshow's Universal Monsters.The early Sideshow and Mcfarlane figures are the reason we have this hobby.I started stocking Sideshow because of this figure and have stocked there products ever since.Yes i'd love them to go back and redo this line using all the skills and technology they have now it would be an amazing line but i still think this figure looks great.

I have the SSE version( I prefer those over the colored versions) and he is still in my top 3 favorite figures, even with his shortcomings. I feel like people in this hobby have forgotten that there are others reasons to love a figure/collectible other than having 100% accuracy.
The head sculpt actually is quite nice.
Just the wrist pegs and crap clothing are what keep me from buying it.

All Sideshow's Frankenstein Monsters rock. You can't even buy a headsculpt for what these cost new.

Yes. The skin paint doesn't have pores like today's stuff, but it's aways well done and cool looking--easily good enough for 1/6. I love 'em.

I caved and bought a BOF Frankenstein's monster off of ebay.:lol
Watch....Tomorrow some company will announce that they're going to make a new/better 1/6 monster.:rotfl

Last edited:
the original as well as the silver screen edition are still at the top of my list of 1/6 favorites.

The head sculpt actually is quite nice.
Just the wrist pegs and crap clothing are what keep me from buying it.
Me too. That and the head sculpt is kinda generic in my opinion.

It looks OK, Better than most in fact, But if I'm paying up to $100 for it I'd like a better more realistic head sculpt and suit.

I still might get it someday if I can find one cheap enough but I'd really like it if HT made one.:)

Back