Sideshow 1/6 Jabba and Throne

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, this landed in my visa card account as US$666 all up, so I was a bit concerned.:lol

Anyway, this is quite a piece - yet again, a Sideshow piece that I was sort of in the middle on in pics turned out to be a serious wow-piece in hand. The level of sculpt detail and quality of paint app is really pretty remarkable. This would be in the top five best 1/6 collectibles I've seen in-hand, maybe top two. I understand the "sheen" issues people mentioned but on mine it only has light sheen in a few areas and looks like some very light brushing with matte clear will take care of it.

I was surprised that the eye and mouth gaps weren't nearly the issue I had expected - while I definitely got a good one (I have looked at/saved pretty much every posted pic of this piece since it shipped and have watched every single Youtube video, so I've seen a LOT of these) in terms of piece fit and paint, all the swap pieces have a slight wiggle ability that means you can get the gaps down to something barely visible from normal viewing distance. The left side mouth seam is the only one I see from normal distance, and it's pretty much as snug as you could get it. The more square-on you view it, the less visible they are.

The Salacious was also a surprise - it somehow captures the puppet in a really precise way in both paint and sculpt. The one issue is the slightly muscular arms - I will likely use the arms from my old Salaciious. The fragility is a real issue (I had no breakages at all) on not just the ears but also the hair bits too. I will like cut that off and add real fur. It's a mystery why SSC did that the way they did.

Speaking of arms - the one problem with Jabba overall, the thing that hurts the piece in multiple ways quite a bit - is the arms. They are somewhat too large/thick overall, too extended out from the body (they had a human arm inside them - no way could a human arm fit in these) and the hands are at least 50% too big. His hands aren't a huge amount larger than a human hand - these make Gammy hands look dainty.

It messes up the overall body proportions (making him appear "squashed down" and overly wide in the upper torso) and there's really not much you can do with posing them to hide it because there's only two posed possibilities and both are pretty obvious.

The one thing I'll be doing paint-wise other than a light brushing of matte clear is to make everything that's yellow on the mouth ooze/dribble a milky-white color. I will also likely cast the tongue and use a shortened version for the other open mouth (like that extends maybe 1/2 the distance of the existing one.)

Haven't had time to get to the throne or other pieces yet.

I removed the arms from my old Jabba - I will cast those as well as the "shoulders" of the new arms and create a hybrid that's 3/4 old arms and 1/4 new. I held the arms up to the new body to very roughly show how they look (though obviously I couldn't get the arms all the way in.)

ZXokIdD.jpg

TsOTgJr.jpg

3qRCSrp.jpg

DBzFxaY.jpg

udlD5SX.jpg

This write up made me even more excited to receive my Jabba. Thanks! ...hope he’ll arrive in Europe soon.

One thing I forgot to mention for people still waiting for this - the box it comes in I could fairly comfortably and completely fit inside, and I'm 6' tall. And it's heavy enough that you want to watch your back when picking up/carrying it.

The logistics on this are tricky too - with everything out (shipper, glossy box, the various layers of the massive styrene inners,) it pretty much takes over the room, and if you're swapping out the old throne and Jabba, which both have sizable boxes themselves, it's quite a job.

It's delicate work too - there's so much that's very fragile with this set. While Jabba himself feels sort of durable (not drop-able like old Jabba though,) as do the various swap-out parts, anything to do with Salacious or the throne/bowl etc is very unnerving to handle. Salacious kind of barely holds toegther with the magnets in terms of moving him around - it sort of feels like the head or limbs might fall off as you move him, though the neck magnet is in reality pretty sturdy.

I wouldn’t worry about it too much. It is noticeable, to a degree, but overall I’m super impressed with this piece, regardless of any flaws (which pretty much every figure has).

One thing I forgot to mention for people still waiting for this - the box it comes in I could fairly comfortably and completely fit inside, and I'm 6' tall. And it's heavy enough that you want to watch your back when picking up/carrying it.

The logistics on this are tricky too - with everything out (shipper, glossy box, the various layers of the massive styrene inners,) it pretty much takes over the room, and if you're swapping out the old throne and Jabba, which both have sizable boxes themselves, it's quite a job.

It's delicate work too - there's so much that's very fragile with this set. While Jabba himself feels sort of durable (not drop-able like old Jabba though,) as do the various swap-out parts, anything to do with Salacious or the throne/bowl etc is very unnerving to handle. Salacious kind of barely holds toegther with the magnets in terms of moving him around - it sort of feels like the head or limbs might fall off as you move him, though the neck magnet is in reality pretty sturdy.

Thanks. I'm still very excited to display this. I don't think the arms will bother me when he's set up. He looks like an incredible piece. Thanks also for unboxing/ setting-up tips. Always good to know what to look out for.

Thanks. I'm still very excited to display this. I don't think the arms will bother me when he's set up. He looks like an incredible piece. Thanks also for unboxing/ setting-up tips. Always good to know what to look out for.

Yeah, I'll post some more extensive pics in about a week - it will take time to break down the old set-up and get the new set-up figured out with surrounding figs etc.

The arms are probably totally fine for most, but to me it not only alters the proportions of the overall fig as I said, it makes the Jabba himself appear too large in relation to other figures when he actually isn't. It was what was throwing it off for me in pics, and it was a relief to me to realize it wasn't that the figure itself was off, just the arms (which are somewaht easy to fix.)

I'll have to see if the modded arms I make will be able to be cast so people can try them if they like.

The old Jabba arms are in proportion to a normal human 1/6 arm (even if its way fatter in the forearm and upper arm/shoulder) this is how the Jabba puppet arms/hands worked. The fairly small hands and somewhat stumpy arms compared to his huge/fat head/body is one of the things that makes Jabba's look more comically distinctive.

I will say again - the paint on this set is just out of this world. I really couldn't see how Ht could top it. The throne, bowl and railing are also stunningly well done - even up close the railing and bowl looks like real glass and metal and the bowl illusion is 100% real, even from a few inches away. A MASSIVE improvement over the old throne.

Yeah, I'll post some more extensive pics in about a week - it will take time to break down the old set-up and get the new set-up figured out with surrounding figs etc.

The arms are probably totally fine for most, but to me it not only alters the proportions of the overall fig as I said, it makes the Jabba himself appear too large in relation to other figures when he actually isn't. It was what was throwing it off for me in pics, and it was a relief to me to realize it wasn't that the figure itself was off, just the arms (which are somewaht easy to fix.)

I'll have to see if the modded arms I make will be able to be cast so people can try them if they like.

The old Jabba arms are in proportion to a normal human 1/6 arm (even if its way fatter in the forearm and upper arm/shoulder) this is how the Jabba puppet arms/hands worked. The fairly small hands and somewhat stumpy arms compared to his huge/fat head/body is one of the things that makes Jabba's look more comically distinctive.

I will say again - the paint on this set is just out of this world. I really couldn't see how Ht could top it. The throne, bowl and railing are also stunningly well done - even up close the railing and bowl looks like real glass and metal and the bowl illusion is 100% real, even from a few inches away. A MASSIVE improvement over the old throne.

So nice to hear! ...can’t wait.
I don’t think the arms will be a big problem for me, but if they are your solution looks and sounds really good.

Congrats TB, seems like there are only a few cases with issues in paint and ill-fitted pieces. Interesting take on the v1 arms on the new one and looking forward to see how you cast them to fit. They do look much better proportioned.

Congrats TB, seems like there are only a few cases with issues in paint and ill-fitted pieces. Interesting take on the v1 arms on the new one and looking forward to see how you cast them to fit. They do look much better proportioned.

Yeah, I just need to buy some more resin and maybe some more mold making putty. The only tricky part will be merging the two arms (new arm shoulder to old arms/hands.) Fortunately the paint on the arms is a bit different to the body anyway so you don't have to precisely match. I really want his right arm to be able to lay flat on his belly but also to do the Jabba "raised/pointing finger" like he's making a point. That may mean making two right arms.:(

I'm excited to be replacing the gorilla arms though - I have to finish Bossk but this is my priority after that.

This set is really pretty staggering overall. I even fell in love with the "tongue mouth" - other than the bright yellow paint on the dribbles it's so well done.

Mine is #913 on the brown shipper. I noticed in the early reviews the number on the boxes were in the sub-100 range (Mighty Jabba, who I think was one of the first to get this, was in this very low range) or a bit over. The ones in the past month have been in the 700 range up to 900.

I wonder if this had a production run of 1000? It's a bit strange they hand-write the number on each box - you'd think they'd only do that if it was a finite number of pieces, but I guess it could be 1500 or even 2000 but they haven't sold that many yet.

It's also possible the higher numbers - say 800 to 1000 - went to overseas distribs and if you bought one domestic from SSC it would still be in the 300-400 range.

I don’t recall the exact number, I know it was low 400s (I think it was 409) — I POd from Timewalker, shipped direct from Sideshow.

It's silly they number the boxes but don't officially number the product. It's pretty obvious most collectors like there collection numbered. So why not do it.
And yes I know some people don't give a toss, buy I prefer numbered pieces.

It's silly they number the boxes but don't officially number the product. It's pretty obvious most collectors like there collection numbered. So why not do it.
And yes I know some people don't give a toss, buy I prefer numbered pieces.

Probably because it doesn’t make sense to number the product if there isn’t a specific edition size. These are made according to demand.

Just release as open editon that way just stop production when sale's stop. I would love to know how many on all 1/6 release's. Def from smaller compay's. I get this kinda brings out flippers n hoarding in collector's . In larger scale release's it just be nice to know number's for us to buy before sell's out.

Just release as open editon that way just stop production when sale's stop. I would love to know how many on all 1/6 release's. Def from smaller compay's. I get this kinda brings out flippers n hoarding in collector's . In larger scale release's it just be nice to know number's for us to buy before sell's out.

But isn’t that sort of what they do with this? I mean they number the boxes and we’ll see how high the numbers go. I don’t think they should number the individual pieces if there’s no limitation.

But isn’t that sort of what they do with this? I mean they number the boxes and we’ll see how high the numbers go. I don’t think they should number the individual pieces if there’s no limitation.

That's the question I had - why would they number the boxes if it's not limited? If this was "batches made as needed" why would they do that? It's also kind of weird that the first buyers seemed to get very low numbers and now the more recent ones are higher - like they are selling in sequence. I only noticed this because I saw so pretty much every review video/posting since it started shipping.:lol

That's the question I had - why would they number the boxes if it's not limited? If this was "batches made as needed" why would they do that? It's also kind of weird that the first buyers seemed to get very low numbers and now the more recent ones are higher - like they are selling in sequence. I only noticed this because I saw so pretty much every review video/posting since it started shipping.:lol

Maybe they have number they are planning to produce, but want to be able to produce more later if they sell well.

Maybe the number on the box was just an inventory control sort of thing...? Since it seems people are getting rather random numbers, it could just be whatever box was conveniently close by when the warehouse was picking them. I find it hard to believe they've sold over 900 of these so far -- I mean, who's buying this aside from geeks like us? Just a hypothesis...

Maybe the number on the box was just an inventory control sort of thing...? Since it seems people are getting rather random numbers, it could just be whatever box was conveniently close by when the warehouse was picking them. I find it hard to believe they've sold over 900 of these so far -- I mean, who's buying this aside from geeks like us? Just a hypothesis...

As I said earlier, it's also possible that the first maybe 600 are being sold by Sideshow directly whereas the later 400 are for overseas retailers - seems like the ones I've seen that are the higher numbers (like 700-900) have been foreign buyers. I haven't seen many numbers in the middle - like 450-650 - just lower in the 100-400 range or up in the 800-900 range.

But yeah a massive Jabba set for US$800-1000? You'd think you could fit all of those buyers globally into a single living room (that had a line of PT posters, a life size Vader and an entire wall of unopened POTF2 figs.):rotfl

Back