Sideshow collectibles and other 1/6 collectible website money saving tips and tricks

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam1138

Super Freak
Reaction score
With the 1/6 figure prices becoming increasingly inflated, I wondered if anyone would be good enough to share any tips on purchasing strategies to make the process less painful on all our wallets?

One question I would like to start with is at SSC can you use reward points and vouchers at the same time to use on a figure purchase?

If buying from Sideshow it's great to have a $20 code to use on pre-orders. Either that or points if you wish. Unfortunately they can't be combined though, so it's one or the other.

There's also the $25 codes that can be used for certain in-stock items. Either from pop-up ads, buying figures and receiving a code through email, or entering contests.

I've cut back in other areas to fortify my purchasing power in the one sixth space
Some items as example:
1)Starbucks cappuccinos
2)Premium gas
3)Sugary drinks
4)Deodorant and shave supplies
5) I shower twice a week instead of every day reduces excess water usage
6) I burn old candles for night lighting
7) I wait for my son to look away when we got eat and I steal pickles and fries off his kiddie plate instead of ordering my own entree

My wife thinks I've had a religious awakening based on this behavior but is curious why I've padlocked my closet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've cut back in other areas to fortify my purchasing power in the one sixth space
Some items as example:
1)Starbucks cappuccinos
2)Premium gas
3)Sugary drinks
7) I wait for my son to look away when we got eat and I steal pickles and fries off his kiddie plate instead of ordering my own entree

My wife thinks I've had a religious awakening based on this behavior but is curious why I've padlocked my closet.

:lol good one

Some items as example:
1)Starbucks cappuccinos
2)Premium gas
3)Sugary drinks

You do have a new God, it is called the Action Figure God. Praise the Lord

just buy less, and wait. allmost NEVER pre-order, just wait for noobies to have buyers remorse, and get them second-hand, usualy for cheaper.

All I can say is to hold off on preodering until you get a code. If the item starts shipping and goes to wait list, then pre-order, you will not be able to use a code at this point. If it's made by sideshow wait until it's in hand. Sometimes Sideshow sends these codes by email, usually for some holiday or another, these usually only apply for figures nobody wants.

You do have a new God, it is called the Action Figure God. Praise the Lord

Amen - praise the dark lord
1c23a51713d578c77e3f6f308bb99d6b.jpg

Food $200
Data $150
Rent $800
Figures $3,600
Utility $150
someone who is good at the economy please help me budget this. my family is dying

Learned one thing today, you have a one complimentary NDR transfer with Sideshow. I preordered K-2SO a while back and asked them it it was possible to transfert my $23 deposit to Hoth Leia instead. To my surprise, they said yes! You can only do this once though. So I ordered Hoth Leia with a $25 coupon, and they switched my $23 deposit from K-2SO as a discount on Hoth Leia. So after the $25 coupon, $22 deposit, and $23 deposit switch, she's now only $150!

My advice is pre-order the ones you couldn't live without (like the upcoming Hot Toys Jedi Luke). Wait for coupons or rebates for the others. Ebay doesn't seem to have real deals anymore. And waiting too long can be tricky, I am glad I didn't wait to get Stormtrooper Luke, and FO Stormtrooper Finn was gone in the wink of an eye and I missed it, along with old man Han.

Here's my tip: unless you are ordering Exclusives to Sideshow, NEVER EVER ORDER FROM SIDESHOW! They overcharge on shipping and charge full MSRP, all under the guise of giving you crap pennies on the dollar Reward Points. Check out other sites (such as BBTS -- often a bit high, or Timewalkertoys -- my personal favorite). Timewalker, for example, charges less than MSRP (I've seen anywhere from $1 - 20 less), and if any time you PO you select "combine this order with previously placed orders", they will hold your stuff until you accumulate $350 (not too hard in this day and age), don't charge you until items are on imminent arrival, and you get free shipping (you'll have to be patient, however, about receiving your stuff). All that Reward Points bulls$&t is just that; it's a marketing gimmick that gives people a false sense of savings, when in actuality you could have received better overall savings somewhere else, AND UP FRONT. The only positives to using Sideshow is you'll get your HT products slightly faster than other venders, and they have Flex Pay (other sites, such as Timewalker, have offered payment plans, too though).

I've found some local retailers that have loyalty points like Popcultcha. They also have certain sales through the year, like May the 4th. Some Oz companies also time sales to Black Friday. As mentioned above, some ebay sellers can offload figures at a reduced price as well. My 3 purchases this year were all below Oz rrp_
Imperial Probe Droid $350 ($252 US approx) @ Popcultcha May the 4th sale
Rey and BB-8 $300 ($216 US approx) @ ebay - Japanese seller - lucky find!
At-At Driver $250 ($180 US approx) @ Popcultcha - sale price + Popcultcha Pennies
Planning and discipline + making lunches and coffee at work means I can put a bit away every week. My family just give me cash for Birthdays and Christmas.
Good luck! Enjoy collecting.

Here's a $20 code I got with my Snowspeeder Luke since I won't be using it...
To help you buy your first figure from Sideshow: MAYSS17EZUSAVAV

I buy from them and BBTS, they have great customer service.

BEST ADVICE: the for sales section always has last months "it" figure for less, barely handled, by people itching for the "next thing".

QFT. Buying 2nd hand is a great way to save a few dollars. Most of these figures are barely used and it's easy to find stuff like new, shortly after release.

However, I've been buying all my figures locally. My local shop cuts me a slight deal and its better than paying sideshow's awful shipping prices. Even with coupons, pretty much any other retailer (local or online) will be cheaper than sideshow. decent deals can be had on ebay for new stuff as well. a lot of dealers sell at msrp or slightly lower with free shipping and usually no tax. put in ebay's weak 1% ebay bucks, usually 1% cash back thru ebates, and a 2% cash back credit card to make it more tolerable.

In addition to the other advice, I can share something that worked for me.

I went back to college, acquired new skills and started making more money. I worked multiple jobs (at one point - three at the same time.) until I was completely out of debt – house, cars, student loans – everything. Now instead of throwing away money on interest, my wife and I have money for our hobbies. Also, we did not have children.

Some of my friends tease me about how much I buy. They didn't know me during the rough years.

Last edited:
I usually purchase from BBTS and use their "Pile of loot" feature, which saves on shipping, assuming I let my items accumulate.

However, I have also tried out www.alteregocomics.com few times, and I am impressed - often lower than MSRP, rewards system, great communication, etc..

Back