Sideshow 'Figure It Out'

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

photoshopmagician

Super Freak
Reaction score
Is it just me, or can you not read all the way down on some of the points because there is no scroll bar? It seems like the words kinda "dissolve" into blackness at the end.

Also, when they said you must use the 4 sec. segment, the one i downloaded was 10 seconds. Did anyone else notice this?

Yes, you can win up to $750 and a $250 Sideshow Gift Card for making a 60 second or less video.

The only thing I want to know is what music can we use, and if we can use movie stills, like if we wanted Star Wars clips since they have a Star Wars line.

Yes, you can win up to $750 and a $250 Sideshow Gift Card for making a 60 second or less video.

The only thing I want to know is what music can we use, and if we can use movie stills, like if we wanted Star Wars clips since they have a Star Wars line.

If I remember correctly, we can't use any copyright material, only Sideshow stuff. So my guess is that we can't use any clips from any movies (unless they are made by Sideshow) and we can't use any music (unless we make it ourselves).

Is it just me, or can you not read all the way down on some of the points because there is no scroll bar? It seems like the words kinda "dissolve" into blackness at the end.

Also, when they said you must use the 4 sec. segment, the one i downloaded was 10 seconds. Did anyone else notice this?

There are only 7 points on the 'rules' page, is that what you are referring to? It is cut off a little weird at the bottom. If that's not what you're talking about, it may be a browser issue, let us know!

Also, the download segment IS 10 seconds, sorry about the confusion. The text has been changed to 10 sec instead of 4. :duff

Additionally, I checked with our licensing guru and he said NO copyrighted material, other than photos of our website or use of our products (that means no Star Wars clips, music, etc). I'll make sure that the rules get updated ASAP (it will probably be added to number 4).

Plus, the purpose is to be creative and original, rather than regurgitating (spelling? :lol) previous movies/music.

Last edited:
What about customs? For example custom Dead zombie ornament figures?

Any of OUR figures (not manufactured by any other company), packaging, and/or photos from our website are totally useable. Rule #4 now has the addition:

"Music, images, movie clips, or other Intellectual Property assets that are under copyright by any entity other than Sideshow Collectibles may NOT be used in any way."

That means stuff made and copyrighted by us is free reign :) (but NOT stuff made and copyrighted by anyone else)

Last edited:
Any of OUR figures (not manufactured by any other company), packagins, and/or photos from our website are totally useable. Rule #4 now has the addition:

"Music, images, movie clips, or other Intellectual Property assets that are under copyright by any entity other than Sideshow Collectibles may NOT be used in any way."

That means stuff made and copyrighted by us is free reign :)

OK cool. Any chance we can get a FAQ thing for the contest? I'm sure I will come up with many more questions before I'm finished.

OK cool. Any chance we can get a FAQ thing for the contest? I'm sure I will come up with many more questions before I'm finished.

Just put any questions in this thread, and I'll do my best to answer them! If a bunch come in to Customer Service as well, we may find it necessary to do an FAQ. Mostly, feel free to do whatever strikes your fancy, as long as it fits in the rules! :duff

Just put any questions in this thread, and I'll do my best to answer them! If a bunch come in to Customer Service as well, we may find it necessary to do an FAQ. Mostly, feel free to do whatever strikes your fancy, as long as it fits in the rules! :duff

OK, I do have another question. From a marketing standpoint, I want to make a commerical that Sideshow wants. So are you guys thinking of this as more of promoting Sideshow in general and introducing Sideshow to people that haven't heard of Sideshow before, or are you looking for a piece to showcase the breadth and quality of products made by Sideshow. I know they might sound the same, but one could say when Sideshow was founded, who works for them, what they do, how great the customer service is, etc. The other could show the amazing products from 12" figures, to PF, to life Size Terminators, etc, etc.

Also, since this will be shown at SDCC, would a more visual presentation rather than dialogue driven be better? Comic-Con is noisey and unless they get Chris to stop talking for a minute, would there be speakers available to play the commercial. That is, I assume it will be shown on the TV screens at the booth and not just at the Panel (please tell me there will be another panel this year!).

Sorry if that sounds a forward, but I started watching Celebrity Apprentice and learned from Gene Simmons to ask what the company wants for its advertising rather than just assuming I know what you guys want. If you would rather PM me these answers (if you can answer them at all) please feel free to do so.

PS I got just wanted to let you know I got my Vampyre hat this week and love it. Thanks again for that! :D

OK, I do have another question. From a marketing standpoint, I want to make a commerical that Sideshow wants. So are you guys thinking of this as more of promoting Sideshow in general and introducing Sideshow to people that haven't heard of Sideshow before, or are you looking for a piece to showcase the breadth and quality of products made by Sideshow. I know they might sound the same, but one could say when Sideshow was founded, who works for them, what they do, how great the customer service is, etc. The other could show the amazing products from 12" figures, to PF, to life Size Terminators, etc, etc.

Also, since this will be shown at SDCC, would a more visual presentation rather than dialogue driven be better? Comic-Con is noisey and unless they get Chris to stop talking for a minute, would there be speakers available to play the commercial. That is, I assume it will be shown on the TV screens at the booth and not just at the Panel (please tell me there will be another panel this year!).

Sorry if that sounds a forward, but I started watching Celebrity Apprentice and learned from Gene Simmons to ask what the company wants for its advertising rather than just assuming I know what you guys want. If you would rather PM me these answers (if you can answer them at all) please feel free to do so.

These are questions that YOU must decide. We're not 100% sure WHAT we're looking for until we see it, that's what it's all about! Certainly we have ideas about our 'in-house' marketing, but we really want to see what those outside the company can come up with - a fresh perspective that maybe we haven't considered before.

As for heavy dialog, if it was me doing it, I would avoid too much dialog... think 'commercial' rather than short film, like something you'd see during the super bowl to grab your attention in what little time they have been given - can be just text flashes, snippets of dialog, provacative images, whatever you think would hit home the best in 60 seconds and make people WANT to 'Figure It Out!'

There's so much creativity out there that we don't want to limit the contestants in any way (other than the established rules). Do whatever YOU feel is best. And we may see it and be like, "WOW, now THAT is what we've been looking for, and we didn't even know it!" Or we may see it and be like, "Well, that was interesting, but doesn't quite hit home with us. But great effort!" The point is, we don't know until we judge all the entries after they come in!

In other words, don't think of it as an advertising 'assignment' - think of it as an open forum to show us what you got! You can also think of it like a band putting out a contest for someone to make their next video, set to a certain song... Sideshow is the band, our products and business are the song... go with whatever it makes YOU feel.

And remember, there are TWO opportunities to send in entries, in case you are indecisive about what you think is best ;)

Last edited:
Is there anything planned to do with "Figure It Out" more than just the commercial?

It makes me think that on the site there will be hidden stuff or some kind of activity to 'figure out' for involving people.

Is there anything planned to do with "Figure It Out" more than just the commercial?

It makes me think that on the site there will be hidden stuff or some kind of activity to 'figure out' for involving people.

Perhaps... it's quite possible a whole 'Figure It Out' campaign could be launched from this, depending on quality of entries, etc. We're totally open to anything right now, and figured this would be a great way to get even more participation in the Sideshow community! We'll see where it goes! :woo

Back