Sideshow 1/6 C-3PO

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may pick one up and just weather that bad boy myself.
If I can work with a Hasbro turd, then this should be a piece of cake.

With a lot of work, the Hasbro can look pretty good (though I tore the head apart and tried to rebuild it.)

YUP, I do not want the tami version on my detolf shelf....and Hot toys? Well......I dunno how much better it would be.....and likely 300 also.

I am happy with what I am seeing...

Yeah, with all the grief over most of the HT SW line (even Luke now,) you'd think people would be over the "I'll wait for HT" thing.

The Leia looks stellar, but every HT SW release has been a surprisingly bumpy road - Vader was touch and go for a long time - so you really have to wonder about a HT 3PO.

I don't like how the rods under his neck are attached and not detached like they are suppose to.

Yeah, that is something that is actually contributing to the likeness being off. They're way too turned inward. I really hope those rods can be repositioned.

Yeah, with all the grief over most of the HT SW line (even Luke now,) you'd think people would be over the "I'll wait for HT" thing. The Leia looks stellar, but every HT SW release has been a surprisingly bumpy road - Vader was touch an go for a long time - so you really have to wonder about a HT 3PO.

This is my take on the line so far, with only Han, Chewie and Stormtrooper in hand to date and the rest based on pics:

Obi Wan - average
Han Solo - average
Luke - average
Chewie - good
Stormtrooper - excellent
Vader - good
Liea - looks good

This is my take on the line so far, with only Han, Chewie and Stormtrooper in hand to date and the rest based on pics:

Obi Wan - average
Han Solo - average
Luke - average
Chewie - good
Stormtrooper - excellent
Vader - good
Liea - looks good

Yeah, I'm pretty in line with your assessments (I'd maybe peg Obi Wan a whisker below average,) but while I love the stormie in-hand - armor fit, joints etc - I don't feel like they nailed the iconic stunt stormie helmet, so it starts to fall back closer to a "good" to me. That being said, I have two.

I know Chewy has problems, but I LOVE that figure. And yeah, I have two of that one as well.:slap

It's great having no need for TFA figs - I feel like I'm buying two of everything (and yeah, I'll shortly have two 3PO's.)

Obi Wan - average
Han Solo - average
Luke - average
Chewie - good
Stormtrooper - excellent
Vader - good
Liea - looks good

Tough judge. That mean all the corresponding SS ANH characters get poor to fail?

Obi Wan - average
Han Solo - average
Luke - average
Chewie - good
Stormtrooper - excellent
Vader - good
Liea - looks good

if you posted this 5 years ago it would have went something like this.

Obi Wan - Amazing figure
Han Solo - Amazing figure
Luke - Amazing figure
Chewie - Amazing figure, looks so real
Stormtrooper - Amazing figure
Vader - Amazing Figure
Liea - She will be amazing like the rest of them.

Can't believe I've got all these amazing figures, it's like having a miniture Star Wars set in my room.

I would say HT definitely has to raise the bar from now on. With prices what they are , people will expect flawless results or very close to flawless.

I would say alot of these figure are very very good, but most of them are flawed in some way.

My ranking....
Obi Wan - average
Han Solo - below average
Luke - good
Chewie - average, although some recent pics of people who cleaned that black crap off his face may move him to good.
Stormtrooper - excellent
Vader - good
Liea - good

Obi Wan - Amazing figure
Luke - Amazing figure
Vader - Amazing Figure

Can't believe I've got all these amazing figures, it's like having a miniture Star Wars set in my room.

:lol So true. I should definitely appreciate what I've got.

Yeah, I'm pretty in line with your assessments (I'd maybe peg Obi Wan a whisker below average,) but while I love the stormie in-hand - armor fit, joints etc - I don't feel like they nailed the iconic stunt stormie helmet, so it starts to fall back closer to a "good" to me. That being said, I have two.

I know Chewy has problems, but I LOVE that figure. And yeah, I have two of that one as well.:slap

It's great having no need for TFA figs - I feel like I'm buying two of everything (and yeah, I'll shortly have two 3PO's.)

Yeh, I'm not tempted by a single TFA figure, which is a relief (and sort of a disappointment at the same time). It'd be Rey though if I was.

And Chewie gets cut a lot of slack in my book for even being on the market :)

Tough judge. That mean all the corresponding SS ANH characters get poor to fail?

No, not at all. I think in their day they were really very good. I'm holding the HT line up against their own best figures.

Obi Wan - Amazing figure
Luke - Amazing figure
Vader - Amazing Figure

Very true, but my favourite HT figure is Jack Sparrow. None of these hold a candle to that one :)

I would say HT definitely has to raise the bar from now on. With prices what they are , people will expect flawless results or very close to flawless.

I would say alot of these figure are very very good, but most of them are flawed in some way.

My ranking....
Obi Wan - average
Han Solo - below average
Luke - good
Chewie - average, although some recent pics of people who cleaned that black crap off his face may move him to good.
Stormtrooper - excellent
Vader - good
Liea - good

Yeh, that's the other thing - price. Sideshow's stormtrooper could be had for $80-90. Even accounting for inflation, 5 years on we're paying well over double that. Obviously paint apps make the big difference with the human figures, but sculpt and costume isn't doubly good.

Yeah, I'm thinking I might just soften up some of the weathering myself. Any tips?

The workflow on R2-D2 was use 90% rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab (or torn kitchen sponge) to remove the factory grime layer and then oil paint and turpenoid washes to add oil and discoloration.

This was my effort (I need to replace my dome batteries BTW):
KJUwxApl.jpg

M78yu9zl.jpg

do1PsBAl.jpg

30HFoqZl.jpg

It has to be said over and over - HT Ben, Luke, Han and Leia together will set you back nearly $1000. That's $750 more than the corresponding SSC figs. If there's a good time to be a tough judge, this is it.

What we really need here are "one and done" figures. Nail the likeness, nail the outfit, put it on a quality body and whether there's re-issues, updated sculpts, whatever - you can say "I'm done with that character." Not many of the HT figs so far qualify as that - at least for me. All have struggled to varying degrees with likeness and/or outfit. In general, I want more for $230 than what I'm seeing in many of these figs.

The workflow on R2-D2 was use 90% rubbing alcohol and a cotton swab (or torn kitchen sponge) to remove the factory grime layer and then oil paint and turpenoid washes to add oil and discoloration.

KJUwxApl.jpg

Thanks for reposting. I thought yours came out best. I'm still yet to attack my R2 with the swab but I've saved your post for reference.

Well, as usual around here, a few pictures have folks scrambling for the big " C " button. ... Not seeing a disaster just yet.....looking forward to seeing what Sideshow came up with here for myself. Not too much longer now. ....

What we really need here are "one and done" figures. Nail the likeness, nail the outfit, put it on a quality body and whether there's re-issues, updated sculpts, whatever - you can say "I'm done with that character."

That's just not very realistic. Definitive character figure by whose opinion?

Improvements continue. Real hair WILL come one day. Likely some kind of real feel "silicon skin". There just can't be a 'definitive set'.

I've decided to go with HT because:
1) They have a complete set of ANH heroes within the same developmental period (along with the SS droids)
2) I want out :)

That's just not very realistic. Definitive character figure by whose opinion?

Improvements continue. Real hair WILL come one day. Likely some kind of real feel "silicon skin". There just can't be a 'definitive set'.

I've decided to go with HT because:
1) They have a complete set of ANH heroes within the same developmental period (along with the SS droids)
2) I want out :)

Eh... nailed is nailed. HT empirically nailed Jack Sparrow (you can nitpick, but no one could deny that,) you didn't need another one even if others came along. That was "definitive." Joker DX01 - other versions followed, different, but no "more nailed" than DX01. Also definitive.

None of their SW sculpts have been nailed like that. But it kind of makes business sense - look at all the "near miss" Arnie sculpts HT has done (squashed head Arnie, teenager Arnie, etc.) - all with "Improvements" like real leather jacket.:slap

Improvements continue, but honestly, developments are far less noticeable than what we were seeing in the 2007 to 2012 period. Sideshow's in its own arrested development time warp and aren't really state of the art, so they aren't included in this.

And real hair and real feel skin?.:lol Demi Moore will approve.:horror

And you want out? Unfortunately, 1/6 collecting is like the Hotel California...

Excellent! Thank you!

Back