Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
****ing Hot Toys and that bullshoy.:yuck Dark Knight fanboys are also partially to blame.

Blame eBay. If you're a producer like HT and a figure you sold for 150.00 like the original MK1 or Mech Test Tony Stark is going for 500 (now ~800-1000) or more you make a 2.0 version. They saw demand and they answered it. Not doing so is leaving cash on the table.

I can't say any more than the pictures show.

You want some negatives to take the pressure off? I think I can come up with one.

The price is the only negative holding me back. But it's close enough to affordable that it's moot. Truth is, my mind is already set on buying it, but only if I feel bad about it first.

I'm glad I bought the die-cast 3P0 by Tamishii... I do like the SS version, but I only paid a bit more for mine than SS is charging for theirs. The actuator rods inside the elbow joints are a bit over-sized on the Tamishii, but I can ignore that- I might even do a mod to fix them. One thing about the SS version that I CAN'T ignore, is the fact that the head is too broad side-to-side. Take a look at the photos in which 3P0 is looking straight at you; it looks a bit over-inflated.

Haha Lejuan, you better get that order in! Hurry up and join the early adopters of the New SS Order in the sun....:lol

I'm glad I bought the die-cast 3P0 by Tamishii... I do like the SS version, but I only paid a bit more for mine than SS is charging for theirs. The actuator rods inside the elbow joints are a bit over-sized on the Tamishii, but I can ignore that- I might even do a mod to fix them. One thing about the SS version that I CAN'T ignore, is the fact that the head is too broad side-to-side. Take a look at the photos in which 3P0 is looking straight at you; it looks a bit over-inflated.

Yeah, love the body, not crazy about the head.

Main issues with the SSC:

1. Headsculpt is off (too wide, chin too prominent, facial features too closely clustered.)
2. Unclear what the eyes will actually look like on finished figure (video and new pics show two totally different things)
3. Finish will be critical in terms of gold "mirror" and weathering - proto looks awesome but SSC's proto-to-production record not great.
4. elbow articulation will be extremely fragile and - if broken - unfixable. Weathering will clog the sliders.

But... ORDERED!:lol

On the whole, it looks awesome and the posability is excellent.

How to cite all these criticisms and order? I find it rather successful and yet I will not be ordering. First because I have the Tamashii and it is a wonder, secondly because of the price. Too expensive for a figure without accessories or decor.
I recognize, however, that $$C version is pretty good for the rest and I appreciate the choice of ANH weathered versions. The exclusive is really cheap, where the snatched arms? I agree the elbow articulation will be extremely fragile and not accurate.

How to cite all these criticisms and order? I find it rather successful and yet I will not be ordering. First because I have the Tamashii and it is a wonder, secondly because of the price. Too expensive for a figure without accessories or decor.
I recognize, however, that $$C version is pretty good for the rest and I appreciate the choice of ANH weathered versions. The exclusive is really cheap, where the snatched arms? I agree the elbow articulation will be extremely fragile and not accurate.

Because most of what I listed is LIKELY going to be a problem, not actually IS. :lol Well, except the head which IS pretty off, but still looks nice from certain angles. Overall, it's a really nice piece despite the flaws.

oh- one more thing about the SS version that I do not like: In the preview video, it shows the waist being flexed, and reveals that the waist area is rubber. I'm not positive, but it also looks like some of the wires are relief-sculpted into that rubber.

Elbows are accurate.

3po.jpg

Portrait flaws are miniscule and don't affect the likeness.

Question: what will the eyes look like (lit)? Unlit they look pretty dark, but the promo and order pictures look different plus both look different from the video. Only one set photoshopped or both?

ImageProxy.jpg

2171-c-3po-001.jpg

Well overall its an amazing job by SideShow, it just looks like the suit, but I agree that the head is off. The most notable thing to me is that the nose on theirs is a slot and the actual helmet has a ridge:

C3PO.jpg

At this price I am glad I went with the Tamashi, looking forward to seeing side by side comparisons.

Question: what will the eyes look like (lit)? Unlit they look pretty dark, but the promo and order pictures look different plus both look different from the video. Only one set photoshopped or both?

In the newest pics, it looks like it's translucent white plastic that has a photograph of the interior of 3PO's eyes glued over it to make it look like its 3D detail like in the real 3PO eyes. Either that or it's just photoshopped for the pics.

In the video it just shows white plastic that is then backlit - but in the pics it shows the photo glued onto the plastic, giving it that orange/red hue with the detail dots. It would look decent from a distance.

Well overall its an amazing job by SideShow, it just looks like the suit, but I agree that the head is off. The most notable thing to me is that the nose on theirs is a slot and the actual helmet has a ridge:

View attachment 147543

At this price I am glad I went with the Tamashi, looking forward to seeing side by side comparisons.

No, that's just a harsh shadow on the SSC - it's sculpted ridge, no slot.

Back