Shropt's Customs

Collector Freaks Forum

Help Support Collector Freaks Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shropt

My Little Mod
Reaction score
Hello everybody.

I got the customizing bug again.

My first attempt in years to paint a figure is my Salacious Crumb. This figure has bugged me since the day I received him. I always believed his color was wrong and his open mouth pose had to go.

Here is him straight out of the box celebrating Christmas:
xmasjabba03.jpg

First I looked at his lower jaw and noticed that it was a seperate piece from the rest of his head. I took a heat gun and heated up the jaw while running a sharp knife along the seam to pry it out. When the jaw finally came out I noticed that the jaw fit very well with the top of his mouth. So well actually that I now believe SSC planned on having an articulated jaw very late in the prototype stage. The jaw looked so good in my hands that I chose to not even take off the peg behind it. (Sorry no pics :()

While holding the lower jaw in place I superglued it and then sealed the hole with Super Sculpey. I sculpted the Sculpey to give it the same detail as his neck and added a bit of detail myself.

crumbc01.jpg

crumbc02.jpg

I baked this at 275 for 10 minutes and then turned off the oven and let him sit inside for another 30 minutes. One side effect is that his tail drooped to the side and is now stuck there. Funny thing is that I planned on doing something similar with the tail and now I no longer need to do it! :D

After sculpting was finished I bought some paint and started painting.

I mixed a very light skin color that closely matches the lighter skin color of the 1:1 SSC figure. I plan on following this up with a few very thin washes of red and brown.

crumbc03.jpg

That's where I am at now. I'll update my progress.

This will be completed unlike my failed last failed attempt at sculpting.

https://www.sideshowcollectors.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28268&highlight=sculpting

hmmm.........interesting and great job so far. he does look tons better with his mouth closed.

Update:

I just added the first orange wash to the figure and I did a few touchups on my first paintjob. I've learned it helps to have lots of light and not to work when you are tired.

crumbc04.jpg

I also wanted to share what I'm using for reference. I have "From Star Wars to Indiana Jones" from 1994 that is a collection of props from all of the movies. Here is what Salacious looked like in 1994:

crumbc05.jpg

And here is the 1:1 statue from SSC:

crumb01-1.jpg

I plan on painting him somewhere between these 2 paintjobs.

Progess is being made.

Here is a picture of Crumb this morning. He has had quite a few more washes over his entire body and I have begun painting the inside of his ears and his hair.

crumbc06.jpg

Now his main body is finished and I believe his neckhair is finished. I may add more detail to his other hair locations and the inside of his ears but I will decide that tomorrow. I am also questioning adding more to his nails but I think a coat of gloss will add what I'm looking for.

crumbc08.jpg

crumbc09.jpg

Tomorrow will be interesting when I repaint his eyes. I believe I will practice on some paper before I try on the body. I also must decide whether I should make his eyes 2 colors (yellow and black) or 3 (yellow, orange, black).

What do you guys think?

EDIT 9/07/08:

I replaced the last pics with much better pictures.

Last edited:
i think hes really shaping up well. cant wait to see the end result. excellent dude !!
as far as eye color ...........could you do one one way and the other one way and see what you like best then repaint the one you choose????????..............or is that too much hassle??

i think hes really shaping up well. cant wait to see the end result. excellent dude !!
as far as eye color ...........could you do one one way and the other one way and see what you like best then repaint the one you choose????????..............or is that too much hassle??

Well, I haven't had much luck taking paint off after painting it so maybe not. Good idea though. I may try it.

Wow, its been a while.

So I finally finished Salacious Crumb. Here is the final paint up:

scfinish01.jpg

scfinish02.jpg

I'm happy how he finally came out. This is the first and the last time I do a complete repaint. It is soooo much work and it seems like I was always messing up one area while painting another.

My second repaint was my new Wall-E figure. I could only find the factory new version of the "Star Wars scale" figure so I decided to paint him up myself. I tried to come as close to the movie as possible.

This is how he came originally:

41xNtj%2BbUoL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

And the final paint up:

walle01.jpg

walle02.jpg

walle03.jpg

And a picture for reference:
new-wall-e-box-sitting.jpg

Wall-E was fun and it really gave me the drive to try a few more projects.

Last edited:
And my last update for the night is something for my Christmas Jabba setup.

I wanted to have a few of the people opening presents. I imagined having Leia opening up a package to find her new slavegirl outfit. So, I needed to make a bra.

This was completely hand crafted from still photos.

bra01.jpg

bra02.jpg

And the final bra. I also added a skirt coming out of a box to finish the scene.

bra03.jpg

That's all for now. I have one or two things in progress but it may be a while till the next update.

dude..............s crumb , wall-e, and pl 's bra = awesome !!!!!!!!!! that crumb came out especially nice. great work all the way around.

Bumping this thread up from the depths!!

I did this repaint a while back. My Papo Raptor was bugging me badly because his jaw was one color and the rest of him was another.

I decided to repaint the jaw while at the same time adding paint to the claws and nostrils. I finished him up with A LOT of gloss paint to his eyes and mouth to add that wet feeling.

Check them out.

raptor01.jpg

raptor02.jpg

raptor03.jpg

I finally had the guts to attack my Gammy. I pulled on his head slowly and low and behold it wasn't a ball joint as I had thought but just a twist head. The head works but twisting on the top connection but resting on a black plastic ring.

Seen here:
gammymod04.jpg

gammymod05.jpg

So I got the idea to just use the black ring as the connection and to widen the neck hole. I just took my trusty dremel and SLOWLY widened the ring. A few things to note, the head is very soft plastic and the back of his eyes are close to the widened hole so take it easy.

BEGIN NOTE: I later found out that my head was a reject. The black ring should have stayed in the head and been a hole for a ball joint seen here:
004nnw.jpg

005od.jpg

So if your head is correct what you'd want to do is pry out the black ring (with everything else) out. Then glue that piece to the nub on the neck. Then follow the rest of my directions. END NOTE

So the mod is simple, remove the head and slowly widen the hole until the head squishes on the black ring and just touches his shoulders. The best part is you don't lose the movement of the head and... NO MORE NECK HOLE IN THE BACK!!!! That's 2, 2, 2 mods in one!

Check the pics!!

gammymod01.jpg

gammymod02.jpg

gammymod03.jpg

For the repaint, the only thing I did was match the color at the bottom of his cheeks and then painted his nose and lips that color to match the movie. I also yellowed his teeth and horns to better match the more yellow color of the movie. I then used some nice gloss to give him a really wet drool and nose and added a touch of gloss to the eyes. I'm extremely happy how he came out.

gammymod06.jpg

gammymod07.jpg

And the reference photo I used:

Gamorrean-hd.jpg

Back